What's new

Official KINO Insider Announcements Thread: STRICTLY MODERATED: READ GUIDELINES (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Credits such as this are regularly corrected/revised - A Film By Alberto Grimaldi? Really?

gbu.jpg

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Well the US cut need to have all it's original footage complete (not cut or faded out like it is in the fan extended cut by MGM on Blu). I think if it had different credits, they probably need to be put back in.
Hopefully you get those bits from many of the sources they are available from. I'm sure fans owning prints would be happy to contribute those missing shots as we all want this release to be definitive.

Reactions: PMF

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
Well,

In comparing the producer credits, I personally think the one on the right is better since it properly acknowledges the production company and has the copyright notice. I think that card should be used in the restoration.

By the way, MisterLime, I am glad you stepped up to acquire "Good, the Bad, The Ugly" for the new release. I don't know what would have happened if Criterion had taken the title. But I know Kino will give it the attention it deserves.

Speaking of MGM, will there be a chance you will do a proper blu ray issue of the 1934 "Babes In Toyland"? I know it has seen a myriad of video releases since ownership, as we all know by now, has been checkered (we do know MGM now has the distribution rights as part of the Orion library, even though Tribune holds the copyright). I saw the MGM print in December on TCM, and it is the best I have seen in decades after the not-so-good colorized print that was seen on WPIX a couple of years back.

Jordan Krug

Stunt Coordinator
I responded to this on page 245 of this thread and thought it calmed things down, but I guess only for 2 or 3 days. We would love to release the "perfect" version of the classic and fix every "issue" that ever existed with previous releases... we stand by our upcoming release of GBU, which will undoubtedly become the essential release of the masterpiece and again, most will be very happy, others may have some issues, but will understand and others...

Thanks for your time and response, I agree, you absolutely addressed the color issue on page 245. It's fantastic that Kino have taken steps to address that. What lil brutto brought up yesterday was that the theatrical cut cannot be fully completed/recreated using the MGM 4k as the sole source. So, genuinely trying to understand your new response here (which doesn't mention the theatrical cut at all) and "read between the lines", are you saying that the "issues" people could have might be the accuracy of the reconstructed theatrical cut?

Here is Kino's response to a very similar question about using the extended 4k cut as your only source to recreate the theatrical cut on Facebook:

"The extended version were scenes added to the original, so we don't know why it would worry you one way or another."

The "worry" is that it's going to be an "approximation" of the theatrical cut, not an accurate recreation. Grimaldi credit aside, (which I am aware was probably changed for legal copyright reasons and probably can't be changed back) does Kino have the other elements it needs in order to address those small sections pointed out by lil brutto that are not present in the mgm 4k extended cut? If not, there are people willing to provide them to Kino.

Jordan Krug

Stunt Coordinator
A passage from "Conversations Avec Sergio Leone (french book)" :

SERGIO LEONE: I supervised dubbing in English and French, I choose all the actors, from the largest to the smallest role. I fully assume the responsibility of the finished work. Alas! distributors can amputate the film.

Here's hoping that Kino's theatrical cut can finally be called one of Leone's finished works. Unfortunately if it's not accurate than neither cut included in the release will represent what Leone put his director credit on...and that would be a shame.

mike siegel

Auditioning
Real Name
mike siegel
I hope Kino Lorber considers Jordan Krug's input. Boy, this color-mess is on us all for decades now it feels. I saw it on 35mm few times, gorgeous prints and couldn't be more on Jordan's side. We want the 1966 masterpiece, not some modern-pseudo-look... We had the same problem with Peckinpah, total unnecessary (Cross Of Iron, greens all over the place...).

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I agree difference in credit should be a minor concern. The priority should be that the editing of the US cut is 100% frame accurate. That would be a first for this release on digital. Great marketing to boot!

I also wouldn't mind if the cave scene is deleted and put in the extras (as it should be) and the extended cut being accurate to the italian cut. Now that would make a mind blowing (and money making) release. Leone never allowed any release with that scene after he cut it out from the Premiere, and for good reason.

We all have the recent remaster anyway. So anything to make this unique will boost it's sale value.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Well then that's that!

Well the US cut need…

Well, In comparing…

A passage from…

I hope Kino Lorber considers…

I agree difference…

Okay, this needs to stop, I said all I will say about this, please take your complaints elsewhere. This thread is actually for announcements, questions and answers. The critical discussion thread is listed below:

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...your-thoughts-on-kino-lorber-blu-rays.337772/

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Coming June 6th!
First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!

1492: Conquest of Paradise (1992) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Historians Howard S. Berger and Nathaniel Thompson
• Deleted Scenes
• 2.0 Stereo & 5.1 Surround Audio

738329211172.jpg

jack phillips

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard
Let me just add my voice in support of having the original US theatrical cut of the film faithfully represented on home video. I saw an IB Tech print of GBU projected in summer of 2015 and the colors on that looked nothing like the "yellow-ized" abomination that MGM released. I am also concerned about the idea of taking the "extended cut" and trimming it down to achieve the theatrical run-time of the US cut. If this method will not preserve every frame of the original US cut, then something else must be done to achieve the best final result. 2017 is the 50th anniversary of the US cut, so it would be wonderful if the definitive home video edition of the film was released this year. I'm hoping for the best.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
AWESOME!!!!!!!

Thanks MisterLime! The cover art is excellent. Been waiting years for a proper American release. What an overlooked film.

Yeah, me too. I love this film.. Well, actually the look/sound of it more.
it's a pity that the studio that produced it didn't do any 4K scan.
This film deserved it!

I haven't seen the other Colombus film of that year, but they say it's bad..

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary

Jordan Krug

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, this needs to stop, I said all I will say about this, please take your complaints elsewhere. This thread is actually for announcements, questions and answers. The critical discussion thread is listed below:

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...your-thoughts-on-kino-lorber-blu-rays.337772/

Dozens of people excited, asking questions (I wasn't complaining) and talking in depth about a future release of a blu ray from Kino is a bad thing? Wow...so much for word of mouth publicity. I thought this thread was for future releases and the other thread was for discs already released. They're labelled that way. I guess there's nothing left to say anyways...seems an odd business move to avoid answering legitimate questions directly from your market, but you know best. I look forward to the release, and seeing what Kino has done with this amazing film, thank you.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...] but I also believe that fair is fair. And MisterLime answered with great detail and satisfactorily so. Kino was aware and did not ignore. It is to be respected. Therefore, due must be given.

I guess my original Post didn't take; therefore, I was very glad to see the Post that soon followed from MisterLime.
I have no reservations about Kino's efforts and work on "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly".
And I am certain that Kino knows every nook and cranny and history of all the versions ever released;
both theatrically and on home video.
Now, just one thing MisterLime; is there an official release date for my Day One Purchase?
As a matter of fact, I will do my first-ever Pre-Order with "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly";
just to prove that I'm a believer.
Just point me in the right direction.:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks