What's new

Official 2016 Oscar Nominations and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Room is going wider on Friday which is good since it is the only BP nomination I haven't seen.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Wayne_j said:
Room is going wider on Friday which is good since it is the only BP nomination I haven't seen.
I think Room is one of the lowest grossing BP nominees in decades so I'd recommend that anyone interested see it this coming week because there probably won't be a second week.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Oh, ROOM is good, very good. It's been playing a couple of weeks in the Dallas area, and it will still be playing next week. I haven't seen Rampling yet (and I adore her and would vote blindly for her), but having seen the other Best Actress nominees, I think Larson's the one to beat.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
To me these three are locks:

Best Picture

The Big Short

Bridge of Spies

Brooklyn

Mad Max: Fury Road

The Martian

The Revenant -WINNER

Room

Spotlight

Best Director

The Big Short

Mad Max: Fury Road

The Revenant - WINNER

Room

Spotlight

Best Actor

Bryan Cranston, Trumbo

Matt Damon, The Martian

Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant - WINNER

Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs

Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

I just think The Revenant is a great example of old school knock your socks off filmmaking and was the best thing I saw in a movie theater in the last year. I mean the film is gorgeous. DiCaprio goes all out in yet another performance and Inarritu has actually topped Birdman as this is a better film than that.

Spotlight would be my second choice for Best Picture but up against a tremendous film like The Revenant I just can't see that happening.

Plus truth be told, I would just love to see a big outdoor adventure picture set in the old west win Best Picture because it is so out of step with what is popular right now and maybe it would inspire more films like that to get a solid budget and green-lit.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think Miller has at least the same chance as inarritu. I agree on the other two. For now. [emoji3]

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, I will admit that the Academy probably would not seem to like the idea of giving the same guy Best Picture and Best Director two years in a row and that alone could sink the possibility of that happening...even though he is more deserving of the awards for this film than he was for Birdman. The Academy seems more interested in just spreading awards around than actually giving them to the most deserving pictures. So, quite possible they go with Spotlight, an old fashioned and beautifully done reporters get the big story film, as Best Picture and George Miller as Best Director for his big comeback film to reward him for years of working in the industry.

However, I really think those three should all go to The Revenant. I at least think DiCaprio can't miss because they will want to give him something for all the go for broke performances he has turned in over the years.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
bujaki said:
Oh, ROOM is good, very good. It's been playing a couple of weeks in the Dallas area, and it will still be playing next week. I haven't seen Rampling yet (and I adore her and would vote blindly for her), but having seen the other Best Actress nominees, I think Larson's the one to beat.
Yeah, it's been playing at the art theater near me for a couple of weeks (oddly, it didn't play there when it first opened and I ended up seeing it a small chain theater) but I think the major chains are going to have it for a brief period of time.

Reggie W said:
I at least DiCaprio can't miss because they will want to give him something for all the go for broke performances he has turned in over the years.
I think all 5 performances were excellent but if I was a voter, it'd be between Michael Fassbender and Leonardo DiCaprio for me and I'd give it to DiCaprio. I'd rather have seen him win for The Wolf Of Wall Street but he still gave the best performance this year.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think Spotlight has zero chance at BP. Screenplay maybe but that's it. Mad Max will walk away with the most awards that night I predict. Mostly technical.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
I think Spotlight has zero chance at BP. Screenplay maybe but that's it. Mad Max will walk away with the most awards that night I predict. Mostly technical.
Spotlight would easily get my vote for BP but I don't hold illusions of it actually winning. My money would be on The Revenent or maybe even The Martian.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Currently I would rate the BP nominees I've seen in this order.

1. Mad Max Fury Road
2. The Revenant
3. The Martian
4. The Big Short
5. Bridge Of Spies
6. Spotlight

Seeing Brooklyn tomorrow and maybe Room too.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Why do you think Spotlight has no chance, Tino? It is exactly the kind of "big issue" film loaded with good performances that the Academy loves to give awards to.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Reggie W said:
Why do you think Spotlight has no chance, Tino? It is exactly the kind of "big issue" film loaded with good performances that the Academy loves to give awards to.
I personally didn't think it was that great. Certainly good but I think it has lost its momentum and The Revenant or Mad Max will be the films to beat. We'll see how the rest of the awards pan out and see if it picks up any steam. I just don't see it winning the Oscar regardless.

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb
Saw The Revenant last night. It was definitely worth seeing on the big screen but I didn't love it. As a kindred spirit to those made for IMAX nature movies it was glorious to behold. Excellent score as well. But I didn't know it was going to be such a simple revenge flick and the story left me flat.

I liked Hardy, he very much reminded me of Tom Berenger's Sgt. Barnes from Platoon.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought it was much more than a "simple revenge flick". I looked at it as more of a spiritual, emotional and especially physical rebirth of a character that was left for dead.

But hey, that's just me. ☺️

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb
Tino said:
I thought it was much more than a "simple revenge flick". I looked at it as more of a spiritual, emotional and especially physical rebirth of a character that was left for dead.

But didn't we get all that in Kill Bill though? ;) I will say that the direction, cinematography, acting and score probably made for the best possible movie we could have ever hoped for with *this* screenplay, and I wouldn't bemoan it winning BP, it just didn't quite win me over. I will be glad if it's success leads to more epic wilderness adventures though.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Wow. Just saw Brooklyn and loved it. It is now #1 on my list, tied with Mad Max. Amazing film with a truly wonderful performance by Saoirse Ronan. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb
Saoirse is one of my favorite young actresses working today. I thought I was done with the BP nominees but I might have to bite the bullet and check that one out.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Kevin Lamb said:
Saoirse is one of my favorite young actresses working today. I thought I was done with the BP nominees but I might have to bite the bullet and check that one out.
See it Kevin. You'll thank me. [emoji12]

Room only one left for me to see. Next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks