What's new

General Discussion Movie Themes and/or Soundtracks you dislike (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Here is a thread where negativity will be widely accepted

There are threads about movie soundtracks that you love. Now, I'd like to know about themes and/or soundtracks you dislike.

I just had this conversation in another thread earlier this morning and thought it might make for a more expansive discussion.

So, this is the one that came to mind for me...

GUNFIGHT AT THE O.K. CORRAL

I love this movie, but the theme song by Frankie Lane sounds like it was phoned in. Repetitive, dull, monotonous.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mary Poppins

Born Free

During my 1960s childhood when those movies came out, those theme songs were unbearable to me. The Sound of Music wasn’t far off either.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I also have to add that David Arnold's James Bond scores are pathetic. There is normally one song on each soundtrack for the films that are worth listening to.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Thinking of the Bond franchise, this comes to mind...

Sam Smith's Writing on the Wall as the intro to Spectre; not because it is a bad song but because Spectre by Radiohead is so much better and should have been used.

- Walter.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
First thing that pops in my head is Dave Grusin's score to The Firm I remember being so distracted by it thinking it didn’t fit the film at all.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Here is a thread where negativity will be widely accepted

There are threads about movie soundtracks that you love. Now, I'd like to know about themes and/or soundtracks you dislike.

I just had this conversation in another thread earlier this morning and thought it might make for a more expansive discussion.

So, this is the one that came to mind for me...

GUNFIGHT AT THE O.K. CORRAL

I love this movie, but the theme song by Frankie Lane sounds like it was phoned in. Repetitive, dull, monotonous.

I like the song because I find it dated and feel that adds a 1950's feel to the movie. I don't feel that Laine phoned it in, but maybe the lyric writers did. If anything I find Laine's vocals almost too intense (he sang everything with intensity). A good example is this rather banal lyric which Frankie sings as if it is the most important part of the song:

"Wyatt roamed the west, and though he fought the best,
by nature he preferred it nice and peaceful,
sort of slow, and sort of easy-go, but he was quick on the draw
and Wyatt's word was law, was law, was laaaaaw!"

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I like the song because I find it dated and feel that adds a 1950's feel to the movie. I don't feel that Laine phoned it in, but maybe the lyric writers did. If anything I find Laine's vocals almost too intense (he sang everything with intensity). A good example is this rather banal lyric which Frankie sings as if it is the most important part of the song:

"Wyatt roamed the west, and though he fought the best,
by nature he preferred it nice and peaceful,
sort of slow, and sort of easy-go, but he was quick on the draw
and Wyatt's word was law, was law, was laaaaaw!"

David,

Good point and I was wrong on this one. Laine didn't write the song. He just had to sing it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The movie that comes to mind first for me is High Noon.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I also have to add that David Arnold's James Bond scores are pathetic. There is normally one song on each soundtrack for the films that are worth listening to.

Thinking of the Bond franchise, this comes to mind...

Sam Smith's Writing on the Wall as the intro to Spectre; not because it is a bad song but because Spectre by Radiohead is so much better and should have been used.

- Walter.

Most of the recent Bond theme songs have been pretty awful, IMO. I'm not sure who picks the artists or the songs, or why they think most of these are good. From the 1990's forward, the only ones I've thought were listenable were Tina Turner's "GoldenEye" and Adele's "Skyfall".

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The Joan Baez-sung songs from the opening and closing of “Silent Running” - you’ve got this beautiful state-of-the-art (for its time) special effects and space ship montage opening the film, and a dramatic ending with a strong visual, which should be immersing the audience far into the future, but the songs just scream “it’s 1970 in here!!!” and for me it just shatters any sense of leaving the here and now.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Joan Baez-sung songs from the opening and closing of “Silent Running” - you’ve got this beautiful state-of-the-art (for its time) special effects and space ship montage opening the film, and a dramatic ending with a strong visual, which should be immersing the audience far into the future, but the songs just scream “it’s 1970 in here!!!” and for me it just shatters any sense of leaving the here and now.
I always took that as an interesting paradox. Yes, it's science fiction set in the future, but that ship is the last vestige of nature. I took the Baez song as representing something that was being lost.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I always took that as an interesting paradox. Yes, it's science fiction set in the future, but that ship is the last vestige of nature. I took the Baez song as representing something that was being lost.

If only the song, for me, evoked nature - but all I get is overproduced 70s drivel from it. I concede it may have worked just fine in its original time period but that dates the movie for me more than anything else on the screen. It feels like one of those “let’s throw a pop song on the soundtrack so we can sell some extra LPs” tracks that were all the rage at the time.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If only the song, for me, evoked nature - but all I get is overproduced 70s drivel from it. I concede it may have worked just fine in its original time period but that dates the movie for me more than anything else on the screen. It feels like one of those “let’s throw a pop song on the soundtrack so we can sell some extra LPs” tracks that were all the rage at the time.
I'm probably trying too hard to find a reason for it. I do remember the first time I saw it after seeing it on TV in the '70s, and being struck by what an odd choice it was.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The alternate Phillip Glass score for Dracula (1931) is so distracting I've never been able to watch more than a few minutes of the movie before switching back to the normal soundtrack.

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
* Composer Pino Donaggio - 1976's "Carrie" with its often compelling, universal moments in the film... Most often he got it right and enhanced the film.... but then sometimes Donaggio's overly-playful moments competed with some intense moments. Less was more.
brian de palma carrie GIF by hoppip

* Composer Pino Donaggio - 1979's "Tourist Trap" yes, not the best film, and not aged well... but I would argue had some nightmarish moments at the time. Donaggio's carefully fucked up nursery-rhyme, jack-in-the-box like music made the ridiculous parts 1000x worse; like "Carrie" his music would sometimes compete with the film. <-- this is the main film I would highlight for this thread.
Knock Knock Hello GIF by Arrow Video
Get Out Hello GIF by Arrow Video

...that said, generally going forward, Pino Donaggio's soundtracks
blossomed beautifully... 1980's "Dressed to Kill," 1981's "Blow Out" (John Travolta), 1984's "Body Double" are terrific scores. They did not compete with the film, but had their own character and enhanced the film. Much more finesse. ♫♪
1703180686401.png

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
"Stop! I Don’t Wanna Hear It Any More" sung by Melanie from the film, R.P.M. (1970) - Songs/Score courtesy of Barry DeVorzon & Perry Botkin, Jr. It's a stinker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks