1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Fox Cinema Archives Debuts 18 New Classic Films on DVD starting March 18!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 13, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Because that will invite a storm of criticism and contempt! :)

2. Jimbo64

Jimbo64 Second Unit

Jim Potter
    Then they shouldn't use the original poster art advertising CinemaScope

3. paul pisano

paul pisano Stunt Coordinator

paul pisano
    maybe they get there source material from vhs tapes. when dvd was in its infancy some of the releases were from vhs. we are still waiting for certain films that are supposed to be in widescreen to be released that way. when sharky's machine was first released by warner it was full screen. i am wondering if the blu is widescreen. sorry to go off topic.

4. 564 Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    PODER

PODER Supporting Actor

PETER JABLONSKI
    Given the quality of so many Fox Cinema Archive releases, it would appear that their source material is not only old VHS tapes, but old VHS tapes discarded by Blockbuster after too many viewings. It's an on-going disgrace that Fox seems to have such utter disdain for its library of classic films. Sadly, though, disrespecting both their customers and their own history seems to be Fox's actual intent. Who knows why.

5. 565 Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    lionel59

lionel59 Supporting Actor

Michael Robert Lionel Evans
    The Classicflix website usually lets buyers know what ratio the Fox Archives dvd-roms will be presented in. Reviewers on Amazon will often describe the ratio too, sometimes in emotive language!
    I have received the Spanish blu ray pressings of A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN and MAN ON A TIGHTROPE. They look terrific. Neither have the extra features which accompany the ones in the Kazan sets, but I'm sure they are taken from the same masters. BROOKLYN is particularly outstanding.
    The Spanish blu ray of GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER has all of the features of the 2-disc Special Edition. If the TT release has another commentary track added, then that is the one feature missing.
    THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS looks great on the Spanish blu ray too. However AVOID 'SAYONARA" (very soft, like a VHS tape) and 'KINGS ROW' (inexplicably cropped to 1.85:1 and stretched to boot. A travesty of James Wong Howe's brilliant Academy ratio cinematography (which should have won the Oscar that year, as indeed should the film in my opinion. ) We'll have to wait for Warner Archoves to do it properly. A wasted opportunity!

6. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Are any of them legitimate or are they all bootlegs?

Robin9 likes this.
  7. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    My apologies in advance for my ignorance on this issue, but are all Fox Cinema Archives released as DVD-Rs or are any of them released initially as pressed discs and then switch to DVD-Rs? The reason I ask is that I am considering buying Princess of the Nile and some Ebay listings describe it as DVD-R and some listings describe it as DVD.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

8. borisfw

borisfw Screenwriter

Frank
    All the title's I've bought from the fox mod program have been dvd-r .

Darby67 likes this.
  9. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

"Princess of the Nile" is a fun little film, almost reminiscent of the old Montez/Hall films of Universal. The Fox DVD-mod isn't bad. Better than a lot of their other 50s color releases. Indeed, I tend to usually avoid a lot of their 50s-era releases, due to a lot of reasons often stated on this thread. I'm more apt to give a shot to the older, black-and-white offerings that Fox serves up.

Robin9 and Darby67 like this.
  10. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Thanks for the confirmation, Frank.

11. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Bert:

Thanks for your recommendation. I recently purchased The Tiger of Eschnapur and the Indian Tomb on Ebay which led me, of course, to Princess of the Nile which I really would like to purchase. And yes, to state the obvious, the common theme Is Debra Paget :D.

Jack K likes this.
  12. 572 Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Anyone know what's going on with Fox's Cinema Archives program ? I just bought 2 Clifton Webb Blu-ray discs from Amazon, and I would love to be able to buy other films . Any idea if the program is still ongoing ?

Tony Bensley likes this.
  13. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

Nothing new there since last March. The Warner Archive is the only ongoing MOD program.

14. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    That's close to a year. That's too bad . The Blu-rays I've gotten from them have been excellent . Sony's program seems to be inactive as well. I was hoping for some classic TV from them. This gets back to what many have said on this site : if the major studios don't want to release their catalogs , they should think about licensing them out to companies like Mill Creek, Amazon , Timeless, etc.

LeoA likes this.
  15. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I just realized that CBS just released The Californians , a 1958 Western , so their program is still active .