What's new

Fox Cinema Archives Debuts 18 New Classic Films on DVD starting March 18! (1 Viewer)

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
According to a reviewer at Amazon, the print of THE GIFT OF LOVE is horrible, akin to a dupe.. Sales for the LBX Spanish dvd should skyrocket. It seems that Fox is going out of their way to kill off interest in their catalog titles. The remnant who like them will be too wary to purchase any and stick with their (better) prints recorded from cable TV or bought from other countries. Has anyone seen the print/transfer utilized for PRINCE OF PLAYERS? With every 2.55:1 shot cropped to 1.33:1, the purchaser is effectively buying about 50% of the photographic images shot. Professional cinematography looks like amateur footage when altered to a lesser ratio. The extra edits and pans completely alters the flow and rhythm intended by the director, who in this case was also the screenwriter.(Philip Dunne).
For those who may not know, this is one of the few films in which Maggie McNamara appeared. She made an Oscar-nominated screen debut in the Production-code defying comedy THE MOON IS BLUE in 1953. She was then co-starred with Jean Peters and Dorothy McGuire in the highly successful travelogue rom-com 3 COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN (released in anamorphic 2.55:1 on dvd in the 'golden' pre-Archive days when Fox cared). She has some good moments in PRINCE, but her limitations show in the 'Romeo and Juliet' sequence when she is reading Shakespeare alongside Burton.( Most young actresses, inc.Olivia Hussey would have suffered in the same way in that scenario) The box office failure of the film no doubt hurt her career. Otto Preminger gave her a small role eight years later in THE CARDINAL (infamous for the horrendous treatment Preminger subjected Tom Tryon to which caused him to leave the acting profession soon afterwards, though not before coming back for more of the same in the aptly titled IN HARM'S WAY). Tragically, Maggie took her own life in the late '70's, reportedly depressed over how her career had failed. Good to have one more of her roles available to the public again- bad that it is via a severely flawed transfer.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
According to a reviewer at Amazon, the print of THE GIFT OF LOVE is horrible, akin to a dupe.. Sales for the LBX Spanish dvd should skyrocket. It seems that Fox is going out of their way to kill off interest in their catalog titles. The remnant who like them will be too wary to purchase any and stick with their (better) prints recorded from cable TV or bought from other countries. Has anyone seen the print/transfer utilized for PRINCE OF PLAYERS? With every 2.55:1 shot cropped to 1.33:1, the purchaser is effectively buying about 50% of the photographic images shot. Professional cinematography looks like amateur footage when altered to a lesser ratio. The extra edits and pans completely alters the flow and rhythm intended by the director, who in this case was also the screenwriter.(Philip Dunne).
.For those who may not know, this is one of the few films in which Maggie McNamara appeared. She made an Oscar-nominated screen debut in the Production-code defying comedy THE MOON IS BLUE in 1953. She was then co-starred with Jean Peters and Dorothy McGuire in the highly successful travelogue rom-com 3 COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN (released in anamorphic 2.55:1 on dvd in the 'golden' pre-Archive days when Fox cared). She has some good moments in PRINCE, but her limitations show in the 'Romeo and Juliet' sequence when she is reading Shakespeare alongside Burton.( Most young actresses, inc.Olivia Hussey would have suffered in the same way in that scenario) The box office failure of the film no doubt hurt her career. Otto Preminger gave her a small role eight years later in THE CARDINAL (infamous for the horrendous treatment Preminger subjected Tom Tryon to which caused him to leave the acting profession soon afterwards, though not before coming back for more of the same in the aptly titled IN HARM'S WAY). Tragically, Maggie took her own life in the early '70's, reportedly depressed over how her career had failed. Good to have one more of her roles available to the public again- bad that it is via a severely flawed transfer.

Lionel, thanks for that.

I didn't know Maggie McNamara took her own life, although that's probably because she never much interested me. (I feel she's the weak link in Three Coins In The Fountain. I much prefer Pamela Tiffin's performance in the remake) I always find it horrifying when actresses take their own life. I remember being really appalled when I learned that Gia Scala, whom I like a lot, did just that.

I hope that Fox will weave their magic on Three Coins In The Fountain and produce a superb high definition master that Twilight Time can use for a Blu-ray disc.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Or, THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN will be released as a P&S MOD by the Fox Movie Archives, In that case, the title should be changed to ONE COIN IN THE FOUNTAIN, because the other two coins will be panned-and-scanned out of sight!

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Picked up BLUE DENIM on a recent USA trip. Very nice transfer.. A pity it is the unexpected rarity rather than the norm from this studio. By the way, the trailer for this movie is fascinating and unintenionally hilarious. It is hosted by Joan Crawford-obviously on a break from shooting THE BEST OF EVERYTHING- in her best 'concerned high profile actress over controversial issue' manner. Considering her well documented promiscuous lifestyle and apparent failure as a mother of at least one troubled teen, it comes across as a parody. As entertaining as the movie itself.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Here is an interesting Fox B- Picture dealing with the early days of the Vietnam war, reduced to 'unwatchable status' via the horrendous (and very dated) Pan-and-Scan process. (Geared for TVs which have been outmoded for about 10 years now)

FiveGatestoHell.jpg

Dolores Michaels became a nun not long after this film was made. Patricia Owens had a featured role in a classic British comedy called THE HAPPIEST DAYS OF YOUR LIFE with Margaret Rutherford and Alastair Sim and a thankless role (which she performed admirably) in SAYONARA as Marlon Brando's rejected fiancee. (Avoid the terrible Spanish blu ray, which looks like a VHS tape).. She was also good in NO DOWN PAYMENT, with other young Fox contract players of the late '50.s (inc. Joanne Woodward), which has been shown cropped at 1.85:1 in HD on cable (and will no doubt be cropped even further when Fox Archives gets around to releasing it). Other cast members of interest include Nancy Kulp (Jane Hathaway in THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES) and Benson Fong (a staple Asian performer in Hollywood for decades whose standout role was probably in FLOWER DRUM SONG soon after this).and method actress Shirley (SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH) Knight, in an early role. Caucasian Neville Brand portrays the Vietnamese villain, a casting decision not uncommon for the period (think Mickey Rooney in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S and Mike Mazurki in Ford's 7 WOMEN). It is based on a novel by James Clavell, who became famous via later works such as SHOGUN. Originally shot in 2.35:1 CinemaScope in black and white.
By the way, where is the 1960 rarity CRACK IN THE MIRROR with Orson Welles, Bradford Dillman and Juliette Greco in dual roles/narratives directed by Richard Fleischer? A black and white CinemaScope movie which has all but disappeared and has much going for it. Even a Pan-and-Scan Archives release would be better than nothing.....

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Dolores Michaels became a nun not long after this film was made.

No, she didn't. She went on to make 2 more movies and 5 guest appearances on shows like Perry Mason and Route 66 before retiring in 1963. She died in 2001 at the age of 68. I suspect you're confusing her with actress Dolores Hart.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Just as a matter of curiosity, has ANYONE from the Fox Cinema Archives ever explained why they
keep putting out pan-and-scan copies of their Cinemascope classics? This has to be one of the
most anti-customer companies around. (To be fair, I do understand that, if one buys over $100
worth of their DVDrs, they'll include both a buggy whip AND an abacus.)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Just as a matter of curiosity, has ANYONE from the Fox Cinema Archives ever explained why they
keep putting out pan-and-scan copies of their Cinemascope classics? This has to be one of the
most anti-customer companies around. (To be fair, I do understand that, if one buys over $100
worth of their DVDrs, they'll include both a buggy whip AND an abacus.)
It's no different on their FXM cable channel. They have a block where they show "classics from their library", usually 50's and 60's stuff. Looks godawful, pan and scan and colors all over the place. Looks like something I saw on my local tv station circa 1977.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
"Three Coins in the Fountain", for me, has always belonged to Jean Peters. She is utterly radiant in that movie.

Jean Peters was an all time favourite of mine. She was unforgettable in A MAN CALLED PETER. Why hasn't Fox released this masterpiece on bluray? I have never forgotten the film's finale since I first saw it back in the fifties.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Picked up BLUE DENIM on a recent USA trip. Very nice transfer.. A pity it is the unexpected rarity rather than the norm from this studio. By the way, the trailer for this movie is fascinating and unintenionally hilarious. It is hosted by Joan Crawford-obviously on a break from shooting THE BEST OF EVERYTHING- in her best 'concerned high profile actress over controversial issue' manner. Considering her well documented promiscuous lifestyle and apparent failure as a mother of at least one troubled teen, it comes across as a parody. As entertaining as the movie itself.

BLUE DENIM was also released as BLUE JEANS in several English speaking countries.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
024543294887.jpg

This one escaped my notice. I have not seen it and as reportedly it is yet another Pan/Scan atrocity, I am not likely to see it via this transfer. One -disappointed- Amazon buyer describes it as a "low rent 'WAGES OF FEAR'". Nonetheless, if it was a CinemaScope transfer, I'd be interested to see it. Irwin Shaw wrote the screenplay. Other people of interest involved include Dame Sybil Thorndike, director Richard Fleischer and composer Maurice Jarre. It was shot in Ireland so Stephen Boyd was able to utilize his native accent for a change.
Things are not looking good regarding OAR releases of THE NAKED EARTH (shot in Africa- Zanuck must have liked going there with her, as THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN was shot there too) and CRACK IN THE MIRROR, unless Twilight Time can show some interest in them.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
024543294887.jpg

This one escaped my notice. I have not seen it and as reportedly it is yet another Pan/Scan atrocity, I am not likely to see it via this transfer. One -disappointed- Amazon buyer describes it as a "low rent 'WAGES OF FEAR'". Nonetheless, if it was a CinemaScope transfer, I'd be interested to see it. Irwin Shaw wrote the screenplay. Other people of interest involved include Dame Sybil Thorndike, director Richard Fleischer and composer Maurice Jarre. It was shot in Ireland so Stephen Boyd was able to utilize his native accent for a change.
Things are not looking good regarding OAR releases of THE NAKED EARTH (shot in Africa- Zanuck must have liked going there with her, as THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN was shot there too) and CRACK IN THE MIRROR, unless Twilight Time can show some interest in them.

I'd have bought this disc if it had presented the film correctly. I saw The Big Gamble when it first came out and I was in my teens. I'd love to see it again, but properly, not in a pan-and-scan debasement of the film.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
s-l500.jpg

71gwg-1jcrL._SL1042_.jpg

91tOyaMsoLL._SL1500_.jpg

Fans of Fox classics will be happy to learn that the above 3 titles (A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN, MAN ON A TIGHTROPE and SITTING PRETTY) have been released in Spain. The first two Kazan titles can be bought in an expensive set in the USA. These probably do not have the extras, but are a cheaper way of getting the movies, which are undoubtedly taken from the same master. SITTING PRETTY has only come out as a Fox Archive dvd in the US. I'm sure this HD transfer would be superior. They are reportedly 'Region B', but at times Spanish blu rays turn out to be Region free. (TREE isn't available from Amazon.es but Ebay sellers offer it). Other Spanish releases of interest are MISTER ROBERTS (listed as mono but this could be incorrect), EXPERIMENT IN TERROR and THE SHANGHAI STORY (wide screen, Ruth Roman). Musical buffs will be happy to learn that SWEET CHARITY has been released on blu ray in France.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Until they are proved legitimate releases, I will assume they are just more notorious bootlegs from Spain. I don't see the Fox logo anywhere on the covers, a telling sign.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Until they are proved legitimate releases, I will assume they are just more notorious bootlegs from Spain. I don't see the Fox logo anywhere on the covers, a telling sign.

I will agree with you, but they are damn good looking covers.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Any idea why Fox doesn't mention in their press releases which of the DVDs are pan and scan? It would save us all a lot of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks