What's new

***Official 23rd Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2022*** (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'll most likely bend the "Thriller is a horror" film aplenty trying to find things not too gory/scary with mom in the evenings since I'm still caretaking her as she's 84. (Not complaining).
Also getting ready to re-start movie nights this fall with my mom (who's 76), though she doesn't mind some gore. She mentioned recently that she heard that there's a new "SAW" movie coming out soon.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My oldest grandkids (12 & 16 - their 20yo brother is living with my wife and me at the moment) came over a couple of days ago and asked if I'd watch the "Classic Universal" horror movies with them next month... Hmmm... not sure I'll have time as it *is* horror movie month... :laugh: I actually find it a bit humorous that they think they have to ask. :D

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
I had never thought of Robocop as a horror movie previously, however, I definitely see how one could attribute a Frankenstein-like spin to it. I'm not sure I personally would call it a horror movie, however, with the rules being as flexible as they are, I do think if one chose to watch it, hey, that's their choice, and think it should count. I seem to recall the rules including something to the effect of "If Wizard of Oz scares you go ahead and count it."

As an aside - thanks everyone for making me want to watch Robocop now! I'd been thinking about it for a while now, but I've been on a strict horror (what I consider horror at least) diet for a few weeks now. It may have to wait until November.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The old "what is a horror film" subject. It's such a fascinating one to have. I'd certainly include ROBOCOP. I mean, I see JAWS as more of an action film. Plus, Roger Ebert made a terrific claim as to why PINOCCHIO was the greatest horror movie ever made.

The "horror film" versus "horror elements" is always a tricky subject and very subjective.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The old "what is a horror film" subject. It's such a fascinating one to have. I'd certainly include ROBOCOP. I mean, I see JAWS as more of an action film. Plus, Roger Ebert made a terrific claim as to why PINOCCHIO was the greatest horror movie ever made.

The "horror film" versus "horror elements" is always a tricky subject and very subjective.
Yep - I've never considered JAWS to be a horror film, though *lots* of people do. I just accept it.

When I was ~5yo I'd get terribly frightened whenever Superman (on The Adventures of Superman) came into contact with Kryptonite - to the point I'd often hide my eyes until he got free. It's not horror in any way now but my 5yo self was scared silly.

I was watching Barbarella with my daughter when she was ~6. As soon as the metal teeth dolls came on screen she bailed in spite of my telling her it wasn't real and they weren't hurting Barbarella in the least. I stopped the movie and we watched some Looney Tunes instead.

When my oldest granddaughter was ~6 I attempted to introduce her to Frankenstein (1931) as that's about how old I was when I first saw it (I don't remember it scaring me in the least - Dracula (1931), though...) and the age I'd introduced it to her older brother. She was fine until the monster moved and groaned. She immediately left the room and refused to come back. Her brother (then age 9) and I finished the viewing and then put on something lighter so she'd come back.

I've heard stories of wet seats in theaters that ran The Jungle Book (1967) due to younger patrons being so scared they'd wet their pants.

I've *never* found clowns to be scary (stupid and unfunny, but not scary), yet a coworker is terribly frightened of them and won't even look at them, much less watch them in a movie - especially if it's a horror movie. I tried to get him to watch Killer Klowns from Outer Space - nope... not going to happen. And, to me, it's a comedy with some *very* mild horror elements.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
When my youngest son was 2, I had him watching and loving Nightmare Before Christmas despite all the creatures, and we went into every Halloween store we could find to look at all the animatronics and nastiness. It was then I considered myself a successful parent. I've failed miserably ever since, but those were some gold-star-on-the-fridge moments for me. :)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I’m away at a music festival but I’ll probably start the new thread tomorrow if that’s okay. If anyone has any suggestions or anything they want on the main post just let me know. It’ll probably be sometime tomorrow once I’m off work but I’m open to suggestions or whatever.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I saw Jaws with my dad when it first came out and it certainly scared me to death! Horror yessireee!

Here's a test question. When you first saw it did you jump just after he takes the shark tooth from under that boat?!! Don't wait for the translation!!! :p

I upgraded my JAWs collection this year. Jaws 4k, the rest blu ray with the 3rd in 3D. I have a few others out to watch as well. Open Water collection, The Reef, The Shallows and Meg 3d. I think I'll start mine on friday with Jaws or Halloween since I just picked up Halloween ends 4k (and a few others).

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
1695644859597.gif

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
I was reportedly born because of Jaws. Rumor has it that my mother and father were away with friends at the beach. They all watched Jaws in the theater and my mother was subsequently frightened to go in the water. She and my father stayed behind and I guess they got down to it. The scariest part is that, if true, it means they can pinpoint when I was conceived, and you all know what that means - apparently they did not engage in such activities often. That is the number 1 reason Jaws should be considered a horror flick.

Either way - thanks, Spielberg! I'm happy to be alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks