What's new

NOTHING FROM FOX after THE ROBE? (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
Fox has become my favorite studio, but after the ballsiest release in the history of dvds (the Fox/Murneau/Borzage Collection), we've heard no classic announcements other than THE ROBE. No Noir, Westerns, Musicals, War movies,Alice Faye, Betty Grable, the Ritz Bros, A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN, STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER. Anyone out there have any info on what's up?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This may be part of an economic trend among all studios. DVD sales are generally down, and probably catalog titles make up the largest chunk of that loss, so they may be inclined to pull back on classic titles. I wish this hadn't happened before Universal got out FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO, CAT AND THE CANARY, THE UNINVITED, ISLAND OF LOST SOULS among others. Sony/MGM's
Midnight Movies need to continue in some form, so that we may very belatedly have access to BURN WITCH BURN, BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW, TWINS OF EVIL, QUATERMASS EXPERMINT, and a bunch of others, though that prospect seems dimmer by the day. I am not too worried about the Paramount stuff, as not only the namesake studio but Criterion and (I hope)
Legend are getting that stuff out slowly but surely. Columbia still has some unreleased goodies, such as GOOD NEIGHBOR SAM, WHO'S MINDING THE MINT and others. There isn't a whole lot left of titles I want from Fox, but A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN is certain one of them. Disney has a pile of live-action stuff they have never put on DVD, including WILD COUNTRY, SONG OF THE SOUTH, and more, plus a slew of titles they screwed up by releasing as pan-and-scan travesties (JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN, SHIPWRECKED, SON OF FLUBBER, WHITE FANG, etc. etc.) But my fear is that many if not most of these titles will remain untapped due to the rush to release product that is "safe" for higher sales. Risks will not be taken by them any more than everyday ones are being taken by most of us until this economy picks up, if it ever does.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I was hoping that Fox would release Destination: Gobi and Armored Command on dvd.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I waiting for THE EGYPTIAN. There was a fine laserdisc so I'm very surprised that a dvd has not been produced.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I believe I read that FOX has plans to release the uber-rare John Wayne films THREE GIRLS LOST & GIRLS DEMAND EXCITEMENT (both from made in 1931) as a double-bill sometime this year.

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore
I hope Fox is nowhere near done with its classics!

A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN is definitely the most glaring omission, but more Grable, Faye and Power (I'm particularly eager to see YOU CAN'T HAVE EVERTHING; SALLY, IRENE AND MARY; TIN PAN ALLEY; FOOTLIGHT SERENADE; CONEY ISLAND; THE SHOCKING MISS PILGRIM; LADIES IN LOVE; LLOYD'S OF LONDON; SUEZ) sets are important (at least to me), and there are a lot of other interesting things (that did get VHS releases) like STORY OF ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL, WILSON, IT HAPPENS EVERY SPRING...and, call me crazy, but I think Sonja Henie belongs on DVD too (especially SECOND FIDDLE and SUN VALLEY SERENADE!)

I'm probably forgetting a lot of other stuff too (and let's not even start with rare wonders like SIX HOURS TO LIVE--1932!)

clearly, Fox can sell me a lot of stuff!

Coopsgirl_31

Agent
Real Name
Angie
I'm hopeful they'll put out the two movie Clara Bow made for them, Call Her Savage (1932) and Hoopla! (1933). Those were her last two films and they could package them together in one release. She is sadly underrepresented on dvd and this would be great to have.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
All I can say is my Fox wish list is pretty huge!

I'm still waiting for another Betty Grable set! The first set came out in 2006! I bought the set as a blind buy and I wasn't even wild about Grable at first but after watching all those movies it made me a fan!

I'm always up for more musicals including Alice Faye! I'm really hoping Tin Pan Alley makes the next set!

Maybe with the release of It's a Date Fox will get on board with their Sonja Henie movies?

Two titles from Fox I am anxious to see on DVD are Tales of Manhattan and Woman's World!

I also welcome more Tyrone Power, Linda Darnell, Gene Tierney on DVD as well!

Charles H

Screenwriter
I would assume that MAN HUNT will be released to coincide with the dvd release of VALKYRIE. They might want to revisit THE DESERT FOX with an audio commentary since it deals with the same events. And NIGHT OF THE GENERALS would be nice to have out around that time.

Another Oscar night with the 1933 Best Picture CAVALCADE still MIA? And what about TALES OF MANHATTAN? What's not to love about Rita Hayworth, Charles Boyer, Ginger Rogers, Henry Fonda, Cesar Romero, George Sanders, James Gleason, Edward G. Robinson, Thomas Mitchell, Elsa Lanchester, Paul Robeson, Ethel Waters,Rochester, W.C. Fields, Phil Silvers, Gail Patrick, and Margaret Dumont?

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
My Fox wish list is pretty huge too, especially in terms of musicals:

Margie (46)
Sonja Henie musicals (especially Sun Valley Serenade, which has been available in R2 for a couple of years already)
More Grable and Faye musicals
More Tyrone Power
My Gal Sal (42)
Centennial Summer (46)
The Best Things In Life Are Free (56)
You Were Meant for Me (48)
Ramona (36)
More noir
More Mitzi Gaynor and June Haver musicals

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
There's is masses of material buried in the Fox archives. I'd like The Foxes Of Harrow (Rex Harrison, inappropriate British accent notwithstanding, is brilliant!), A Certain Smile, Inferno, The Best Things In Life Are Free and The Sweet Ride.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
As mentioned above, with the economy in tatters, the head honchos have probably paused all new projects to see how things go. I doubt they will stop releasing classic titles, they just might do it at a slower pace (ie. so they can use less staff and thus save money).

The same will doubtless be happening to creating new films as well.

On the plus side - look at it as a time to pick up those DVDs you never got round to buying when they first came out.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
But don't they work years in advance? Warner says they release things that they may of started working on 18 or 24 months previous. So doesn't that mean the corporations need to keep working on things now that they will release 1 or 2 years from now, when the economy is starting to recover?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
David Lambert, on another thread, posted a link to this news that appeared in the Hollywood Reporter:

The full article can be read at this link. In the "comments" section at the end there is a post from "HTF"
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston

I don't know about WB in particular, but the usual timeframe between end of production and street date is in the area of six months.

A lot of people are being laid off at every studio, and this is the tip of the iceberg. Leisure industries are always the first ones hit. Don't expect things to pick up quite so quickly.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I love Fox releases, and I have no inside knowledge at all, but if I were to guess I would think the releases planned or already in production will most likely be shifted toward the fall for the holiday season. The days of getting deluxe versions of films like CAPRICE are gone for the foreseeable future, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks