What's new

Nine Queens. What did you think of the ending? (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I rented this film once, but it just would not play on my regular player. I was finally able to see the film using my laptop.

I was quite surprised by this film. First, for a crime film it had a violence quotient of almost zero. Secondly, the ending really came out of left field. I normally never feel surprised by an ending, but the ending of this film definitely caught me out.

The ending was so surprising I laughed at just how clever the filmmakers were in not telegraphing clues. In some respects the ending was so unexpected a person actually got the feeling that somehow a person had missed part of the story. It literally left a person with a WTF??!! feeling. The ending impressed me because of the unexpected resolution.

On the other hand, I had a fleeting feeling of being unfairly snookered. The lack of foreshadowing gave the ending somewhat of a tacked on feeling: like it was done just to be clever.

So I was wondering what other people thought of the ending? Clever or a cheat? I thought it was a little of both.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was very clever, not much of a cheat at all. I've only seen it once, so I think a good test of this would be to watch it again with a close look-out for any foreshadowing and/or cheating.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, the only place I can think of any foreshadowing occurring is during a kissing scene, but within the context of the story even that scene wouldn't have been sufficient to raise any awareness as to the ending. Unfortunately, I have to return the film, so I won't be able to watch it again.

All in all, it was a very good film. I was caught out so much by the ending I just had to laugh. The actor playing the younger "con artist" did an excellent job. His performance was key to the success of the film.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Then again, do you really want much foreshadowing in a movie like this? The whole point of a twist ending is that you don't see it coming. If you're sufficiently into the story and the characters that it feels like a pleasing explanation, like in this movie, then I think that's good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks