What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Official 2016 Oscar Nominations and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
benbess said:
Best Director
The Big Short
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

In this group, I hope Tom McCarthy wins for Spotlight. There was an economy and and an honesty to his direction that nonetheless slowly built characters and real drama. I do think Spielberg, R. Scott, Tom Hooper and maybe some others should have been nominated as well, but I'd be very happy if Spotlight took this one, and I think it has a good chance.
I think Inarritu has the best chance tied with Miller. McCarthy is probably third.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'll be seeing Spotlight and Brooklyn this week. The Room if it ever opens near me.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Looking at his filmography over at IMDb he certainly has directed a number of great films..along with some not so much. But in terms of being overrated I'm not sure he would make my top 10. I'd have to think about that. But of course being overrated is completely subjective.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tino said:
Looking at his filmography over at IMDb he certainly has directed a number of great films..along with some not so much. But in terms of being overrated I'm not sure he would make my top 10. I'd have to think about that. But of course being overrated is completely subjective.
Top ten, even I wouldn't suggest that, but has anybody else?

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Robert Crawford said:
Top ten, even I wouldn't suggest that, but has anybody else?
No. I was just thinking if he would make mine.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
Tino said:
Top 10 directors or top 10 overrated? current or all time?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven is one of the best epic films I've ever seen. I love Ridley Scott. His average film is normally better than average...Body of Lies, American Gangster. Those would be career best for most other directors.

He has a few duds (visually interesting duds), but his batting average is pretty great.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Admittedly somewhat off topic, but here are my back of the envelope grades for Ridley Scott's films. He has very few duds imho.

The Duellists: B

Alien DC: A+

Blade Runner DC: A

Legend DC: C

Someone to Watch Over Me: Haven't seen it

Black Rain: B+

Thelma and Louise: A-

1492: B

White Squall: A-

G.I. Jane: B+

Gladiator DC: A

Hannibal: Haven't seen it

Black Hawk Down: A-

Matchstick Men: Haven't seen it

Kingdom of Heaven DC: A+

A Good Year: Haven't Seen it

American Gangster: B-

Body of Lies: B+

Robin Hood DC: A-

Prometheus: C

The Counselor DC: A-

Exodus: A- (Still hoping for a DC here)

The Martian: A+

So to me his only two real failures have been Legend and Prometheus. I didn't care for American Gangster, but that was probably because of the subject matter. Seems to me like he has ten strong epic films here with an impressive range of subjects, settings and characters.

The Martian is maybe a career high to match the first Alien and the DC of Kingdom of Heaven, and given his neglect up to this point from the Academy I hope it wins Best Picture.

Gladiator, of course, won Best Picture back in 2000.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
TravisR said:
It took a few viewings but I now see why people love Blade Runner as much as they do.
To me it's visually impressive with great mood and music. But the pacing is deadly slow and hurts the film imo.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Tino said:
To me it's visually impressive with great mood and music. But the pacing is deadly slow and hurts the film imo.
It is slow at times. Maybe too slow. But so are the mysteries it's trying to unfold. And I prefer a slow movie to many movies today that keep up endless action but don't build up much in the way of mysteries or real meaning.

Ryan's Daughter is slow as well. As is Dr. Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge of the River Kwai....Really most really great movies that I care for a lot.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I get that. I saw Blade Runner opening day and my opinion has never changed. Slow then and slow now. But I can appreciate its classic status and wish I liked it more.

Speaking of Ridley, I just finished rewatching The Martian and enjoyed it more on my second viewing. I had read the book so my first viewing was "spoiled" since I knew everything that was gonna happen. I was able to appreciate it more this time around. And Damon's performance too. Too bad it probably won't win any Oscars.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Yesterday my wife and I saw ROOM; BROOKLYN; and CREED. Today we saw CAROL. Tomorrow we plan on seeing THE DANISH GIRL, followed by BUTCH CASSIDY..., and the rebroadcast of the MET's THE PEARL FISHERS. With that taken care of, we'll have only one film remaining from all of the major categories that we need to see: 45 YEARS. We'll probably see SON OF SAUL on Monday, since it opens this weekend.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just saw Spotlight. I thought it was a good movie however nothing extraordinary. Mark Ruffalo was great. Of all the BP nominees I've seen so far, it is the weakest. Still have to see Brooklyn and Room next week. Would have been very happy if Creed had taken its spot. I would give it ⭐⭐⭐️Out of ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
After seeing Spotlight, the only Oscar I think it has a chance at getting is Original Screenplay. And it's up against Ex Machina and Inside Out. It may go home empty handed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks