What's new

***Official 23rd Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2022*** (1 Viewer)

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Thanks for taking the time to post this! nice to see all the totals. This year was one of the funnest yet! Thanks to all who participated!

You're welcome. I do hope one of the top four (hint, hint) watchers will oversee things next year. I'm just getting lazier as I get older. I still want/need to go through and read each and every post. But between my job, my family (after getting home I'm usually taking one of my kids to something), my movie watching, my writing-up what I watch, my writing hobby (see links in my signature if at all interested), and now the Noirvember challenge (which I didn't realize just how much I'd enjoy but am now fully committed to), where does one find the time? I put more value in what people write here than I do in Rotten Tomatoes and the like. So, I do appreciate the time people spend to share their thoughts. They deserve to be read.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Only three months ....

Start planning your viewing. :emoji_jack_o_lantern: 🧛‍♂️ 👻 👿

1688260662011.png

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've already started pushing horror adjacent titles to the bottom of my watchlist to watch in October lol
I did that in July - on another forum there's a July SF/Fantasy challenge in which I participate every year... about half way through I'll shift any qualifying title which also has a horror genre tag to the bottom of the stack so I'll have more for October should I not get to it in July.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I started watching Slasher: Solstice, over the weekend. About 3 episodes in I realized I should probably hold it for October.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
My wife and I never watched The Walking Dead. I have no idea why this occured, it just did. So we dove in about a month ago and we are addicted!! We've plowed through and we're on Season 10. The sad part is that we will likely only have a few seasons of the spinoff Fear the Walking Dead or maybe Dead City left to watch during October. TWD is just so dang good.

As for this holiday weekend, I'm watching Halloween (2018), Halloween Kills, and Halloween Ends while my wife is off on an adventure with our daughter and my mother-in-law. The Halloween Season starts on September 1st for me. So here we are.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Setting discs aside from my unwatched pile for next month and thinking things like "Is Robocop a monster movie? Is that cheating?" :P
Absolutely not!! I do several challenges (different genres) on another site... for the July SF/Fantasy one I started removing the SF/Horror titles from the pile as the month got shorter. I'll be watching *those* next month. :D

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Absolutely not!! I do several challenges (different genres) on another site... for the July SF/Fantasy one I started removing the SF/Horror titles from the pile as the month got shorter. I'll be watching *those* next month. :D
But what if Robocop is considered a "Frankenstein" remix? If I really stretch it? :P
I'm just kidding, a massive 3 part documentary on the making of it came out and has me itching for a revisit. I'll probably hit it post challenge haha

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
But what if Robocop is considered a "Frankenstein" remix? If I really stretch it? :P
I'm just kidding, a massive 3 part documentary on the making of it came out and has me itching for a revisit. I'll probably hit it post challenge haha
I'd say that the rules about which films "count" in the challenge are fairly flexible. Robocop? Go for it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The biggest rule is that there really aren't any rules about specific content or titles. I think the themes and violence in RoboCop are enough to be "scary" and fine for the challenge.

And I think Howie was agreeing that it's fine. I believe the "absolutely not" was directed at your query of "is that cheating?" ;)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Why would it *not* be a Frankenstein remix of sorts? What *is* a cyborg if not a modern day version of Frankenstein?

IMDB has a "thriller" tag on it. In my book a "thriller" is often a horror movie in all but name. I can *easily* see Robocop being considered a horror movie.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The biggest rule is that there really aren't any rules about specific content or titles. I think the themes and violence in RoboCop are enough to be "scary" and fine for the challenge.

And I think Howie was agreeing that it's fine. I believe the "absolutely not" was directed at your query of "is that cheating?" ;)
Yes - exactly. In re-reading that post it really doesn't quite come off that way, does it?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I honestly didn't mean to debate Robocop, I swear lol. For me, it's an action movie first. There isn't any real part where it feels like it's trying to spook or scare you, and the monster aspect is played for action as opposed to a traditional monster film. Like many films though, it plays with genre so I wouldn't harsh anyone that did include it. I want to watch that five hour documentary first though, and I won't be getting to it pre-challenge so I wont be watching till after.

I'll most likely bend the "Thriller is a horror" film aplenty trying to find things not too gory/scary with mom in the evenings since I'm still caretaking her as she's 84. (Not complaining).

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I honestly didn't mean to debate Robocop, I swear lol. For me, it's an action movie first. There isn't any real part where it feels like it's trying to spook or scare you, and the monster aspect is played for action as opposed to a traditional monster film. Like many films though, it plays with genre so I wouldn't harsh anyone that did include it.
I'd say that Robocop contains enough body horror angles to be a valid entry, if that kind of thing scares or disturbs you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks