What's new

Official 2016 Oscar Nominations and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I've seen nearly everything nominated, except for the docs and shorts, and I haven't seen "45 Years" for Charlotte Rampling's performance.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Colin Jacobson said:
Maybe Dano and Cusack canceled each other out?

Maybe, although it doesn't seem like the studio pushed the film much during the nomination season. The movie and the actors are on several critics' best of 2015 lists, so it must be the weak effort from the studio.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Colin Jacobson said:
Thinking of the possibility "MM:FR" will win BP, I looked to see the last time a movie won BP but didn't get a nom for Best Screenplay - "Titanic" was the last one.

Usually the BP winner also gets one of the 2 Screenplay awards, and it's exceedingly rare the BP goes to a movie not even nominated for Screenplay.

I stopped poking around after going back 20 years. Anyone know of other BP winners that weren't nominated for Best Screenplay?
Well it has two chances this year. The Revenant was also NOT nominated for a screenplay Oscar.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
So, my take on how this will likely shake out:

I really think you have two short-list pairings of potential Picture winners:

- The box office successes with lots of nominations: The Revenant, Mad Max: Fury Road

- The socially important dramas: The Big Short, Spotlight

Those are the four that can win Picture. All have director and editing noms.

The Revenant should be in the lead now because it counts all major branches as part of its nominations - Directors, Actors, Writers (my mistake - I thought it got a Screenplay nom), Technicians. But I wonder if Birdman's win just last year and its general bleakness hurts it just enough to let The Big Short or Spotlight take it away. Also, it may get other bias because of Birdman - no director has won in back to back years since Mankiewicz in 1949-50. No cinematographer has EVER won three times in a row.

And then there's Mad Max, which is propped up by the Director and Technical people. But those that love it LOVE it, and could perhaps push it over the top.

If it wasn't for The Revenant and Mad Max's support from the Technical side of the Academy I'd say The Martian has an Argo-like chance. But I just can't see it building any momentum unless, like Affleck, Scott wins the DGA. But the lack of editing nom hurts it big time.

I'm going with Miller winning director (because back-to-back wins just don't happen), with one of the other three (probably Spotlight) winning Picture.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Brandon Conway said:
So, my take on how this will likely shake out:

I really think you have two short-list pairings of potential Picture winners:

- The box office successes with lots of nominations: The Revenant, Mad Max: Fury Road

- The socially important dramas: The Big Short, Spotlight

Those are the four that can win Picture. All have director and editing noms.

The Revenant should be in the lead now because it counts all major branches as part of its nominations - Directors, Actors, Writers, Technicians. But I wonder if Birdman's win just last year and its general bleakness hurts it just enough to let The Big Short or Spotlight take it away. Also, it may get other bias because of Birdman - no director has won in back to back years since Mankiewicz in 1949-50. No cinematographer has EVER won three times in a row.

And then there's Mad Max, which is propped up by the Director and Technical people. But those that love it LOVE it, and could perhaps push it over the top.

If it wasn't for The Revenant and Mad Max's support from the Technical side of the Academy I'd say The Martian has an Argo-like chance. But I just can't see it building any momentum unless, like Affleck, Scott wins the DGA. But the lack of editing nom hurts it big time.

I'm going with Miller winning director (because back-to-back wins just don't happen), with one of the other three (probably Spotlight) winning Picture.
Back to back directing wins have happened twice in Oscar history.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Patrick Sun said:
Wow, I've seen nearly everything nominated, except for the docs and shorts, and I haven't seen "45 Years" for Charlotte Rampling's performance.
Like most people outside the industry.;)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Ronald Epstein said:
Happy THE ROOM got a nod for Best Picture. Very powerful film.
ROOM was nominated. THE ROOM is a midnight cult film, notorious for its ineptitude in all departments.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
Folks claming for the 2nd year in a row, all white nominees in the acting categories.
I'd be open to hearing what performances they feel are on par with the folks that are nominated. The problem isn't with the Oscars, it's with Hollywood and the roles that they hire minority actors for.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I was a little surprised that "The Walk" didn't at the very least get a visual effects nomination. To make a completely photorealistic depiction of the Twin Towers, and then place the audience in the middle of a wire walk between the two, is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen in my life. It may not have the whiz-bam appeal of outer space or alien monsters that usually get the most awards recognition, but that to me was more visually impressive than anything else I've seen on the big screen this year.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think that the simple reason Josh is that not enough members saw, or perhaps wanted to see, The Walk.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Tino said:
I think that the simple reason Josh is that not enough members saw, or perhaps wanted to see, The Walk.

You're probably right. It did make the shortlist of films eligible for a VFX nomination, which probably means that other effects artists recognized the quality of the work, but the general voting pool didn't see it. Such a shame - The Walk was exactly the kind of movie the Academy used to love honoring.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It was a good day for Sci-Fi films with Mad Max Fury Road, The Martian and The Force Awakens nabbing a collective 22 Oscar nominations. That has to be a record.

And I know I'm being a bit generous calling MMFR sci-fi. [emoji854]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks