What's new

*** Official A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I presume that's a link to a trailer? (It's blocked at work.) I saw the trailer with "War of the Worlds" and it looked really great. Was one of my most-anticipated films anyway, because of Viggo.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
This looks interesting. Based on the trailer, I wouldn't have thought it to be a typical Cronenberg pic. Well, now that I think about it, the scarring on Ed Harris' face does have elements of Cronenberg's obsession with "flesh"....

8^B

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ive seen the graphic novel in books stores recently too for anyone whos interested.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
David Cronenberg did a panel at the san diego comic-con about the movie a history of violences. They showed the trailer and clips and also talked about the movie.
I was there for that panel.

JACOB

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Saw the trailer today and this one looks like a remake of The Long Kiss Goodnight.
Not that that's a bad thing, I loved that film and rescreen it more than once a year.
When I saw David Cronenberg's name I realized there was probably going to be something more to this than I had guessed.
Can't wait to see it!

MatS

Screenwriter
I really liked what I saw from the trailer and wanted to see this but I was also wondering at the same time if it didn't give away too much of the plot.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Agreed! Execution includes the casting, for which Cronenberg has always had an interesting eye. (He was the first to realize how creepy Jeremy Irons could be, which is why Irons thanked Cronenberg when he won the Oscar for Reversal of Fortune.) This is an excellent cast that's interesting to watch even when Cronenberg just seems to be letting the camera rest on a face or faces.

Unlike others, I found the so-called "third act" quite satisfying. It's the real meat of the film, whereas the part that's laid out in the trailer (the section in which Ed Harris features prominently) is more of a warm-up. And yes, the ending is unresolved. There are no easy answers to the questions the characters now have to face.

I was especially impressed with the confrontations at school. I'm sure most of us remember similar scenes from high school, whether as witnesses or participants, and these felt like the real thing.

M.

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator

Speaking of "The Brood", I think that that is the film that established Cronie as the Godfather of the Sci-Fi/Horror mutt genre. Still as effective and visceral as it was in 1979.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Going back to something mentioned earlier in the thread:

I also can't believe some people are calling the stairwell scene an act of rape. Did these people even pay attention to what was going on? Sure, Bello was upset after the sex, but its because she was disgusted with herself for such an act, not because she was raped. Some people are just blind. Of course, in an interview for Fangoria magazine, Cronenberg said he figured some people would look at that scene as a rape. He was right on the money, and it doesn't surprise me. Cronenberg knows his shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks