What's new

*** Official ELEKTRA Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Garner isn't going to be doing any plugging for the movie, claiming she injured herself recently.
that plus the fact the film is being screened for critics the night before it opens seems to point to this being a real dog.
even Terry Stamp made the comment recently that he wished he could have ended his career with The Limey and didn't have to take any more bad commercial stuff.

thats a shame.
there was a good movie to be made with the character (just adapt Love & War fer pete sakes) but it looks like everyone knows they blew it with this one.

oh well,
i'll be there next friday

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Well I haven't seen Catwoman so I was sticking with the worst comic book film i've seen in recent times. :) Putting this as a January release was no mistake, its a bomb. For an action flick its very dry, absolutely nothing happens for a good 45mins and then when it does pick-up its still not interesting.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
So does Daredevil/Ben Affleck have a cameo in the movie? Not like I'm going to see it, but just curious.

I think they're running the comic book movie genre into the ground again. Simply too many flicks coming out essentially telling the same story only with a different costume.

They should make one all-inclusive mammoth 3 1/2 hour comic book movie that features most if not all of these fly-by-night superheros, also including the X-Men, Spider-Man and throw in Batman and Superman for good measure.. A cooperative production between Fox, WB and Paramount.

Hollywood ain't got the balls for it though. They would probably complain about the enormous budget, as if money were in short supply at the movie studios.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

No DD or Affleck cameo. Apart from one small scene to show how she comes back to life after the first one there is no connection to the DD film.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
well, i really enjoyed it.
haven't read any comics with the character since the Miller Sinkewicz mini series (and can't really remember it, other than i enjoyed it) so i don't know how much they are deviating from the character...but to me this was quite a bit better than daredevil.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Electra" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Electra" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Saw this today. Already put my review in the review thread. It did have some promise; Elektra transferring personal feelings toward Abby and the comparisons in her own personal life. Good baseline...but just not developed enough.

All the cool and other-world stunts and action sequences don't matter as much if the story and characters aren't good.

I love Garner. She is awesome in Alias, and was extremely joyful & charming in 13 Going on 30. I liked her in DDevil too. But like any actor, you gotta have other things falling in to place to make it work.

Just doesn't work here.

However, the $4 price I paid was more than worth it seeing her in the red costume. Man, she looked soooooooo good. :b

Ed B

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoyed the movie even though they gave her some abilities she didnt have in the comic book. But it was still a good movie.

Its kind of funny that when action movies are all action and no story people complain. On the other hand when an action movies tries to develop a story and has less action it still gets complaints.

It was far from being the worse comic book movie. I didnt see Catwomen but Punisher was pure crap nobody talks about that. All the Batman movies other than the first one were crap as well as Superman movies other than the first.

The comic book genre is full of great storylines your not going to see it go away any time soon. Constatine, Fantastic Four, Sin City are the next comic book movies coming to the screen.

Ed

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
well, there definitely won't be any Elektra sequels in the future if the weekend estimates are correct. Less that 13 million is pathetic. I think Marvel really needs to do a better job in handling 2nd and 3rd Tier superheroes on the big screen.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Worst comic book movie I've seen since Hulk. (Didn't bother seeing Catwoman)Cannot believe how not fun this film was. Except for one shot when she was down on all fours I got a lot more enjoyment out of her outfit in DD. And since looking at Garner was all there was to do in this movie, it's a big point for this film. The red outfit just wasn't hot enough, and actually made it look like her belly stuck out thanks to the design. Minimized her chest instead of accentuating it like all her outfits did in DD. I preferred her swimming in the bikini. But, as I said in the Review thread she'd have had to be naked through the whole movie to save this excuse for a film. I'd heard it was more of a martial-arts film than a comic-book film. It was neither. It wasn't even Mortal Kombat, if that's what they were going for.

The DD Director's Cut improved that movie, but seeing Elektra makes Daredevil look worthy of multiple Oscars. Of course I already liked DD a great deal before the Dir. Cut. IMO anyone who thinks Elektra is in any way superior to DD is on heavy, heavy doses of crack. Seriously. Now, I have to stand by the water.

Did anyone READ the script before they signed on? Did the Digimon creators pen the action sequences? Should I stand by the water some more before I complete my post?

And for the comic fans, Stick trained DD in the comics didn't he? I know they did away with him for the DD movie. Did he ever have anything to do with Elektra's training as he does in the movie? If not, seems like a lame "they didn't use it, so we will" thing Such a coincidence she'd leave one blind man and be trained by another.

I had no idea what to expect, quality-wise, from this film. Certainly didn't go in with really high expectations. If I'd enjoyed it 2/3 as much as DD, I'd have been more than happy.

John Doran

Screenwriter
in the comics, stick trained elektra for a year after her father died, and then expelled her from his tutelage because she was unable to leave her destructive emotions behind and achieve peace of mind.

Shaun

Second Unit
In the comics, Elektra, for a time, was actually a member of "The Hand", which is the ninja organization she battles in the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks