What's new

*** Official A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Bit late to the discussion, and it looks like my point of view is shared with several already in this thread. But a few words about the son and school bully confrontation.

This is one of the parts which I like the most. In their little fishbowl, being on the top of the pyramid of high school sports is probably the pinnacle of the bully's life. He's on a path to be nothing more than the nameless broke sociopaths that he nearly runs into on the street. He only needs a minor justification to pick on the weak fish, which Jack certainly fits the bill.

Raised by Tom Stall to use his brain and avoid confrontation, Jack defuses the situation tactfully at the loss of his dignity and doing little more than delay or stall future confrontations. Later, the bully would have picked a fight on the street if not for intervention from elsewhere and stops him in the hall just to make fun of his father.

Now, in contrast, his 'new' father has done something amazing. He's not only dealt with a confrontation violently (and successfully), but he's lauded for it. Nobody stops to give a thought that a man they think as relatively normal has killed his first human being, they pat him on the back and applaud and interview him. Later, when faced with a future threat on his family, Jack hears that his dad runs to the rescue, shotgun on the table. He asks him, 'what if you were right'. That just nails the entire discussion on how Jack perceives violence. If they had been there, holding his mother hostage, he imagines his 'new' dad leaping to action and gunning them down, saving the day. That's the turning point for Jack.

It's what allows him to screw up his courage in the school hallway. The bully nails it as well, asking if he's anything like his dad. Jack used to be like his 'old' father, but taking a cue from his 'new' dad, he doesn't just stand up he throws the first punch (and shots to the groin and kicks on the ground).

How is this received? Tom, still not having re-embraced Joey's nature, beats his son. From his former perspective, he's very disappointed in his son and doesn't realize that he's the role model for this new behavior.

Now, when the family is really in jeopardy (Jack is in custody, men with guns are on the lawn) Tom evaporates entirely. No more pretense about not knowing anyone, and he's no longer even interested in negotiation. In the diner, Tom is fully in control and tries to talk down the situation, appealing to the nature of the robbers by offering them money. It's only when someone is about to die that Joey's talents spring into action almost like latent physical memory. On the lawn, Joey has no intention of ever getting in the car. He gets his son out of the line of fire and is bound and determined to finish this in blood. As he's not completely effective, and Fogerty stands over him at the finish, his son (following his father's unspoken directive) fires and kills the threat. Tom's son would never have done this, but Joey's son certain would. And how is this received? Tom is gone and Joey is all that remains, so he approaches and embraces his son.

I've conveyed this other places, but the sex scenes carry this same kind of disparity. Tom has sex in a PG-13 way, full of innocent naughtiness and a bit of wonder and love. Joey has sex in a very direct way, harsh and unceremonious. His wife responds in kind, and is very content after having sex with Tom. But sex with Joey is something she doesn't enjoy and is disgusted with him and herself afterwards (he sleeps on the couch afterwards). I think Cronenberg's choice to not have nudity during the sex scenes and to have them last just long enough that everyone in the audience gets uncomfortable is really telling. The scenes are a statement, and not just there for titillation. They weren't non-nude to avoid ratings problems either. Heck, you get a full frontal shot a minute later in a familiar and accidental way as any married couple would and Bello quickly closes the door. I suspect she isn't comfortable being naked around Joey.

I think it's pretty silly to suggest that those who don't 'get' the film don't like art films. Some films resonate with people and some films don't. Ebert (and I) might like films like Domino while others would rather have their eyelids torn out rather than see it again. There are no prerequisites to liking a film like A History of Violence, and Cronenberg of all directors offers such a wide variety of film that you aren't even clearly going to like it if you've liked his other films. As a narrative, the film is not particularly deep and approaching it in just that way won't net you much other than some visceral thrills in the artful action sequences (which are necessarily brief and less than glamorous).

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thanks, Alex. That's probably once of the best put together explinations for that group of scenes that I've seen so far.

Thanks. That's about where I'm at right now. I think what hurts the film most for me is the third act when Joey goes off to confront his brother. Up to that point, it has been how the people around Tom/Joey react to his actions and relevations and there are some interesting things there, but instead of bringing all of that more into focus and exploring it further, we get into a predictable confrontation, that while "fun", didn't seem to have much to do exploring the themes presented in the films. As I said, it felt like a different film at that point.

Jason

sheldon M.

Stunt Coordinator
Saw it last night. Great movie. Cronenberg's a genius. I knew it was gonna be ugly when they were standing outside the house you could just feel the air of menace around Tom/Joey. What a great performance by Viggo Mortensen. The serial killers were scary as hell. Ed Harris was great. All kinds of meanings here but for now I just want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
I assumed that because the 'son beating the bully scene' is the last scene involving the bully, that we were to assume that the son's use of violence was a successful means of solving that particular problem.

Good points, Alex. Jason, I think this might be one of those movies that if you saw it again 6 months from now, you'd enjoy it a lot more. Or maybe not, what do I know.

Great discussion. I wish we could talk about the political under/overtones.

Regards,
Nathan

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
The son gets suspended from school and may possibly be sued by the bully's parents. There are negative repurcussions to his violent actions as opposed to no negative ones when he used humor to deflate the confrontation. And it is an unknown as to whether the bully will come back violently once he's out of the hospital, but having seen his previous behavior, it's likely.

I don't see how anyone can say there's nothing in this movie to chew on (and it's gristle, not grizzle). Not liking it or saying it's not to your taste is pefectly acceptable, but to say it has nothing to say is just wrong -- this movie says a lot, and says it brilliantly and economically.

I find it curious that a lot of those who say they didn't like it always bring up the sex scenes. "I'm not a prude, but..." and then explain why the scenes made them uncomfortable. It highlights how screwed up our society is when it comes to how we view sex and violence, which is exactly the point of this movie!

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I agree with David. It probably isn't. Particularly since all Tom's/Joey's actions do is excalate things. (Until the end, presumably. Course, if Tom wasn't careful, the next excalation could be the Police.)

I mean, what was the point? Was the use of violence good? bad? indifferent? Don't know if Cronenberg was trying to say something specific about violence. There just isn't enough there to nail him down.

Maybe the point was just to ask questions, but it didn't really make me think all that much. Maybe I just don't relate because I'm not a former mobster trying to run away from my past. :D

Jason

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I find it curious that a lot of those who say they didn't like it always bring up the sex scenes."

Not for me, I felt the movie should have been more violent, darker and more disturbing.

Its hard to explain - I just felt like there was alot there that was untapped.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

I agree as well. I didn't think the violence in the film was that bad (even the "nose-pushed-into-the-brain" scene). The only disturbing scene was the aftermath shot of the thug getting shot in the face in the diner.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
"Bit late to the discussion, and it looks like my point of view is shared with several already in this thread. But a few words about the son and school bully confrontation.

This is one of the parts which I like the most. In their little fishbowl, being on the top of the pyramid of high school sports is probably the pinnacle of the bully's life. He's on a path to be nothing more than the nameless broke sociopaths that he nearly runs into on the street. He only needs a minor justification to pick on the weak fish, which Jack certainly fits the bill.

Raised by Tom Stall to use his brain and avoid confrontation, Jack defuses the situation tactfully at the loss of his dignity and doing little more than delay or stall future confrontations. Later, the bully would have picked a fight on the street if not for intervention from elsewhere and stops him in the hall just to make fun of his father.

Now, in contrast, his 'new' father has done something amazing. He's not only dealt with a confrontation violently (and successfully), but he's lauded for it. Nobody stops to give a thought that a man they think as relatively normal has killed his first human being, they pat him on the back and applaud and interview him. Later, when faced with a future threat on his family, Jack hears that his dad runs to the rescue, shotgun on the table. He asks him, 'what if you were right'. That just nails the entire discussion on how Jack perceives violence. If they had been there, holding his mother hostage, he imagines his 'new' dad leaping to action and gunning them down, saving the day. That's the turning point for Jack.

It's what allows him to screw up his courage in the school hallway. The bully nails it as well, asking if he's anything like his dad. Jack used to be like his 'old' father, but taking a cue from his 'new' dad, he doesn't just stand up he throws the first punch (and shots to the groin and kicks on the ground).

How is this received? Tom, still not having re-embraced Joey's nature, beats his son. From his former perspective, he's very disappointed in his son and doesn't realize that he's the role model for this new behavior.

Now, when the family is really in jeopardy (Jack is in custody, men with guns are on the lawn) Tom evaporates entirely. No more pretense about not knowing anyone, and he's no longer even interested in negotiation. In the diner, Tom is fully in control and tries to talk down the situation, appealing to the nature of the robbers by offering them money. It's only when someone is about to die that Joey's talents spring into action almost like latent physical memory. On the lawn, Joey has no intention of ever getting in the car. He gets his son out of the line of fire and is bound and determined to finish this in blood. As he's not completely effective, and Fogerty stands over him at the finish, his son (following his father's unspoken directive) fires and kills the threat. Tom's son would never have done this, but Joey's son certain would. And how is this received? Tom is gone and Joey is all that remains, so he approaches and embraces his son.

I've conveyed this other places, but the sex scenes carry this same kind of disparity. Tom has sex in a PG-13 way, full of innocent naughtiness and a bit of wonder and love. Joey has sex in a very direct way, harsh and unceremonious. His wife responds in kind, and is very content after having sex with Tom. But sex with Joey is something she doesn't enjoy and is disgusted with him and herself afterwards (he sleeps on the couch afterwards). I think Cronenberg's choice to not have nudity during the sex scenes and to have them last just long enough that everyone in the audience gets uncomfortable is really telling. The scenes are a statement, and not just there for titillation. They weren't non-nude to avoid ratings problems either. Heck, you get a full frontal shot a minute later in a familiar and accidental way as any married couple would and Bello quickly closes the door. I suspect she isn't comfortable being naked around Joey.

I think it's pretty silly to suggest that those who don't 'get' the film don't like art films. Some films resonate with people and some films don't. Ebert (and I) might like films like Domino while others would rather have their eyelids torn out rather than see it again. There are no prerequisites to liking a film like A History of Violence, and Cronenberg of all directors offers such a wide variety of film that you aren't even clearly going to like it if you've liked his other films. As a narrative, the film is not particularly deep and approaching it in just that way won't net you much other than some visceral thrills in the artful action sequences (which are necessarily brief and less than glamorous)."

Your insight is very keen. Awesome post.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I can't agree with this. Regardless how she may have felt after the act, she certainly seemed to be having a heck of a lot of fun during.

--
H

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

To a certain extent, probably, but if you are going to leave moral questions open, ask more interesting questions. To be honest, the questions asked in the film are pretty much answered by your personal beliefs on such matters. It doesn't do all that much to challenge those beliefs.

In some ways, tho, Cronenberg seems to be leaning toward pro-violence in this film. While we see the consequences with the son's passive stance, we really don't see many with his violent response. While Joey's violent actions seem to just escalate things, it seems that it comes to an end when he eliminates his brother. While the ending is somewhat ambiguous, most people are reading into it that his family will accept him back. So, you could say that there is a moral answer there, just not a strong one.

Jason

CharlieD

Grip
I can't remember when I have been more surprised at the critical reaction to a film.

I have to say, many critics that I usually agree with lauded this movie as something exceptional. I agree that it is exceptional, but for quite different reasons.

From the opening scene I found this movie amateurish and without subtlety or craftsmanship. Choices both in the writing and direction seemed inconsistent with the theme and purpose. I feel odd even talking about such details of theme, plot, and character in what, in my opinion, felt more like a late night Cinemax movie than well-crafted film.

In the opening scene alone, I was taken aback by the choices made about dialog and action. Why have your characters drive 20 feet to the office when it would make far more sense to walk? Why does this feel so staged? I understand that you need to establish what these two characters are up to ("should we continue on, staying out of big cities?), but surely there is a better way than to have them converse about something they would have certainly established prior to setting out on another morning of driving. It sounded like dialog from a first time screenwriter— a writer without imagination or skill.

And why set the pace of this scene so painfully slowly? Personally, I enjoy slower pacing when it allows me to appreciate the details, subtext and emotions involved, but this scene and this movie lacked anything of substance to consider. And even when such subtext was ham-fistedly inserted, the questions posed were so pedestrian, so boring, that all the slow pace did was allow me more time to wonder, "Is that all? Really?"

The dynamic between the son and the bully character was another part of the story that was handled so poorly that it undermined the very point (or lack thereof) it was trying to make. The first scene of this subplot, the one on the baseball field, was comically bad. Am I to believe that the bully character is so arrogant or ignorant, that he would do a Sammy Sosa bat flip after hitting a fly ball directly to an outfielder? It was a joke. The son didn't even have to move to catch it. Is this the best this school has to offer in athletics? A skinny punk with a square jaw who can't hit more than a pop-fly in gym class? And every scene between these two following it felt like it had been pulled from an 80's After School Special. There was no insight into these characters, and only the most superficial and tired motivations.

What makes these issues all more distracting is that during the first two acts I found the relationship between the mother and father to be impressively candid and real. But even that was compromised by the strangely melodramatic sex scene on the stairs. This was a jarringly theatrical moment in an otherwise realistic relationship. For me, it destroyed any chance to honestly consider the effect of deception and violence on a previously happy marriage. It became an all too familiar movie cliché that led nowhere.

I recognize Mr. Cronenberg's attempts to explore the nature of violence and how it is glorified in certain circumstances and vilified in others. But when you do such a poor job in executing the world where this exploration takes place, the results of it are empty.

I can't remember the last time I was in a movie theater and heard so many groans and snickers. And I am not talking about the sex scenes. I am talking about the moment they start kissing on the stairs, the moment the father hits the son because he fought at school, at particularly bad dialog ("who were those guys?" "I don't want to find out"), the ending. And this wasn't some dumb crowd looking for a popcorn flick on a Saturday night. This was week night in Los Angeles— where crowds are so ridiculously movie-friendly that they applaud trailers and sit through the entire credits. It makes me wonder who is it that really enjoyed this film, and why?

I understand how people like movies like Armageddon and Legally Blonde. I don't agree with them, but I understand that they go in looking for something and they get it. I even understand how the same concept applies to movies like Magnolia and Eyes Wide Shut. I get how those movies can polarize audiences based on expectations and tastes. But this movie, I can't figure out who (the mindless entertainment seeker, the avant-garde film lover, or anyone in between) this movie would appeal to. It seemed to me to be too mistake and cliché filled to appeal to a film lover, and far too slow and morally ambiguous to appeal to a popcorn junkie.

I am very curious to hear from some people who liked this film in regards to what I have mentioned. Did I miss something? After seeing the movie I can't help but think that the positive reviews have more to do with Cronenberg's prior work and legacy, than with this movie.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Basically, after having looked through this thread, I think this film proves once again a significant chunk of audiences are incapable of enjoying, or perhaps accepting, "quiet" performances. Usually you notice this with specific actors people rail about (a quick example of this, which I don't agree with, would be Keanu Reaves).

The movie focuses on characterization. It is not a tightly plotted story that revolves around "reveals" like a Dan Brown novel or a Shyamalan film. Viggo Mortensen is a very talented actor who conveys quite a bit with only facial expressions and body langague, and this story uses that talent heavily. The Joey / Tom conflict is very interesting to follow, and depends entirely on Mortensen walking us through the internal conflict between what he was and what he has become, and how he can stay with the latter vs being dragged into the former once more.

The other thing I was disappointed to see mentioned, repeatedly, in this thread were the complaints about the high school bully. I think a lot of folks might have forgotten how shallow and cruel children are. The ball game was exactly the kind of thing a school bully chooses to make into an issue. He missed his chance to be the big guy on the field, and decides to take back his "respect" (as he sees it) from the kid who took it. It was a very real scene, one that plays out all across the country on a daily basis. That people are pointing to the bully and his actions as unbelievable is ... well ... rather unbelievable to me.

Also, the son vs the bully, as has been noted in this thread, helps illustrate some of the message of the movie. Sometimes violence is what solves a problem so that it stays solved; whether the violence is a beating or even a death. As Ender said, "I didn't want to win that fight. I wanted to win all the others too." The son was winning the other fights when he accepted the bully's insistent challenge in the hall.

Joey did the same thing when he went to Philly. He was solving the other problems too. When the film resolves, Tom's left with his family, which is all he wanted from the first time Joey was forcibly resurfaced. That the film closes with them tentatively coming together again was an excellent ending I thought. It would have been cheesy to close with a scene that says something like "a year later ... " and showing them at a town picnic laughing like nothing had happened.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
People didn't like the sex scenes? Hmmm. People are strange.

I'm not sure how much darker the film could get before it really strained our belief in these characters. After all, the family has only just learned about the carefully hidden, sordid history of dear old dad, still grappling with living under the same roof with a guy who not so long ago killed for money and fun. At the least, quite a departure from the mild-mannered man they thought they knew. Then, after gruesomely dispatching a gaggle of gangsters on the front lawn, daddy heads back home to Philly to kill off a few more. All this in an effort to maintain appearances and the life to which not merely he has grown accustomed. Though the family's conscience is somewhat stricken, or at least the wife's - witness the second sex scene that inches toward rape-but-not-quite as we perceive in her equal measures of attraction and repulsion for her killer husband - when he returns from his foul deeds, he is welcomed to his place at the table. It is no less than crystal clear that murder is, in the end, an acceptable means for maintaining the family unit.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Well, they don't really know what he did in Philly :D.

I saw the movie again over the weekend, and went from liking it to REALLY liking it...

(still don't see the big deal in Hurt's 5 minutes of screen time, but what the hey, I will stop bitching about that now)

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks