What's new

***Official 21st Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2020*** (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I had planned to watch the movies in the Al Adamson set in the order they came out but once I saw the set went with a theme and there was 30-some of them, I decided it was too much work to look up the release order on that many movies. :) I have to say that I enjoyed seeing the biker movies together and the horror movies together and the nurses movies together, etc. though.

They did a great job putting complementing films on each disc. I'm using the book that came with it as a guide on the chronology though it's not perfect either since films sat around and got recut/released later. A real mess lol. Doing my best with it. I used to binge these sets and film series but I've started mixing them up and found I get more out of them which is why I probably wont finish the Godzilla/Gamera, Conjuring Universe, Ouija franchise, Amityville etc this challenge.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Rating - Out of a possible 4
skull.gif

059) 10/12/2020 Herencia Macabre (1939)
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2

Newly married surgeon becomes very busy when he finds he can cure disfigured persons. His new bride decides she's lonely and starts an affair with an associate of her husband's. When hubby finds out, he plots revenge. Rather lurid Mexican shocker with a doozy of an ending, at least for 1939.

060) 10/12/2020 Black Friday (1940)
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2

Karloff/Lugosi vehicle where the two starts don't meet. Still, this is an entertaining enough mad scientist yarn about Karloff putting the brain of assassinated mob boss into the body of his friend who died during the murder attempt. When doc learns of a fortune hidden by the gangster, he starts making plans for the money. Stanley Ridges as the gentle professor/gangster is terrific.

061) 10/13/2020 The Ghost Breakers (1940)
skull.gif
skull.gif
skull.gif

Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard reunite for an even better horror comedy than The Cat and the Canary. Radio commentator Hope decides to help Goddard who's getting threats over the Cuban island she's just inherited. There are actually spooks and zombies about this time out, as well as a mystery killer. Willie Best is great as usual as Hope's reluctant employee.

062) 10/13/2020 Before I Hang (1940)
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2

One of several mad scientist pictures Karloff made at Columbia during the 1940's. This is a pretty good one thanks to an earnest perf by the king. He plays convicted mercy killer who's seeking the antidote to aging. But when he makes his serum with the blood of an executed killer, things get out of hand. A fast-paced if unspectacular hour.

whacky blacky

Second Unit
Real Name
shawn blackman
October 13

35. Dark, Deadly And Dreadful (2018). FTV. Streamed. 2.5/5. A bunch of short films are slapped together to give us 90 minutes of mayhem. Some are good and some aren't. You know how it goes with these anthologies.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
883929571499f.jpg

Title: IT

Year:
Director: Andy Muschietti
Writer: Stephen King (1947) (Original Material By), Chase Palmer (Screenwriter), Cary Fukunaga (Screenwriter), Gary Dauberman (Screenwriter)
Rating: Rated R : Violence/Horror, Bloody Images, and for Language
Length: 135 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Atmos: 3D, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Jaeden Lieberher as Bill Denbrough
Jeremy Ray Taylor as Ben Hanscom
Sophia Lillis as Beverly Marsh
Finn Wolfhard as Richie Tozier
Chosen Jacobs as Mike Hanlon
Jack Dylan Grazer as Eddie Kaspbrak

Plot:
Stephen King's horror masterpiece comes to life for a new generation. In Derry, Maine, seven young friends unite against a terrifying supernatural creature that has been haunting their small town for centuries. Calling itself Pennywise the Dancing Clown, IT is a monster of unspeakable power that takes the form of everyone's most horrific fears. Threatened by their worst nightmares, the only way these kids can survive IT is together.

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Interviews
Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
I decided to rewatch these films today. Don't get me wrong I really love the original miniseries.... but this is a great adaptation! I love the story... and I thought the cast was excellent... especially the kids.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
:emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U- 4k UHD
B - Blu Ray Viewing
D - DVD Viewing
S - Streaming

Bold/Red = Denotes first ever viewing

Rating - Out of a possible 5 :emoji_skull_crossbones:

Night of the Demon - D - : :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Nightmare Cinema - D -:emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Invisible Man - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
Lighthouse - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Vampires vs The Bronx - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
The Lost Boys - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
The Amityville Horror - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:

Fantasy Island - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Jeepers Creepers 2 - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
Don't Knock Twice - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
The Dead Don't Die - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Mostly Ghostly: Have You Met My Ghoulfriend - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Damned By Dawn - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Christine - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Good Boy - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Resicent Evil: Damnation - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Hocus Pocus - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
It - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:

Total Watched: 18

whacky blacky

Second Unit
Real Name
shawn blackman
36. Dark October (2020). FTV. Streamed. 1.5/5. Really bad low budget where some friends go to a concert and of course break down near an old schoolhouse.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Twice-Told Tales (1963) ***

Vincent Price stars in three short stories from Nathaniel Hawthorne. For a horror movie there's really not too much "horror" here and I have to imagine that some people were very disappointed when this movie was first released but I've always enjoyed this one. I especially enjoy the first story dealing with the water-like product that restores youth. The performances here and especially the twists are excellent. Price is very good in all three stories and the film is well-made and looks great.

Gamera (1965) **

Gamera arrives and I must admit that I'm shocked there were sequels to this film because it's rather bland. In fact, the entire film looks very poor as it's clear there wasn't much money available. The humans sucks. The special effects really suck. The film isn't awful but at the same time this can't hold a candle to very many of the Godzilla pictures.

Gamera vs. Barugon (1966) * 1/2

After the events of the previous film, Barugon arrives and starts damaging things so the Japanese people must hope that Gamera comes to the rescue. 100-minutes for this thing? 100? Why? The majority of the running time is men running around in a jungle ala KING KONG, which would have been interesting had ANYTHING happened. This was a really boring picture with some really bad special effects. Even the fights at the end are rather lifeless. Once again, when the end credits started, I asked myself how this film got a sequel.

Gamera vs. Gyaos (1967) **

This here is the best of the first three Gamera films but that's really not saying much. I liked this one the most because the Gyaos character is like a bat Rodan. He likes to drink blood and his laser likes to rip planes in half, which is a rather hilarious site. The effects are poor, the humans are awful but it's still fun and at least has a little energy to it.

Ten Little Indians (1989) *

How can Cannon and Harry Allan Towers deliver such an awful version of the Agatha Christie story? The African setting is good and we've got a nice cast including Donald Pleasence, Herbert Lom, Frank Stallone and Paul L. Smith but none of them are given anything to do and these characters are among the most bland I've seen in any film. This here is considered by many to be the worst adaptation of the story and I have to agree. At least I hope there's not a worse one.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
October 13: Pitch Black (2000) – 4 out of 5

A passenger transport ship, with a dangerous fugitive and his captor along for the ride, experiences a catastrophic accident in deep space. Their craft crashes on a desolate planet and the survivors must figure out how to get off the planet and deal with the deadly captive, Riddick. Riddick is a special kind of fugitive. Smart, strong, with special eyes capable of seeing uniquely in the dark, and he is deadly. But, as Riddick points out, he isn’t what the other survivors need to worry about. Creatures who survive in the dark are the real threat, and with a long period of planetary darkness dawning, things are about to get really bad.

The introduction of Vin Diesel’s Riddick character in Pitch Black is so good. This clever little horror film gives us a memorable anti-hero, inventive creatures, and a superb use of setting, limited budget, and imagery. There’s plenty of scares and chills woven amongst the more action-oriented moments, and the collection of characters surrounding Diesel’s Riddick are a mix of throwaway and intriguing, but the draw here is Riddick himself outsmarting everyone and everything in his pursuit of survival. Arrow Video recently released a 4K/UHD version of this film and it looks spectacular (even if it does reveal all the limitations in the visual effects from 20 years ago).

Vin Diesel would reprise his Riddick character in two other feature films - The Chronicles of Riddick (2004) and Riddick (2013), both entertaining, but nothing quite as fun and inventive as Pitch Black.

Now streaming on Peacock.

And check out @Sam Posten's review of Pitch Black on UHD here.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
883929669769f.jpg

Title: IT: Chapter Two

Year:
Director: Andy Muschietti
Writer: Stephen King (1947) (Original Material By), Gary Dauberman (Screenwriter)
Rating: Rated R : Disturbing Violent Content and Bloody Images Throughout, Pervasive Language and Some Crude Sexual Material
Length: 169 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Atmos: 3D, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Jessica Chastain as Beverly Marsh
James McAvoy as Bill Denbrough
Bill Hader as Richie Tozier
Isaiah Mustafa as Mike Hanlon
Jay Ryan as Ben Hanscom
James Ransone as Eddie Kaspbrak

Plot:
After 27 years, IT has returned. As people begin to disappear in Derry, Mike calls the rest of the Losers' Club home so they can destroy IT once and for all. Damaged by the past, the Losers must conquer their deepest fears to take on Pennywise... who is now deadlier than ever.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Featurettes
Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
It is a great continuation. I loved the cast as well as where they went with the story. Though I didn't care much for the way the ended it. I found it much different then the 80's miniseries which I loved. Despite the ending I would say I enjoyed this double feature as much as I did the original telling.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
:emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U- 4k UHD
B - Blu Ray Viewing
D - DVD Viewing
S - Streaming

Bold/Red = Denotes first ever viewing

Rating - Out of a possible 5 :emoji_skull_crossbones:

Night of the Demon - D - : :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Nightmare Cinema - D -:emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Invisible Man - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
Lighthouse - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Vampires vs The Bronx - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
The Lost Boys - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
The Amityville Horror - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:

Fantasy Island - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Jeepers Creepers 2 - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
Don't Knock Twice - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
The Dead Don't Die - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Mostly Ghostly: Have You Met My Ghoulfriend - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Damned By Dawn - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Christine - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Good Boy - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Resicent Evil: Damnation - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Hocus Pocus - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
It - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
It: Chapter 2 - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:

Total Watched: 19

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
10. The Ghost Breakers (1940) ***1/2

MV5BMDM1Njk2NTktZjBkZC00MjYyLTgxZjEtMDJjMWI5YzdkMmU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjU5OTg5NDc@._V1_.jpg

I've always liked "old dark house" movies, and this is one of the best, even if we don't get to the aforementioned house until the last third of the movie. Stylish and breezy mystery/comedy has a lot of laughs, some good atmosphere and even a full-on, seemingly real ghost. Bob Hope is on fine form as a radio personality who comes to the aid of a young woman (a game and gorgeous Paulette Goddard) who has just inherited a haunted island estate in Cuba, from which several interested parties are trying to scare her away. Willie Best steals the show as Hope's valet. With Richard Carlson, Anthony Quinn and Paul Lukas. Noble Johnson also turns up as a zombie.

11. Slither (2006) ***

MV5BMGM3ZTdmZGEtNTA2NS00YWVkLWI3YzgtMmEyNzE3YmEyNGZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_CR0,45,480,270_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

An alien parasite lands in the woods near a small South Carolina town and begins wreaking havoc, infecting the locals with brain-eating slugs and turning them into hive-mind zombies hungry for flesh. James Gunn's homage to 1980s horror is a goopy, gross-out good time, thanks to some imaginative body horror creature effects and a capable cast, including Nathan Fillion, Michael Rooker, Elizabeth Banks and Gregg Henry (very funny as a foul-mouthed mayor).

Last edited:

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
10/13

14. Reanimator (1985) - ****

Another 80s gem I hadnt seen since VHS days. I bought the Arrow blu ray last year and was saving it for the challenge.

When Herbert West, who has come up with a reagent that brings animal tissue back to life, decides to experiment on human cadavers things get a little out of hand.

Jeffrey Combs and David Gail are a joy as competing power hungry mad scientists seemingly in a contest to out act each other.
The plot is simple, if not a little contrived, but thats okay because it perfectly sets up some completely batshit crazy scenarios wich I wont spoil here.

I enjoyed this so much that instead of sneaking in another movie for the challenge I wound up watching the feature length making of doc.

Sandro

Second Unit
Rated * to ****

Island of Terror ***
No-nonsense British sci-horror in the Quatermass vein with Peter Cushing and others investigating an experiment gone wrong on a Scottish island. Enjoyable for those who like this kind of thing. Watched with Svengoolie.

Deerskin ***
From the director of Rubber comes another idiosyncratic movie about a man experiencing a midlife crisis who becomes obsessed with a deerskin jacket and gets involved in moviemaking with a young woman. Absurdist and comic treatment of a common horror theme all done in 77 minutes. I really have to catch up with some of Dupieux's other movies. You can watch this one on Showtime.

Sadistic Baron Von Klaus ***
For horror fans who do not like Jess Franco's later movies, you should definitely watch the early Gothic ones. This one is set in the modern day (well 1962!) and has a lot of plot and characters in a story of stabbings linked to the von Klaus family and their history. Notable for a stylish and graphic torture scene which goes way beyond what Italian directors like Bava, Margheriti and Freda were doing around the same time. Howard Vernon is in it again.

Sea Fever ***
Vaguely Lovecraftian sea monster/body horror tale which stays away from too much violence and effects and concentrates on characters, investigation and suspense. Surprising ending although it is totally earned. Streaming on Hulu.

Gretel & Hansel ***
I have not seen this film get too much recognition but is absolutely worth a watch. Oz Perkins (Blackcoat's Daughter) re-imagines the classic fairy tale with a feminine emphasis, creating a fantastical atmosphere with marvelous cinematography and an electronic score from Robin Coudet (who did the brilliant score for the Maniac remake). Yes, it is a little bumpy going (probably studio interference) but way better than most mainstream horror and it's only 87 minutes long! The IMDB score of 5.3 is a travesty.

Frankenstein Created Woman **
One of Hammer's weakest efforts has interesting plot points (this time Frankenstein is transferring souls) but wastes them in a film that feels small and slapdash.

A Cold Night's Death (1973) ***
Classic TV movie is basically a two-hander with Robert Culp and Eli Wallach (both playing slightly against type) as scientists trying to figure out what happened at a research station in the Arctic. This creates a credible, polar atmosphere and has a rather unique story that is not completely explained. Available on YouTube for those who are tired of watching The Thing.

Demon (1963) *** ½
I only heard about this film recently and it does not seem to be that well-known but it’s fantastic. It's as if Mario Bava made a neo-realist movie! Or Rossellini made a Gothic horror film. A strange young woman in a Southern Italian village who may or may not be a witch or possessed by the devil, starts behaving even more strangely. The film takes place in an atmosphere of superstition and suspicion within the twin influences or religion and folklore. Notable for an extraordinary lead performance by Daliah Lavi that approaches Isabelle Adjani levels of physicality especially in the standout scene, an exorcism in a church. Available on YouTube and highly recommended.
Trivia note: American actor Frank Wolff who played in multiple spaghetti westerns plays the object of Lavi's obsessive love.

Poughkeepsie Tapes ***
"Controversial" found footage is actually really well-done with several disturbing scenes but no discernible point. This really needed a strong finish but it just peters out.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Rating - Out of a possible 4
skull.gif

063) 10/13/2020 The Mummy's Hand (1940)
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2

First and best of the Kharis films which pretty much followed the exact same plot for each of the four outings. Princess Ananka's burial place is threatened so high priest unleashes the mummy to punish the desecrators. But the priest falls in lust with the female lead and Kharis feels betrayed. The cast is very likable and there are some strong scenes. But the approach is more often lightweight adventure then horror. The mummy is probably the most misused of the Universal monsters.

064) 10/13/2020 The Ape (1940)
skull.gif
skull.gif

When an ape escapes from the circus, dotty scientist Boris Karloff decides to dress up in ape costume and murder people to help with his experiments. Silly Monogram programmer at least features a sincere Karloff performance.

065) 10/13/2020 You'll Find Out (1940)
skull.gif
skull.gif

Someone thought it would be a grand idea to get Karloff, Lugosi, and Lorre together for a Kay Keyser vehicle and then not take advantage of the teaming. The terror trio is attempting to murder young woman about to inherit large estate. The horror stars are fine but the musical shenanigans and hit-or-miss comedy make this something of chore.

066) 10/14/2020 The Devil Bat (1940)
skull.gif
skull.gif

Feeling unappreciated by his employers mad scientist Bela Lugosi decides to kill them with enlarged bats he keeps in his lab. Another silly poverty row thriller made watchable by its star.

067) 10/14/2020 The Face Behind the Mask (1941)
skull.gif
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2

Exemplary B picture about Hungarian immigrant (Peter Lorre) whose face is horribly disfigured in a fire. He turns to crime for money but has a chance at redemption when he falls in love with a blind woman (Evelyn Keyes). Fast paced drama with Lorre excellent as usual, and with a gut punch finale. Only quibble is Keyes' character is a bit too good to be true at times.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Ok, so let me get on a soapbox for a minuet, How many years, and this forum included have we heard that physical media is dead or dying? More than I care to count, but what amazes me is that for a format that is supposedly floundering all of the great releases that have come about after all of these so called facts. We all have our favorites, and I think it would be fair to state that as a collective most on here strive for the best that we can view, discussions, recommendations, critiques and all in a non judgmental way, very openminded.

Every year I look forward to this challenge, to the dismay of my wife sometimes, but she understands. Already in this thread I am scoping out the different viewings looking for a title that I want or need to see, (ponders to self, can Kino release The Norliss Tapes, like they did Night Stalker???) 17 days left, and I am not as far along as I had hoped I would be, but it's mostly exploring all new stuff this time and am surprised that I haven't see some of these. Oh and I just want to throw this out there, my belief is that John Stell hasn't slept in 14 days, LOL.

Next Big Boxset
1602685176448.png Steps up to the plate with a boxset that no one in there right mind would have even though about putting together, these demented folks released a Limited Edition of 31 Al Adamson films, that is pretty much sold out, and i am thankful to them for it!

1602687480096.png

First Time Viewing

16. Psycho A Go-Go :emoji_star: :emoji_star:
17. Fiend with the Electronic Brain:emoji_star::emoji_star:1/2

for those unfamiliar with Adamson's work, lets just say shlocky, drive-in fare, entertaining at points, and not so much at others, the kinds of films that back when MST3K was new would rag on.

Psycho A Go-Go

is a listed as a thriller, opens up to a nice set of go go dancers shaking their money makers and then jumps into a jewelry heist gone wrong. One of the henchmen is the sadistic Psycho, and seems to get his kicks killing people and slapping the hell out of women. He goes on the road to track down a mother and daughter to recover the lost gems, and it ends better than I thought it would, creepiest thing in this movie is the little girls singing doll voice, just weird.

Fiend with the Electronic Brain

oh where to start, Al took Roger Corman's king of low budget and turns it on it proverbial ear. Psycho A Go-Go was recut, and some new footage filmed with John Carradine as a doctor, apparently the Psycho was one of the first Viet Nam vest with traumatic brain injury, and instead of him in a vetitive state, The good doctor took it on himself to implant a device in his brain to give him back a normal life, but it didn't happen, that is now the reason for his impulse control issues. with the recut I think we get another song at the club, John Carradine, and another scene of the Go-Go dancers in a different outfit and that alone is worth half a star

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Ok, so let me get on a soapbox for a minuet, How many years, and this forum included have we heard that physical media is dead or dying? More that I care to count, but what amazes me is that for a format that is supposedly floundering all of the great releases that have come about after all of these so called facts. We all have our favorites, and I think it would be fair to state that as a collective most on here strive for the best that we can view, discussions, recommendations, critiques and all in a non judgmental way, very openminded.

Every year I look forward to this challenge, to the dismay of my wife sometimes, but she understands. Already in this thread I am scoping out the different viewings looking for a title that I want or need to see, (ponders to self, can Kino release The Norliss Tapes, like they did Night Stalker???) 17 days left, and I am not as far along as I had hoped I would be, but it's mostly exploring all new stuff this time and am surprised that I haven't see some of these. Oh and I just want to throw this out there, my belief is that John Stell hasn't slept in 14 days, LOL.

Next Big Boxset
View attachment 80141 Steps up to the plate with a boxset that no one in there right mind would have even though about putting together, these demented folks released a Limited Edition of 31 Al Adamson films, that is pretty much sold out, and i am thankful to them for it!

View attachment 80142
First Time Viewing

16. Psycho A Go-Go :emoji_star: :emoji_star:
17. Fiend with the Electronic Brain:emoji_star::emoji_star:1/2

for those unfamiliar with Adamson's work, lets just say shlocky, drive-in fare, entertaining at points, and not so much at others, the kinds of films that back when MST3K was new would rag on.

Psycho A Go-Go

is a listed as a thriller, opens up to a nice set of go go dancers shaking their money makers and then jumps into a jewelry heist gone wrong. One of the henchmen is the sadistic Psycho, and seems to get his kicks killing people and slapping the hell out of women. He goes on the road to track down a mother and daughter to recover the lost gems, and it ends better than I thought it would, creepiest thing in this movie is the little girls singing doll voice, just weird.

Fiend with the Electronic Brain

oh where to start, Al took Roger Corman's king of low budget and turns it on it proverbial ear. Psycho A Go-Go was recut, and some new footage filmed with John Carradine as a doctor, apparently the Psycho was one of the first Viet Nam vest with traumatic brain injury, and instead of him in a vetitive state, The good doctor took it on himself to implant a device in his brain to give him back a normal life, but it didn't happen, that is now the reason for his impulse control issues. with the recut I think we get another song at the club, John Carradine, and another scene of the Go-Go dancers in a different outfit and that alone is worth half a star

That little doll can get f**ked. I've only watched these up until Satan's Sadists in chronological order, so you'll have to let me know if "never ending footchases" is the true Adamson genre since boy, did he go hard with them at the start!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
That little doll can get f**ked. I've only watched these up until Satan's Sadists in chronological order, so you'll have to let me know if "never ending footchases" is the true Adamson genre since boy, did he go hard with them at the start!

you are right, it's just weird, the voice is all warbled, creeper than some of the stuff in big budgets, and well only two films in so i will check for footchases , but notice he looks like what ever public area he could use with out a permit to keep under budget he would use.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Got one in last night. It was a stinker, BLAH!

027 10/13 Curse of the Blind Dead (2020) 1.5/5 First off, it’s been ages since I watched the original Blind Dead films and I barely remember them since they weren’t exactly a wild hair up my ass so I have no idea how this fits with them, if it does at all. There are templars doing satanic things, trying to bring a devil baby into the world. There are some zombie looking blind dead. Mostly though this is a post-apocalyptic deal about a father and daughter trying to survive that plays like a crappy THE WALKING DEAD knock off more than anything. Nearly gave this one 2 stars since some of the make-up that wasn’t CGI was kind of cool so feel free to consider a 2 star picture.

I got that giant Friday the 13th set from Shout and Severin's Lenzi/Baker Giallo sets last night in the mail so I may dip into those though I'm really tempted to hold off on F13 and run it hard next year with a slasher heavy challenge. Then again, it's not like I've not seen them a billion times already so what's a double year going to do, kill me? Maybe just the first 4 (the good ones) and the last couple (the other good ones). -_-

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
10/13

13. The Reptile (1966) - First time viewing - ***

This is a fine little hammer picture. In the opening scene a man finds a note in his home and runs to the mansion across the moors only to be bitten by a creature and die the black death. His Brother soon moves into the mans cottage and begins investigating the mysterious death.

From the opening scene we know about the creature. And from the one sentence description provided by TCM we know that the daughter of the neighbor is the titular reptile. Thus the first two thirds of the film while well acted and shot are a bit of a slog as we wait for the chatacters to figure out what we already know.

But it is saved by an exciting final act, beginning with the brother finding a note as in the beginning, along with a full reveal of the reptiles simple but effectively cool makeup effects.

A fine little film, but nothing great.
One of my absolute favorite HAmmer films.
Brilliant!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks