What's new

Oscar Nominations That Should Have Been (1 Viewer)

derekbd

Grip
Real Name
Derek
Timothy Spall, leading actor for Mr Turner (2014).

Mr Spall is a tremendous actor, and while some of the audience not familiar with the celebrated English painter may confuse the character for the actor, Spall put %100 of his often often un-praised talent into the fantastic Mike Leigh period piece.

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Marlon Brando Reflections In A Golden Eye
Sonia Darrin The Big Sleep
Angie Dickinson Dressed To Kill
Faye Dunaway Mommie Dearest
Mia Farrow Rosemary's Baby
Tippi Hedren Marnie
John Gielgud Providence
Charlton Heston Will Penny
Jeremy Irons Dead Ringers
Jennifer Jones Madame Bovary
James Mason Lolita
Marilyn Monroe The Misfits
Luciana Paluzzi Thunderball
Anthony Perkins Psycho
Debbie Reynolds Catered Affair
Donald Sutherland Ordinary People
Liv Ullmann Shame
Jessica Walter Play Misty For Me
John Wayne The Searchers
Tuesday Weld Pretty Poison
Orson Welles Long Hot Summer
Richard Widmark Night And The City
Jane Wyman All That Heaven Allows
Big yes for Faye Dunaway, Mia Farrow, James Mason, Marilyn Monroe, Debbie Reynolds and Jessica Walter.
I thought Brian Keith was the acting MVP in "Reflections in a Golden Eye". Marvelous work. And the Gielgud performance I'd have nominated was his supporting turn in "The Loved One". Didn't care for what Orson Welles was doing in "The Long Hot Summer" (although Paul Newman's superb in the picture). But I would have given Welles the Best Actor trophy that same year for his Hank Quinlan in "Touch of Evil"
Hadn't thought of Luciana Paluzzi in "Thunderball". But you're right - she was pretty sensational. One of the best Bond villainesses ever.

Doug MacGregor

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe a little off topic but why don't they say "And the Winner Is" when awarding Oscars like they used to?
You hear media constantly referring to "the Academy award winning film" or" "the Ocsar winning film", not "the film the Oscar went to".
Is there a taboo against winners?
It makes me sad.

Real Name
Eric Bodnar
Julia Phillips, in her book "You'll Never Eat Lunch in This Town Again", seemed to suggest that Robert Shaw's insistence on co-equal billing with his costars (Newman and Redford) hurt his chances of getting a supporting nomination. I would suspect that was his problem with Jaws as well. He should have received a nomination for both.
I also remember talking to my sixth-grade teacher in 1981. He was furious that Donald Sutherland didn't get a nomination for Ordinary People. I never did ask him if he thought he should have got a supporting or lead nomination. I would argue Timothy Hutton should have been considered a lead and Donald a supporting actor. I might have nominated them both in the lead, but the Academy doesn't seem to nominate more than one actor - from the same movie - in the lead category anymore.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Marlon Brando Reflections In A Golden Eye
Sonia Darrin The Big Sleep
Angie Dickinson Dressed To Kill
Faye Dunaway Mommie Dearest
Mia Farrow Rosemary's Baby
Tippi Hedren Marnie
John Gielgud Providence
Charlton Heston Will Penny
Jeremy Irons Dead Ringers
Jennifer Jones Madame Bovary
James Mason Lolita
Marilyn Monroe The Misfits
Luciana Paluzzi Thunderball
Anthony Perkins Psycho
Debbie Reynolds Catered Affair
Donald Sutherland Ordinary People
Liv Ullmann Shame
Jessica Walter Play Misty For Me
John Wayne The Searchers
Tuesday Weld Pretty Poison
Orson Welles Long Hot Summer
Richard Widmark Night And The City
Jane Wyman All That Heaven Allows
At least two of these I would think would top every list of all-time Oscar snubs:

Anthony Perkins in Psycho and Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
At least two of these I would think would top every list of all-time Oscar snubs:

Anthony Perkins in Psycho and Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby.
With the exception of Fredric March in Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde (1931), the Academy pretty much overlooked horror films until The Exorcist (1973). Psycho is the exception (Hitchcock and Janet Leigh got Oscar noms but not Perkins) but I suspect if the director credit read "directed by Samuel Fuller" or "directed by Nicholas Ray" instead of directed by Alfred Hitchcock, the Academy would have dismissed the film entirely.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Many good choices here, I would like to add one who is not an actor, but a composer, and he has actually been nominated, 15 times in fact, but not a single win.
When is it time for Thomas Newman to be properly awarded?

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Talking about composers, I submit James Newton Howard's score for Alive (1993) as one that should have been nominated.

JNH has been nom'd 9 times for an Oscar, but never won.

derekbd

Grip
Real Name
Derek
Talking about composers, I submit James Newton Howard's score for Alive (1993) as one that should have been nominated.

JNH has been nom'd 9 times for an Oscar, but never won.
I adore that film but I've not seen it in over a decade. This prompts me to source it and pay close attention to the score. Cheers!

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
Kirk Douglas Spartacus
James Mason Lolita
James Mason A Star Is Born
Lon Chaney Jr. Of Mice and Men
John Wayne The Searchers
Robin Wright Forrest Gump
Alfred Hitchcock Vertigo

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Kirk Douglas Spartacus
James Mason Lolita
James Mason A Star Is Born
Lon Chaney Jr. Of Mice and Men
John Wayne The Searchers
Robin Wright Forrest Gump
Alfred Hitchcock Vertigo
James Mason was nominated for the Oscar for A Star Is Born and won the Golden Globe for it!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I would put forth Christian Bale for really any of his Batman movies. His work always tended to get overshadowed because people would talk about the villains more, but those movies wouldn't work as well without him. He is able to get us to invest emotionally with Bruce, and you really see the toll that it takes on him to fight these people. Of course, somebody like Heath Ledger gets to be a lot more showy, and we all know Ledger was amazing. But if you didn't have Bale there as his counterpoint, the movie wouldn't be nearly as investible. It really took both of them to make that movie great, and I don't think Bale gets as much credit as he deserves for anchoring that trilogy.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Apologies if already mentioned, but an easy one for me is Kurtwood Smith in Robocop. Played Boddiker to such perfection that i can’t imagine anyone could have done it better. And now that I think of it, Peter Weller too. Guy had to spend half the movie effectively balancing robotic coldness and human emotion with only the bottom half of his face

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Apologies if already mentioned, but an easy one for me is Kurtwood Smith in Robocop. Played Boddiker to such perfection that i can’t imagine anyone could have done it better. And now that I think of it, Peter Weller too. Guy had to spend half the movie effectively balancing robotic coldness and human emotion emotion with only the bottom half of his face
Yes Kurtwood played a cold-blooded villain to perfection.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Another one that of course IRL would never be considered oscar worthy but Christopher MacDonald in Happy Gilmore. Another example of a role played to such perfection that you couldn’t picture anyone doing it better

Some other ones off the top of my head

Walton Goggins for The Hateful Eight
John Candy for Planes Trains and Automobiles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks