What's new

***Official 21st Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2020*** (1 Viewer)

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S

41M2ARDE6PL.jpg
images

tumblr_pyxyxaBCrL1sdkovlo10_500.gifv

o0500021514073924666.gif

owen%2Bwilson%2Bhaunting.gif

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
032429326973f.jpg

Title: Pet Sematary

Year:
Director: Kevin Kölsch, Dennis Widmyer
Writer: Stephen King (1947) (Original Material By), Matt Greenberg (Story By), Jeff Buhler (Screenwriter)
Rating: Rated R : Horror Violence, Bloody Images, and Some Language
Length: 101 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.39:1
Audio: English: Dolby Atmos: 3D, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Czech: Dolby Digital: 5.1, German: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Japanese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Hungarian: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Polish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Russian: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: Arabic, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovakian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Other

Stars:
Jason Clarke (1969) as Louis
Amy Seimetz as Rachel
John Lithgow as Jud
Jeté Laurence as Ellie
GageHugo Lavoie

Plot:
Based on STEPHEN KING'S terrifying novel comes a film critics are calling a "CREEPY MASTERPIECE."* After the Creed family relocates from Boston to rural Maine, they soon discover an ancient burial ground hidden deep in the woods near their new home. When tragedy strikes, the grief-stricken father is driven by the cemetary's sinister power, setting off a perilous chain of events that unleashes unfathomable evil with horrific consequences. Some secrets are best left buried in this "TWISTED AND BONE-CHILLING"** thrill ride.

*Alyse Wax, COMINGSOON.NET
**Megan Navarro, BLOODY DISGUSTING

Extras:
Scene Access
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
This probably won't be a popular opinion as it seems many people do not like remakes period. But I have always been for giving them a chance to see what they do with them. And this remake is one of the reasons why. They took the main story line of the original and them went in their own direction for the actual story. Giving us a completely differnt stoy. Almost as in how would this story be written in a parralel universe. In this case I definitely like the original better but feel this one is definitely worth the watch in it's own right. I think they tried to go in a darker place then the original.I think the biggest problem I had is I wasn't happy with the choice of actor for the father. On the other hand I liked John Lithgow as Jud.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
:emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/0

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U- 4k UHD
B - Blu Ray Viewing
D - DVD Viewing
S - Streaming

Bold/Red = Denotes first ever viewing

Rating - Out of a possible 5 :emoji_skull_crossbones:

Night of the Demon - D - : :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Nightmare Cinema - D -:emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Invisible Man - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
Lighthouse - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Vampires vs The Bronx - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
The Lost Boys - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
The Amityville Horror - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:

Fantasy Island - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Jeepers Creepers 2 - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
Don't Knock Twice - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
The Dead Don't Die - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Mostly Ghostly: Have You Met My Ghoulfriend - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Damned By Dawn - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Christine - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Good Boy - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Resicent Evil: Damnation - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Hocus Pocus - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
It - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
It: Chapter 2 - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Pet Sematary (1989) - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Pet Sematary (2019) - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2

Total Watched: 21

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
097363274728f.jpg

Title: Pet Sematary 2: Widescreen Collection

Year:
Director: Mary lambert
Writer:
Rating:
Rated R : Strong Horror Violence, and for Sexuality and Language
Length: 100 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Edward Furlong as Jeff Matthews
Anthony Edwards (1962) as Chase Matthews
Clancy Brown as Gus Gilbert
Jared Rushton as Clyde Parker
Darlanne Fluegel as Renee Hallow
Jason McGuire as Drew Gilbert

Plot:
Sometimes dead is better. But the shocking terror that plagued Ludlow, Maine in Pet Sematary is still very much alive in this heart-stopping sequel to the 1989 hit film written by Stephen King.

After the death of his wife, veterinarian Chase Matthews (Anthony Edwards, TV's "ER") and hsi 13-year-old son Jeff (Edward Furlong, "Terminator 2: Judgement Day") move to Ludow to rebuild their lives. Antagonized by the neighborhood kids, Jeff befriends another outsider, Drew Gilbert, who lives in fear of his cruel stephfather Gus (Clancy Brown, "Highlander"). After Gus cold-bloodely shoots Drew's beloved dog, the boys bury the body in the local Indian burial grounds - a place rumored to have powers of resurrection. When evil is awakened, the boys realize that sometimes you should just let dead dogs lie.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
After watching the original and the remake this one was a disappointment. I did find it to be an average flick but definitly no more then that. The stoey wasn't nearly as good and I really didn't care for any of the characters. I get the feeling when the boy brought his mother back and she held out her arms to him... he was supposed too look creepy but he really didn't pull it off I. The story line is sub-par and I barely found the ending entertaining. I wouldn't go out looking for this one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
:emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U- 4k UHD
B - Blu Ray Viewing
D - DVD Viewing
S - Streaming

Bold/Red = Denotes first ever viewing

Rating - Out of a possible 5 :emoji_skull_crossbones:

Night of the Demon - D - : :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Nightmare Cinema - D -:emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Invisible Man - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
Lighthouse - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Vampires vs The Bronx - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
The Lost Boys - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
The Amityville Horror - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:

Fantasy Island - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Jeepers Creepers 2 - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:
Don't Knock Twice - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
The Dead Don't Die - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Mostly Ghostly: Have You Met My Ghoulfriend - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Damned By Dawn - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Christine - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Good Boy - S - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Resicent Evil: Damnation - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
Hocus Pocus - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones::emoji_skull_crossbones:1/2
It - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
It: Chapter 2 - B - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Pet Sematary (1989) - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones:
Pet Sematary (2019) - U - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2
Pet Sematary 2 - D - :emoji_skull_crossbones: :emoji_skull_crossbones: 1/2

Total Watched: 22

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
OCTOBER 15:

11) The Mystery of the Wax Museum* (1933) (WAC Blu-ray Disc) 3/5 stars
- Directed by the great and very prolific Michael Curtiz, Mystery of the Wax Museum just underwent a major restoration from what I understand, and it looks... good. I can only imagine what shape the elements were in! Basically setting the template for the genre, this movie revolves around the basic plot of a master sculptor working in wax, who is double-crossed by his business partner and left to burn in his London workshop when said partner commits arson to collect on the insurance. Horribly disfigured, he recreates all of his works years later in New York, and turns to using real human bodies for the basis of his wax figures because he's unable to sculpt with his burned hands. Highlighted by some very interesting cinematography for its time, and a delightful performance by Glenda Farrell as a plucky newspaper woman who refuses to be dominated by the men she comes up against. Fay Wray does Fay Wray.

12) Pet Sematary* (2019) (4K UHD Disc) 3/5 stars - Well done remake with a great cast and a pretty good creepy vibe, it tweaks the original King story and never quite gels, but is fairly entertaining all the same.

Last edited:

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
OCTOBER 15:

11) Mystery of the Wax Museum* (1933) (Blu-ray Disc) 3/5 stars
- Directed by the great and very prolific Michael Curtis, Mystery of the Wax Museum just underwent a major restoration from what I understand, and it looks... good. I can only imagine what shape the elements were in! Basically setting the template for the genre, this movie revolves around the basic plot of a master sculptor working in wax, who is double-crossed by his business partner and left to burn in his London workshop when said partner commits arson to collect on the insurance. Horribly disfigured, he recreates all of his works years later in New York, and turns to using real human bodies for the basis of his wax figures. Highlighted by some very interesting cinematography for its time, and a delightful performance by Glenda Farrell as a plucky newspaper woman who refuses to be dominated by the men she comes up against. Fay Wray does Fay Wray.
Warner Bros. included this on the House of Wax DVD, as the feature on the flip side...

1602804771569.png

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've watched a whole lot of movies over the past week since I last posted so I'm just going to break up my list into chunks of ten or so to make it easier.

20. Halloween 4: The Return Of Michael Myers

LIke the title says, Michael returns. By no means is it up to the Carpenter entries but this is still a solid sequel where you like the kids in the movie so you care if they live or die.

21. Halloween 5

A year after the previous movie, Michael goes back to Haddonfield to hunt his niece. The characters are largely annoying so you're happy to see them die which undoes any chance for suspense that the movie has. This should easily be the worst movie in the series but Halloween: Resurrection is soooo bad...

22. Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers

Six years later, Michael's niece escapes the cult holding her and Michael goes after her. The poor screenwriter was clearly a fan and he tried to bring in all the ridiculous 'Thorn cult' elements introduced by Halloween 5 so you get a movie that is just nutty at times. This is not a good movie but I guess it falls into the "so bad it's good" column for me. Since it was the 25th anniversary (where does the time go?), I went with the theatrical cut.

23. Halloween: H20

Michael finds Laurie now teaching at a private school in California and he tries to kill her. It's nice to have Jamie Lee Curtis back but I've never really been into this movie.

24. Halloween: Resurrection

Michael returns to his house where a group of young people that are webcasting their Halloween night at the Myers house. Intermittently funny-bad but more just bad-bad. Terrible.

25. A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)

A group of teens is stalked in their dreams by a killer. Still has legitimate suspense after all these years and it's a great concept. One of Wes Craven's finest movies and a classic!

26. A Nightmare On Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge

A teen boy moves into the Elm Street house five years later and Freddy begins to possess him. A lousy sequel but more interesting because of the homoerotic elements of the movie in a mainstream movie in 1985 that were widely missed and because it still kept Freddy scary. I have to give them credit for the iconic Freddy moment of "You've got the body, I've got the brains."

27. A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

A group of teens in a mental hospital come together to fight Freddy. The best of the regular NOES sequels because the kids' powers are fun and because you root for them to beat Freddy. This movie doesn't make Freddy too funny but you can see them definitely going that route.

28. A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master

The surviving Dream Warriors are back but so is Freddy. There's some imaginative sequences but this where Freddy became funny and it hurts the movie badly.

29. A Nightmare On Elm Street: The Dream Child

The survivor of the previous movie is now pregnant and her baby dreams of Freddy bringing him back. They tried to make Freddy darker again but the movie isn't very good.

30. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare

Freddy's heretofore unmentioned child is the key to finally killing him. There's some fun stuff in here ("Hey Spence, let's trip out") but they didn't go out on the strongest note. One of the best parts of the movie is the credits that has a "best-of" Freddy with clips from all the movies with an Iggy Pop song playing over them.

31. Wes Craven's New Nightmare

The creators of the original movie are making a new Freddy movie and have accidentally brought a much more evil version of him into the real world. The actors are good and since it features the actors from the original movie, you're already invested in them and their situation. The "meta" aspect of this movie really works. Another top notch entry from Wes Craven and another shining moment for him.

whacky blacky

Second Unit
Real Name
shawn blackman
October 15

37. Darkness Waits (2020). FTV. Streamed. 1.5/5. A really bad one with a paranormal team checking out a site where they are killed off one by one.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
October 15: Let Me In (2010) – 4 out of 5

Young Owen, shy and bullied, meekly contends with ruthless school kids and the cold of the Los Alamos, New Mexico winter. One night be meets Abby and they become friends. He soon comes to learn Abby is a vampire, but their bond has become strong and their lives and futures will never be the same.

This American-English remake of the extraordinary Let the Right One In is in many ways a triumph. It retains much of the spirit of the original, selects terrific talent to take on the key roles (Kodi Smit-McPhee, Chloë Grace Moretz, Elias Koteas, Richard Jenkins), and makes some narrative adjustments that never betray the original but rather work better for the American setting. A few of the changes come at the expense of some of the original film’s peripheral characters who all had presence enough to feel real and not simply dressing on the main course. Still, that aside, Let Me In captures the essence well.

Directed by Matt Reeves, who would go on to direct the last two masterful installments in the recent Planet of the Apes prequel films, and is now handling DC’s The Batman, his visual style is all over this film. This remake stays very close to the elements of the Swedish film so that, watching it back-to-back with the original dulls the experience some, but Reeves has a little more visual flair in some moments, particularly a car crash sequence (new to this version) which is terrifically done and doesn’t betray the more muted tone innate to the story.

A VERY Good film but if you must pick, watch the original.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I love the original so much that I never could see how it could be improved upon. As a result I shunned this version from the get-go and have never seen it. Maybe I should give it a chance.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm not a fan of '70s exploitation flicks and had never seen any of them until maybe the last ten years. Since then I've seen a handful, including some of the recent revisits. I tend to prefer the revisits, maybe because the gritty, low budget, shot for a bag of chips look of the originals doesn't appeal to me. I had gotten all of the "Firefly Trilogy" recently with the intention of watching them this month. the only one I'd seen before was The Devil's Rejects. I can't give these movies a number rating because I just have no idea what it would be.

(15) House of 1,000 Corpses (2003) - A somewhat typical homage to the '70s films I remember theaters hyping when I was too young to see them. I recall the big posters in the lobby with warnings that the theater wasn't responsible for the consequences of seeing the movie, that absolutely nobody under 18 would be admitted, so on and so forth. I think the one that stuck in my mind was I Spit On Your Grave. The posted was memorable, plus the title just stuck in my mind.

Clearly Rob Zombie is a fan of these flicks, and he joined the homage crowd with House of 1,000 Corpses. This is a pretty ordinary example of the genre, with sadistic characters doing nasty things to unfortunate people. What makes it stand out is the introduction of the Firefly family, particularly Otis (Bill Moseley), Baby (Sheri Moon Zombie) and Captain Spaulding (Sid Haig). This first installment of the trilogy is a pretty straight copy of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

(16) The Devil's Rejects (2005) - Here is where Zombie hits his stride. Can a movie be masterfully made, and thoroughly disgusting at the same time? Prior to seeing The Devil's Rejects, I would have said "No", but RZ proved me wrong. The love of the genre comes through in spades, and it's remarkably well done. Otis, Baby and Captain Spaulding are the things of nightmares, and all three actors portray them extremely well.

(17) 3 From Hell (2019) - Inexplicably, our trio returns 14 years later, except in the story only a short time has passed, and it was not a good idea. Sadly, Sid Haig would pass away shortly after the film was made, and he looks it. Watching him at the beginning of the movie was as unsettling as what would follow.

What happened? Maybe it comes back to the fact I'm just not a fan of this genre, but the first half is really a Zombie version of the home invasion story The Desperate Hours, which has been filmed several times, most notably starring Humphrey Bogart in 1955 and Mickey Rourke in 1990. I don't know how far that continues, because half way through the movie I did something I virtually never do. I shut it off. I'd had enough. I didn't see any reason to continue. I didn't see it going anywhere. At least not anywhere I wanted to go.

Last edited:

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
OCTOBER 15:

11) Mystery of the Wax Museum* (1933) (WAC Blu-ray Disc) 3/5 stars
- Directed by the great and very prolific Michael Curtis, Mystery of the Wax Museum just underwent a major restoration from what I understand, and it looks... good. I can only imagine what shape the elements were in!

The new restoration on this was incredible. It really was like seeing the film for the first time. Especially the start of the picture in the fire. There were just so many details that all previous transfers left out! DOCTOR X is being worked on now so hopefully that'll get released in the next year or two.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
October 15: Let Me In (2010) – 4 out of 5

Young Owen, shy and bullied, meekly contends with ruthless school kids and the cold of the Los Alamos, New Mexico winter. One night be meets Abby and they become friends. He soon comes to learn Abby is a vampire, but their bond has become strong and their lives and futures will never be the same.

This American-English remake of the extraordinary Let the Right One In is in many ways a triumph. It retains much of the spirit of the original, selects terrific talent to take on the key roles (Kodi Smit-McPhee, Chloë Grace Moretz, Elias Koteas, Richard Jenkins), and makes some narrative adjustments that never betray the original but rather work better for the American setting. A few of the changes come at the expense of some of the original film’s peripheral characters who all had presence enough to feel real and not simply dressing on the main course. Still, that aside, Let Me In captures the essence well.

Directed by Matt Reeves, who would go on to direct the last two masterful installments in the recent Planet of the Apes prequel films, and is now handling DC’s The Batman, his visual style is all over this film. This remake stays very close to the elements of the Swedish film so that, watching it back-to-back with the original dulls the experience some, but Reeves has a little more visual flair in some moments, particularly a car crash sequence (new to this version) which is terrifically done and doesn’t betray the more muted tone innate to the story.

I love the original so much that I never could see how it could be improved upon. As a result I shunned this version from the get-go and have never seen it. Maybe I should give it a chance.
I think Let Me In is extremely good. I own both movies and I'd seen Let the Right One In a couple years before Let Me In. I've also never understood the attitude of "I love movie 'a' so I refuse to see movie 'b'." There's no reason both can't occupy their individual space. They are the same, but they're also different. LMI is a little more outright horror and LTROI is a little more philosophical. LTROI has a ray of sunshine with Oscar's father where LMI is just darkness. They both have earned space on my shelf.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
1602826311634.png

[Malevolence 2:] Bereavement :emoji_scream: :emoji_scream: :emoji_scream: 1/2

Six-year-old Martin Bristol is abducted from his backyard by a psychotic serial killer, Graham Sutter, and over the next five years is held captive and forced to observe as Sutter kidnaps and slaughters multiple young women in the bowels of his family's abandoned meat packing plant. Martin has a congenital defect where he cannot feel physical pain, and Sutter's mental torture slowly twists young Martin's mind to where he cannot feel emotional pain, either, as he follows in Sutter's horrifying footsteps.

Due to the subject matter and violence this can be a hard film to watch, but as a slasher/psychological thriller I find it quite good. While this is the second film produced in writer/director Stevan Mena's Malevolence trilogy, it's actually a prequel to the first film. The journey of Martin Bristol, from innocent child on a swing as he's then twisted into the serial killer introduced in Malevolence, is quite horrifying. With the level of violence, I thought I must be watching the unrated version but according to the case it's the R-rated theatrical cut (Rated R for sadistic bloody violence, torture, brief language and nudity). Rather surprising to me, given the violence, gore, and that most of the killings are portrayed to occur in front of a young boy between the ages of 6-11.

Very good cast considering this is a lower budget independent horror film, including Michael Biehn, John Savage, Alexandra Daddario, and Nolan Funk. There are a few oddities in the film that don't make much sense (unexplained shadows moving around, an unknown body under a sheet, Sutter frequently talks to the skull of a steer), but we can chalk that up to Sutter's deranged mindset and complete break with reality.

Probably not a movie in the wheelhouse of @Mike Frezon, but I think he's a fan of Alex Daddario. She spends most of the film in a variety of low cut tank tops. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1602823942356.png

Last edited:

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
10/15

17. Mark of the Vampire (1935) - first time viewing - **1/2

When a man is found dead with the mark of the vampire on his neck in Prague, the local Vampire expert and the chief of police are called in to solve the case before dawn.

This turned out to be more of a procedural/mystery than a horror film. Bela Lugosi is the Vampire, but hes barely in the film at all, he merely shows up at a few opportune moments to stare ominously into the camera. And hes very good at doing that.

This is an MGM film that I think was trying to measure up to the Universal horror films of the era. But the cinematography wasnt quite of the same quality, nor was the make up work. And the attempts at humor seemed forced.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
10. Black Friday (1940) NEW – We finished off the first volume of the Universal Horror Collection last night. Karloff plays a doctor who performs an illegal brain transplant to save his friend while Lugosi plays a gangster looking for the man whose brain was transplanted. The two don’t share any screen time, and the real star of the movie is Stanley Ridges in the dual role of mild mannered English professor and hardened killer. The story is weak, but the performances elevate the film.

:emoji_skull: :emoji_skull: :emoji_skull:1/2

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Rating - Out of a possible 4
skull.gif

073) 10/15/2020 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941)
skull.gif
skull.gif
skull.gif

Good remake with Spencer Tracy doing fine work as title characters. Not as flamboyant as the 1931 version and maybe a bit overlong.

074) 10/16/2020 The Smiling Ghost (1941)
skull.gif
skull.gif
1/2

Wayne Morris is paid $1,000 to get engaged to debutante for a month, unaware her last three fiancés met with horrible fates. Enjoyable horror comedy mystery hybrid, with Willie Best getting laughs as Morris' valet.

075) 10/16/2020 Spooks Run Wild (1941)
skull.gif
skull.gif

The East Side Kids think Bela Lugosi is The Monster, a mad killer terrorizing the neighborhood. They try to take him down in spooky old house. Scattered laughs and great gag towards the end involving a skull.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
In my almost 20 years on here, animated releases have a special place in my heart. And while i am waiting with baited breath for WAC to get back to more Popeye and Tex Avery, I wanted to bring attention to the smaller boutique labels every possible chance I can get. Arnold Leibovit's restorations of George Pal's Puppetoons, Steve Stanchfield's wonderful Thunderbean Animation and of course Tommy José Stathes' Cartoons on Film. These are labors of love done by Archivist with the best possible materials that they can source, and i hope that they continue to thrive as a David in a world of Corporate Goliaths. Enough soapbox , on to lasts nights viewing.

First Time Viewing
1602859511714.png

Cartoon Roots: Halloween Haunts :emoji_star: :emoji_star: :emoji_star::emoji_star:

Stathes' Cartoons on Film, knocks it out of the park with this specially curated collection of animation and early short features for the beginning of celluloid history 1907 - 1936 covers the time frame of these shorts, with early work of Max and Dave Fleisher, Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks and Walter Lantz. Lovingly restored to 2K by Steve Stanchfield, Thad Komorowski and David Grauman with new accompanying music by Robert Israel and Charlie Judkins.

Honestly this isn't meant to sound like a sales pitch, but every serious animation collector would want this collection. Even the titles over 113 years old shine, and are just as entertaining as the were over 100 years ago. The Pumpkin race is a wonderfully absurd short that just continued to bring a smile. One note is the these are as they were originally drawn and contain brief characterizations that are stereotypes. Lots of ghost in the toons and some haunted houses, nothing scary only bliss for those that want to see the history of animation in the best possible light. :D

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
For those who ordered the Friday the 13th set, Shout! Factory has a disc replacement program set up for some errors on the 3 discs.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm way off pace for the challenge this year. That said, I got the next two weeks off so should hopefully get around my regular numbers. Only one watched the past couple days. AWFUL FOR ME!

028 10/15 One Missed Call (2003) 3/5 Young college women are getting weird messages on their phones, predicting their deaths! Clearly this one is a remix of RINGU, the J-Horror classic that kicked this thing off. As it stands, it’s a pretty good idea and they make it work really well. Miike does a great job setting up the atmosphere, and the overlying mystery is interesting to keep you interested. Sadly it runs out of steam and the vague ending just doesn’t stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks