What's new

Official KINO Insider Announcements Thread: STRICTLY MODERATED: READ GUIDELINES (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Coming Soon From Kino Classics!
First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!

Stage Struck (1925) Starring Gloria Swanson, Lawrence Gray, Gertrude Astor and Ford Sterling - Directed by Allan Dwan

Stage_struck_.jpg

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
One of the main reasons we acquired THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY was to FINALLY release the beloved theatrical cut. Many of the older fans who grew up watching the original disliked and even hated the extended cut, not just because it almost ruins the masterpiece, but also because it had completely replaced the original.

We had no idea the 4K restoration had some complaints due to the overall yellowishness of the master. We decided to do our own tests and agreed that it was a bit too yellow, so we did some minor color correction to create a version we feel is closest to the prints we had all seen screened many times and we don't agree with fans who think we should've gone further to create the look of the old releases, which we felt were too blue. What we'll be releasing will be the essential Blu-ray release of the classic, it will include both cuts, include all the previously produced extras and some very cool new ones. Will everyone be 100% happy with the transfer? We hope so, but realistically we doubt it, we think most of the fans will be very happy, some may still have issues with the color, and others will just post negative comments just to get a reaction because that's what they do.

Mr. Lime, When I purchase this title, it will be the first time I've seen it. Some people may bicker about the coloring, but I for one want to thank you and Kino for all your hard work releasing this title!

I await it's release!

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Now that those two WC Fields silents are coming, it is long overdue for a video release of the 1928 Stroheim/Fay Wray, The Wedding March(Paramount 1928) which is in the National Registry and restored. The partner film, The Honeymoon(1928) is believed completely lost now due to the only know copy being destroyed in a French film archive fire in 1959(which I saw footage in a news progam in my country at the time. Probably no one outside Henry Langlois knew it was there knowing his haphazard ways and possessiveness.

Last edited:

Poya Eivazmohammadi

Auditioning
Real Name
HBarnill
One of the main reasons we acquired THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY was to FINALLY release the beloved theatrical cut. Many of the older fans who grew up watching the original disliked and even hated the extended cut, not just because it almost ruins the masterpiece, but also because it had completely replaced the original.

We had no idea the 4K restoration had some complaints due to the overall yellowishness of the master. We decided to do our own tests and agreed that it was a bit too yellow, so we did some minor color correction to create a version we feel is closest to the prints we had all seen screened many times and we don't agree with fans who think we should've gone further to create the look of the old releases, which we felt were too blue. What we'll be releasing will be the essential Blu-ray release of the classic, it will include both cuts, include all the previously produced extras and some very cool new ones. Will everyone be 100% happy with the transfer? We hope so, but realistically we doubt it, we think most of the fans will be very happy, some may still have issues with the color, and others will just post negative comments just to get a reaction because that's what they do.

Sounds reasonable. Thank you for the response. I agree that some fans can be too critical for the sake of it. I am glad you are looking at prints for the reference. I hope they're the much-praised IB Tech prints. Regardless, thank you.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Now that those two WC Fields silents are coming, it is long overdue for a video release of the 1928 Stroheim/Fay Wray, The Wedding March(Paramount 1928) which is in the National Registry and restored. The partner film, The Honeymoon(1928) is believed completely lost now due to the only know copy being destroyed in a French film archive fire in 1959(which I saw footage in a news progam in my country at the time. Probably no one outside Henry Langlois knew it was there knowing his haphazard ways and possessiveness.

So you think we asked for the lesser known W.C. Fields films, but somehow skipped The Wedding March? :) We asked for The Wedding March, but it wasn't available.

Spili

Agent
Real Name
Marco
What we'll be releasing will be the essential Blu-ray release of the classic, it will include both cuts, include all the previously produced extras and some very cool new ones. Will everyone be 100% happy with the transfer? We hope so, but realistically we doubt it, we think most of the fans will be very happy, some may still have issues with the color, and others will just post negative comments just to get a reaction because that's what they do.

Content removed by mods. Move along.

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Coming Soon on DVD and Blu-ray!
Oscar Nominee: Best Actress (Jones)
Oscar Nominee: Best Supporting Actress (Gish)

Duel in the Sun (1946) Starring Jennifer Jones, Gregory Peck, Joseph Cotten, Lionel Barrymore, Herbert Marshall, Lillian Gish, Walter Huston, Charles Bickford, Harry Carey, Tilly Losch, Butterfly McQueen and Otto Kruger - Shot by Lee Garmes (Scarface), Ray Rennahan (For Whom the Bell Tolls) and Harold Rosson (Wizard of Oz) - Score by Dimitri Tiomkin (Rio Bravo) - Screenplay by David O. Selznick (Since You Went Away) - Directed by King Vidor (The Fountainhead, Ruby Gentry)

duel_sun.jpg

Carcosa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Barr

Duel in the Sun (1946) Starring Jennifer Jones, Gregory Peck, Joseph Cotten, Lionel Barrymore, Herbert Marshall, Lillian Gish, Walter Huston, Charles Bickford, Harry Carey, Tilly Losch, Butterfly McQueen and Otto Kruger - Shot by Lee Garmes (Scarface), Ray Rennahan (For Whom the Bell Tolls) and Harold Rosson (Wizard of Oz) - Score by Dimitri Tiomkin (Rio Bravo) - Screenplay by David O. Selznick (Since You Went Away) - Directed by King Vidor (The Fountainhead, Ruby Gentry)

View attachment 37513

The hits keep on comin... :banana:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack

View attachment 37513

Really glad to see that this is coming out on Blu-ray. While this may not be Selznick's best film, it has a lot to like the gorgeous Technicolor photography, Gregory Peck's performance as the evil brother, and that marvelous Tiomkin score, which has recently undergone a complete rerecording expected to be released around June and will make a nice companion-piece to this Blu-ray. Incidentally, will this be the full roadshow version?

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
On vacation for a couple weeks and I return to so many outstanding announcements. Duel in the Sun is really fabulous news! NitrateVille posted that a Swanson/Dwan box with Zaza, Manhandled and Stage Struck is in the works. If so, can't wait for that one. I'm hoping and praying that The Covered Wagon may still be a possibility in the near future. I've been to several screenings of it over the years and it's become one of my all time favorites. Again, thank you Kino!

Lil Brutto

Agent
Real Name
LB
One of the main reasons we acquired THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY was to FINALLY release the beloved theatrical cut...

MisterLime,

I’m very happy that there will be an official release of the 1967 US theatrical cut of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Unfortunately, the 4K extended version is missing some of the necessary elements you would need to accurately recreate this version. Can you share with the community here what your reference materials/picture elements are going to be to recreate the 1967 US theatrical cut?

Here’s a quick list of the elements missing from the current 4K restoration. If you were to simply cut that down to try and recreate the theatrical cut you would be missing the following:

1. Original 1967 production company credit is altered

2. There is supposed to be a “flip cut” transition/optical wipe from Tuco talking to Blondie (and taking a bite of his cigar) to being hung. The extended version simply cuts instead of doing the flip wipe (most likely because the flip cut was an optical not present in the original negative).

3. There is not supposed to be a fade out on the gun shop owner with the sign in his mouth in the US theatrical cut. It is supposed to cut directly to the shot of the mass exodus of Sibley and his soldiers. Currently the extended cut fades out early to black, meaning it won’t be possible to use the tail end of the gun shop owner shot.

4. The MGM 4K fades out earlier when Blondie passes out and Tuco is bringing him water in the desert. The fade out in the desert scene is supposed to happen approximately 2 to 3 seconds later.

5. The MGM 4K has a dissolve from the night mission scene to the scene of the coach arriving to the mission. In the US theatrical cut, this shot is supposed to fade up from black, but now the dissolve is part of the beginning of the shot.

6. The shot of the train leaving the station (with Tuco and Wallace on it) is longer in the US theatrical cut, before cutting directly to Tuco in the train and not dissolving out earlier to the early morning camp scene like the 4K.

MGM-4K_vs_US-theatrical.jpg

The last known home release that resembled the US theatrical cut is the 1998 MGM DVD/LD. MGM used the Italian cut as their primary source for this release and inadvertently incorporated shots from the Italian cut never seen in the US theatrical cut. Adding to the confusion, the 1998 DVD (but not the 1998 LD) is also missing a couple shots that were present in the 1967 release, namely the holstering of Blondie's gun after rescuing Tuco from the 3 bounty hunters, as well as a shot of a brick wall being struck by cannon fire during the scene where is Tuco is attempting to hang Blondie.

An original 1967 UA continuity script is available in order to recreate the US theatrical cut accurately and we are happy to share.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks