What's new

Official KINO Insider Announcements Thread: STRICTLY MODERATED: READ GUIDELINES (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Coming June 13th on DVD!
All anamorphic and with optional English subtitles

Brannigan (1975) Starring John Wayne and Directed by Douglas Hickox
• Original Theatrical Trailer & other trailers

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974) Starring Warren Oates and Directed by Sam Peckinpah
• Audio Commentary by Film Historians Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons, David Wedlle and Nick Redman

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959) Starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee - Directed by Terence Fisher
• Featurette with Christopher Lee

From Noon Till Three (1976) Starring Charles Bronson and Directed by Frank D. Gilroy

Runaway Train (1985) Starring Jon Voight and Directed by Andrei Konchalovsky

738329214777.jpg 738329214821.jpg 738329214791.jpg 738329214784.jpg 738329214807.jpg

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Good Day Misterlime:
My question is about the titles Skatetown USA (1979) and Thank God Its Friday (1978). Assuming for now that you don't have the rights to theseSony/Columbia titles, would you by chance have any concrete information on what is really holding up these worthy and fun (IMO) films?

Just wanting your viewpoint and tapping your expertise. Thanks in advance.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
One of the main reasons we acquired THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY was to FINALLY release the beloved theatrical cut. Many of the older fans who grew up watching the original disliked and even hated the extended cut, not just because it almost ruins the masterpiece, but also because it had completely replaced the original.

We had no idea the 4K restoration had some complaints due to the overall yellowishness of the master. We decided to do our own tests and agreed that it was a bit too yellow, so we did some minor color correction to create a version we feel is closest to the prints we had all seen screened many times and we don't agree with fans who think we should've gone further to create the look of the old releases, which we felt were too blue. What we'll be releasing will be the essential Blu-ray release of the classic, it will include both cuts, include all the previously produced extras and some very cool new ones. Will everyone be 100% happy with the transfer? We hope so, but realistically we doubt it, we think most of the fans will be very happy, some may still have issues with the color, and others will just post negative comments just to get a reaction because that's what they do.
This will be a Day One purchase, and I fully appreciate your generous breakdown of the work done. It would be altogether futile for anyone to complain about getting both versions. And all the more futile, when Kino has clearly addressed each and every issue inherited from past transfers.
BRAVO to you and all, MisterLime.:cheers:

Last edited:

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Looks like Kill Baby Kill! was removed from June lineup. I hope it's to add more extras (like Erika Blanc interview) and doesn't repeat the fate of Dark Sky Films DVD release...

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Coming Soon on DVD and Blu-ray!
Oscar Nominee: Best Actress (Jones)
Oscar Nominee: Best Supporting Actress (Gish)

Duel in the Sun (1946) Starring Jennifer Jones, Gregory Peck, Joseph Cotten, Lionel Barrymore, Herbert Marshall, Lillian Gish, Walter Huston, Charles Bickford, Harry Carey, Tilly Losch, Butterfly McQueen and Otto Kruger - Shot by Lee Garmes (Scarface), Ray Rennahan (For Whom the Bell Tolls) and Harold Rosson (Wizard of Oz) - Score by Dimitri Tiomkin (Rio Bravo) - Screenplay by David O. Selznick (Since You Went Away) - Directed by King Vidor (The Fountainhead, Ruby Gentry)

View attachment 37513
With announcements like this, I have altogether reached a "Turning Point" of concension.;)
For this coup, alone, I wish I could hit the "Likes" button more than once.:thumbs-up-smiley:

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I can only support Lil Brutto new user concerns about the right material needed to recreate the shorter US (and european) cut. All his points are spots on. I hope you get back to him and make this release of GBU definitive!

Jordan Krug

Stunt Coordinator
This will be a Day One purchase, and I fully appreciate your generous breakdown of the work done. It would be altogether futile for anyone to complain about getting both versions. And all the more futile, when Kino has clearly addressed each and every inherited issue from past transfers.
BRAVO to you and all, MisterLime.:cheers:
Who is complaining about getting both versions? I didn't see any posts where someone complained about that. As long as it's an accurate theatrical cut, most people will be happy.

Jordan Krug

Stunt Coordinator
I can only support Lil Brutto new user concerns about the right material needed to recreate the shorter US (and european) cut. All his points are spots on. I hope you get back to him and make this release of GBU definitive!
Exactly! The fans have had enough of Leone's films being manipulated. Wrong cuts, modern gunshots, compressed audio, crushed blacks and teal and yellow color correction...a lot of these releases were done with the best intentions but they've yet to get it right. I'm thrilled Kino wants to release the international/American cut. Leone himself supervised the dubbing and cutting of the international/American version. Here's a chance to do it right!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Who is complaining about getting both versions? I didn't see any posts where someone complained about that. As long as it's an accurate theatrical cut, most people will be happy.
MisterLime had concluded a Post that aptly described how some people - no matter what - will find complaint in order to gain attentions; no matter the title or disc.
P.S. I took notice that you are "Auditioning", joined on Feb 2, 2006 and, after 13 years, chose me to be your first Message. Should I be flattered or do we need a tech guy on this?:D

Last edited:

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Good Day Misterlime:
My question is about the titles Skatetown USA (1979) and Thank God Its Friday (1978). Assuming for now that you don't have the rights to theseSony/Columbia titles, would you by chance have any concrete information on what is really holding up these worthy and fun (IMO) films?

Just wanting your viewpoint and tapping your expertise. Thanks in advance.

Skatetown, U.S.A. hasn't been released due to legal issues, most likely music clearance. Thank God It's Friday was released on DVD and on the long list of titles Sony needs to remaster in HD.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Looks like Kill Baby Kill! was removed from June lineup. I hope it's to add more extras (like Erika Blanc interview) and doesn't repeat the fate of Dark Sky Films DVD release...

The extra was added, it will most likely be released in August.

Last edited:

Jordan Krug

Stunt Coordinator
MisterLime had concluded a Post that aptly described how some people - no matter what - will find complaint in order to gain attentions; no matter the title or disc.
P.S. I took notice that you are "Auditioning", joined on Feb 2, 2006 and, after 13 years, chose me to be your first Message. Should I be flattered or do we need a tech guy on this?:D

The case of GBU is a special one...I can't think of another major classic that has had multiple releases go awry like GBU. That's why fans of the film are hoping that once and for all they'll get a release of the film as Leone intended. It's an amazing film and people are very passionate about it. Of course, the issue of the colour is subjective...but I don't see people complaining here to get attention, other than to get the attention of the company who wants to sell us the product. Isn't it better to point out potential pitfalls of the new release now than complain about them after the product hits shelves?

I'm only posting because I care about GBU...I've read HTF for years obviously but haven't felt the need to comment.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The case of GBU is a special one...I can't think of another major classic that has had multiple releases go awry like GBU. That's why fans of the film are hoping that once and for all they'll get a release of the film as Leone intended. It's an amazing film and people are very passionate about it. Of course, the issue of the colour is subjective...but I don't see people complaining here to get attention, other than to get the attention of the company who wants to sell us the product. Isn't it better to point out potential pitfalls of the new release now than complain about them after the product hits shelves?

I'm only posting because I care about GBU...I've read HTF for years obviously but haven't felt the need to comment.
Yes, indeed. Preemptive observations and criticisms towards preventing a company from marketing a faulty color palate, sound design, transfer or ratio beforehand is; as we all hope; an influential tool. MisterLime simply and diagnostically expressed in a Post how Kino apparently went above and beyond within their GBU efforts over what those other companies had offered before; but concluded that a few naysayers were still apt to pop up, regardless of Kino's advancements, success or breakthroughs. But, yes, better to tell a company now; before its too late. I also had GBU trepidations a few days ago, based upon a couple of Posts that I read; but I also believe that fair is fair. And MisterLime answered with great detail and satisfactorily so. Kino was aware and did not ignore. It is to be respected. Therefore, due must be given. On a final note, I also appreciate that MisterLime and Kino didn't ignore the other Posts concerning the Sound Design for "The Lion in Winter". That too is being looked at, as well. In the end, the reviews by Mr. Harris and Mr. Hough; along with those admirable HTF members whose eyes and ears have a voice of excellence and credibility, to which I've immensely benefitted from; will ultimately have that final say. But until then, Kino and MisterLime have certainly been listening and proactively so. I, for one, am very excited to see Kino's two-fold work on "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly", along with "The Lion in Winter".

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yes, indeed. Preemptive observations and criticisms towards preventing a company from marketing a faulty color palate, sound design, transfer or ratio beforehand is; as we all hope; an influential tool. MisterLime simply and diagnostically expressed in a Post how Kino apparently went above and beyond within their GBU efforts over what those other companies had offered before; but concluded that a few naysayers were still apt to pop up, regardless of Kino's advancements, success or breakthroughs. But, yes, better to tell a company now; before its too late. I also had GBU trepidations a few days ago, based upon a couple of Posts that I read; but I also believe that fair is fair. And MisterLime answered with great detail and satisfactorily so. Kino was aware and did not ignore. It is to be respected. Therefore, due must be given. On a final note, I also appreciate that MisterLime and Kino didn't ignore the other Posts concerning the Sound Design for "The Lion in Winter". That too is being looked at, as well. In the end, the reviews by Mr. Harris and Mr. Hough; along with those admirable HTF members whose eyes and ears have a voice of excellence and credibility, to which I've immensely benefitted from; will ultimately have that final say. But until then, Kino and MisterLime have certainly been listening and proactively so. I, for one, am very excited to see Kino's two-fold work on "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly", along with "The Lion in Winter".

As are we all!

Reactions: PMF

Jordan Krug

Stunt Coordinator

Thank you for your response. I completely understand that Kino has (unfairly) inherited a lot of baggage with this title! And again, I know all the previous releases were done with good intentions, and Kino also has good intentions. Unfortunately the baked in colour of the 4k master they've been provided can only be tweaked so much. I hope they weren't stuck in the rec709 realm and perhaps had some more latitude in a rec2020 file. I'm very impressed that they made the effort to try and address the colour based on feedback from their consumers. I'm surprised they weren't aware of the colour controversy in the first place as there were numerous posts on this very forum about the issue when the 2014 blu was released.

MisterLime has been very forthcoming so far, and I appreciate that, he's doing a good job for Kino. I hope that he will elaborate further on Kino's references for the theatrical cut (since every release since the advent of home video was changed/cut/used Italian prints etc. and they can't be used as reference). Hopefully they have elements besides the 4k extended master to work with in order to fill in the small gaps (missing or changed in the 4k master) to accurately recreate the 1967 U.S. theatrical cut. Lil Brutto has offered to share a 1967 U.A. continuity script for the film, which is a shot by shot, frame for frame reference they are welcome to borrow. Maybe they are already using vintage prints for reference and don't need it, or have their own copy of the continuity script. The point is, it's not the fans against Kino, I think the fans legitimately want to help Kino ensure the film gets a proper home video release once and for all. The thing that excites me most about this release is the inclusion of the complete skeleton footage (which was found not long after the first ever appearance of the scene from a vintage 1966 Italian print appeared on my own blog), and the theatrical cut. I just hope that after 25+ years of incorrect/approximated home video releases we'll finally get an accurate 1967 theatrical cut. It can be done...there are a lot of vintage prints still out there in the hands of people who only want what's best for the film.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
(Not to change the subject...)
IT seems most of the studios are now willing to farm out practically everything, save for the absolute top-sellers and latest blockbusters. There was a time not too long ago when MGM likely wouldn't have dreamed of turning over an "A-title" like THE GOOD, THE BAD & UGLY to a third-party label, major or micro. This seems to be extending to TV series now, as well - eg. Mill Creek's acquisition of several 80s Universal shows, including the super-popular "Miami Vice"..

...which naturally brings me to the question of what other classic TV series might be in the Blu-ray offing from Kino (or any other boutique label). Any chance we'll see, perhaps this year or next, the Blu-ray edition of "The Addams Family"? "The Outer Limits"? "Green Acres"?

Last edited:

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
(Not to change the subject...)
...which naturally brings me to the question of what other classic TV series might be in the Blu-ray offing from Kino (or any other boutique label). Any chance we'll see, perhaps this year or next, the Blu-ray edition of "The Addams Family"? "The Outer Limits"? "Green Acres"?

I'll go on record right now: If Kino releases a supplement-rich Outer Limits blu-ray set even approximating the glorious Twilight Zone blu-rays, I'll buy multiple copies. Like ten, maybe fifteen.

Or hell, I'll buy it even if it's barebones. TOL is positively screaming out for the HD treatment.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
MisterLime...

I can only support Lil Brutto...

Exactly! The fans...

The case of GBU is a special one...

Yes, indeed. Preemptive...

Thank you for your response...

I responded to this on page 245 of this thread and thought it calmed things down, but I guess only for 2 or 3 days. We would love to release the "perfect" version of the classic and fix every "issue" that ever existed with previous releases... we stand by our upcoming release of GBU, which will undoubtedly become the essential release of the masterpiece and again, most will be very happy, others may have some issues, but will understand and others...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks