What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The bitterness and cynicism inherent in Nathanael West’s original novel hasn’t been tempered much in Vincent J. Donehue’s Lonelyhearts, and its presence certainly weighs down the merits of this late 1950s melodrama.

Lonelyhearts (1958)

Released: 01 Dec 1958
Rated: N/A
Runtime: 100 min

Director: Vincent J. Donehue
Genre: Drama

Cast: Montgomery Clift, Myrna Loy, Robert Ryan
Writer(s): Dore Schary, Howard Teichmann, Nathanael West

Plot: Eager for a job, journalist Adam White accepts the lowly position of columnist for the advice-giving section of the Chronicle but he often clashes with his cynical editor, Shrike.

IMDB rating: 6.7
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: MGM
Distributed By: Kino Lorber...

Continue reading...

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I'm a Monty Clift completist. This film never had a DVD relased. The best we got was a VHS, which I bought out of wanting to making sure I had a copy. I am glad for this Blu-ray release. I am thrilled to read the picture quality is good.

Thanks for the review, Matt!

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Interested in getting this for Clift alone as his performances after his tragic accident were like watching a different actor riveting in their own merits. I’m thinking about Suddenly Last Summer and Freud in particular . However Clift in Raintree County which was just on TCM the other day and the constant shift between his look before and after his accident especially since some scenes when he was younger in the film were obviously shot after the accident and then back to his other look out of sequence just ruined that film for me.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Interested in getting this for Clift alone as his performances after his tragic accident were like watching a different actor riveting in their own merits. I’m thinking about Suddenly Last Summer and Freud in particular . However Clift in Raintree County which was just on TCM the other day and the constant shift between his look before and after his accident especially since some scenes when he was younger in the film were obviously shot after the accident and then back to his other look out of sequence just ruined that film for me.
Yes, it can be very disconcerting. At least in this one, his look is consistent throughout. I had never seen this film before yesterday, and being a Clift fan, I was really looking forward to it, but his fragility really broke my heart, and everyone in it is so unhappy. Even the ending didn't do much to lift my spirits.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Watched this one several times on VHS in the 80's. Looking forward to seeing it again in a better copy and widescreen. Clift is very good in this interesting film. Robert Ryan is always good and newcomer Maureen Stapleton gives a very good performance. Well acted film all around.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Well Vince clearly wanted to make up for it by directing the original Broadway production of The Sound of Music with Mary Martin.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw this movie when it came out. Too heavy for a child. Have seen it since, though only on TV. Have also read the very cynical novel with a very different ending.
Must watch again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks