What's new

The most disappointing films you have ever watched in a theater. (2 Viewers)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I walked out of both of Rob Zombie's Halloweens. I thought they were terrible. Another one comes to mind is Dick Tracy.

I guess again it begs the question why did you got the theater for the second one if you walked out of the first

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Though I'll always regret that Fincher wasn't allowed to do what he wanted to do with "A3". Dunno if the movie really would've been a lot better but still...!

What’s basically Fincher’s last cut before the film was taken away from him is on the various disc versions that have come out in the past couple decades so you can see more or less what he would have done. It’s different but not necessarily better.

Am I the only person alive who didn't feel disappointed that "Empire" lacked a neat 'n' tidy ending?

Definitely not. I’m good with that ending. It is actually an ending that wraps up the biggest story points of the film. There are more or less three different storylines running through the film that converge at the end:

-Vadar is on a desperate hunt for the rebels, specifically Luke.

-The Millennium Falcon group of rebels are trying to escape Vadar and the Empire.

-Luke wants to learn more about the force so that he can fight Vadar and the Empire.

And by the time the movie ends, those three storylines are wrapped. Luke has learned more about the force and gets a chance to come face to face with Vadar. Vadar catches up with Luke and has the confrontation he wanted. And the Millennium Falcon group escapes the Empire.

The ending doesn’t wrap up the entire story of the Star Wars universe but all of the major characters face the specific obstacles they set out to overcome at the film’s beginning. It simply doesn’t work out for any of them the way they hoped.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
What’s basically Fincher’s last cut before the film was taken away from him is on the various disc versions that have come out in the past couple decades so you can see more or less what he would have done. It’s different but not necessarily better.

Definitely not. I’m good with that ending. It is actually an ending that wraps up the biggest story points of the film. There are more or less three different storylines running through the film that converge at the end:

-The Millennium Falcon group of rebels are trying to escape Vadar and the Empire.

-Luke wants to learn more about the force so that he can fight Vadar and the Empire.

And by the time the movie ends, those three storylines are wrapped. Luke has learned more about the force and gets a chance to come face to face with Vadar. Vadar catches up with Luke and has the confrontation he wanted. And the Millennium Falcon group escapes the Empire.

The ending doesn’t wrap up the entire story of the Star Wars universe but all of the major characters face the specific obstacles they set out to overcome at the film’s beginning. It simply doesn’t work out for any of them the way they hoped.

Who’s this Vadar guy?

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Trog with Joan Crawford, but it does have the slight feel of a Hammer production. Love it when she's calling him, "Come on Trog"

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
I guess again it begs the question why did you got the theater for the second one if you walked out of the first
I, along with our booker needed to screen movies before they were released to theatres to determine if we were going to book the movie in our 11 theatres. Didn't know if the second was bad as the first one......it was IMO. We didn't play either title.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
The Kidnapping of The President with Hal Holbrook. I ran a filler called Gone With The Wind leading up to Christmas and selling out both shows daily/nightly. Our booker was charging 250.00 flat fee and 35% of the gross. Tried to convince my boss that we should keep GWTW. He said we already had a solid booking for this thing and ended up running two or three weeks with a lot of no shows.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only person alive who didn't feel disappointed that "Empire" lacked a neat 'n' tidy ending?

I mean, when I saw it in 1980, I didn't even think of it as a cliffhanger, honestly.

I get it. I get that it leaves threads wholly unresolved.

But I still felt satisfied, and at least in my experiences, so did everyone else.

When I saw "BTTF2" in 1989 - and the new Spidey last week - people loudly groaned at the non-endings.

People applauded at the end of "ESB"!

Sure, we were eager to see where things would go, but I just don't think there was a sense of anger/frustration.
ESB was kind of a letdown to some people, but to go totally dark, and grim---think of the Star Wars fanatics that died between ESB and ROTJ. To them the dark side/evil won.

The end.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I, along with our booker needed to screen movies before they were released to theatres to determine if we were going to book the movie in our 11 theatres. Didn't know if the second was bad as the first one......it was IMO. We didn't play either title.

Ah

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah the thing about ESB is at least it feels like it told a complete story unlike Matrix Reloaded, Dead Man's Chest, or Across The Spiderverse. Now if you want REALLY BAD anticlimaxes, Dune Pt. 1 didn't have an ending. It just...stopped.

Honestly, I'm fine with "non-endings" when we know in advance that's how the movie will wrap.

And we've gotten accustomed to "non-endings" as well in a way we weren't in 1989.

When I saw "BTTF2" in 1989, I knew a 3rd film would be out 6 months later, but I still expected something self-contained.

Because I was aware all the movies you mentioned wouldn't have traditional endings, I was fine with them.

I do agree that "ESB" really did feel like a satisfying "complete story", even with the hanging threads.

"Star Wars" left us curious as well. What would happen to Vader? Where would the Rebellion go from there? Would Luke and Leia become a couple or would Han horn in? Etc.

Admittedly, these didn't leave us hanging nearly as much as the finish of "ESB" did, but as mentioned, I don't recall "outrage" over the ending of "ESB" 43 years ago.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I get that they've approximated Fincher's version, but I still think it's possible the movie would've been different if he got the chance to truly finish it.

Maybe not, and maybe it wouldn't be better. It still feels incomplete, though.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

It's Vader. I know we're not supposed to correct spelling, but yer killin' me with the "Vadar"! :D
Yer

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
ESB was kind of a letdown to some people, but to go totally dark, and grim---think of the Star Wars fanatics that died between ESB and ROTJ. To them the dark side/evil won.

"ESB" wasn't "totally dark and grim". Even the ending seems optimistic.

Real Name
Rolf Skrinde
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. After the brilliance of Raiders, I eagerly awaited the sequel. I sat there slack-jawed in horror. The playful, dynamic action of the original was now a frenetic frenzy. The breezy charm and humor was gone, replaced by sheer loudness and obnoxious crassness. And the brief, clever moments of violence were pushed to a nauseating grotesquery. Every single aspect that I loved in Raiders (too many to mention) had been utterly destroyed.

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. After the brilliance of Raiders, I eagerly awaited the sequel. I sat there slack-jawed in horror. The playful, dynamic action of the original was now a frenetic frenzy. The breezy charm and humor was gone, replaced by sheer loudness and obnoxious crassness. And the brief, clever violent moments were pushed to a nauseating grotesquery. Every single aspect that I loved in Raiders (too many to mention) had been utterly destroyed.
I've never seen Temple in theaters, but it is definitely my least favorite Indy film. Way too much gross out humor.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I am looking at all of the hoopla for the Showgirls release and this is a film that was lengthy, unerotic and a total mess. My screening was set up with the Chief Of Police and the Mayor as well as my friend, who ran the theater a week in advance to actually see if the Mayor and Police Chief would allow the NC-17 film to play in the town Of Hickory NC. Noon rolled around and both of them never showed up. We ran the film ourselves and the film was actually shown with little protest or fanfare and silently bombed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks