What's new

Official 2016 Oscar Nominations and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I guess I'm weak, but the subject matter of Room is just not something that I want to see a movie about.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Robert Crawford said:
Same here, I have no interest in this film.
I'm surprised Crawdaddy. I would think that a small indie well reviewed film that's Oscar nominated would appeal to you regardless of a dark theme.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The Big Short won the PGA award. Wow. [emoji15] that throws a monkey wrench into the mix.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Seems like revenant took over from spotlight and now big short took over from revenant. Lots of lead changes in this race.

Madmax really baffles me it's in the hunt at all. The film is a fine adrenaline rush non stop blockbuster, like all the other action movies made these days the entire film is a two hour fight scene. Hooray it got nominated? I guess I'm glad it wasn't Michael bays car explosion films getting all this adulation? A fun film, but not even close to a great one.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It baffles you that others liked it more than you? Doesn't baffle me. I think it's one of the best action films ever made. And yes.... A GREAT one. [emoji12]

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Fury Road is far more than the average action film. The ideas packed within it are almost exponential. It's going to be a source of valuable film analysis for a long, long time.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think the DGA winner will lock down the BP. Unless it's Miller. If Inarritu or McKay wins, their film will too.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Mad Max on its surface is s two hour chase film. Beneath its an emotionally complex examination of human nature, violence, survival, family and loss.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
This might be one of the tightest years to predict yet. The only "sure" thing I believe is DiCaprio. And Stallone.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Stallone will be a sentimental win. His is a very good performance, btw, but not supporting in the least. For supporting actor, the Academy could have looked at, for example, Idris Elba in Beasts of No Nation, a worthy contender, and avoided a certain controversy.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I just saw Room today. Incredible film and while the subject matter is dark, it never overwhelms the film because the focus is on mother and son rather than captive and captor. Highly recommend people check it out.

Only BP noms I haven't seen are Spotlight and Brooklyn and at the moment Room tops all the others for me.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I can make one ironclad prediction: I won't be watching the Oscars I stopped caring about them years ago when they decided that, with few exceptions, only boutique films would get the major honors. In nearly all cases, if a film finds an audience of any size, it can forget about anything but technical awards.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Rick Thompson said:
I can make one ironclad prediction: I won't be watching the Oscars I stopped caring about them years ago when they decided that, with few exceptions, only boutique films would get the major honors. In nearly all cases, if a film finds an audience of any size, it can forget about anything but technical awards.
Yeah like Titanic, Return Of The King, Dances With Wolves, Forrest Gump, Gladiator...shall I go on. [emoji13]

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
sidburyjr said:
Sort of like Heath Ledger in Dark Knight.
I timed it out once and Ledger was onscreen for only about half an hour in the 2 1/2 hour movie. It's just that he's so damn good and his character is so menacing that you're always thinking about him, even when he's not there.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
Josh Steinberg said:
I timed it out once and Ledger was onscreen for only about half an hour in the 2 1/2 hour movie. It's just that he's so damn good and his character is so menacing that you're always thinking about him, even when he's not there.
Wow, that's a surprise. Did you happen to time out Bale?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks