What's new

Newbie...Speaker placement question (1 Viewer)

kmbrandon

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
I have a slight problem with setting up my HTiB (Samsung HT-Q70) regarding the location of the speakers. I understand that ideally the front speakers would be at ear height, but that height will not work in my case.

My TV (Samsung HL-S5087W) fits in a nook on the middle of one wall. If facing the TV, the fireplace & surrounding brickwork & mantle take up most of that wall. There is also considerable space between the TV & the wall behind it. Basically, in order to mount all of the front speakers at the same height & depth from the viewing area, I will need to ceiling mount them all. I'm not looking for "the best", just the best solution given my situation. Also, moving the TV is not an option.

1. Assuming I have brackets that allow the speakers to be pointed at the viewing area, does this sound like a suitable plan?

2. What if I mount the center speaker directly over the TV & hang the right/left speakers from the ceiling angled down toward the viewing area? Is that better or worse?

3. Does anyone have a better suggestion?

Thanks,
Kevin

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Kevin. Welcome to HTF! :)

Generally - try and get the tweeters on all front 3 speakers at the same height. This way the sounds wont bounce up/down if effects pan across the speakers.

But if you cannot do this: just angle the center speaker so it is pointing at your ear-height at the primary seating position. (A Laser pen or laser-level is a handy tool for this).

Dont worry about the space behind the speakers. Speakers actually sound better with some room behind them for the back-echo sounds to travel.

Use a SPL meter to adjust the volume to compensate for not having the speakers an equal distance from your primary seat. I'm not intimate with that Samsung HTIB, but read the manual for how to add/remove some volume from just the center speaker.

Use the afore-mentioned laser pen to adjust the angle of the L/R speakers. There are 3 typical ways to do this:

- So the L/R speakers focus 1-2 feet in front of the primary seat
- So the L/R speakers focus exactly on the primary seat
- So the L/R speakers focus 1-2 feet behind the primary seat

You just have to try all 3 and decide what sounds best for your room, speakers and seating distance.

Hope this helps.

kmbrandon

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Thanks for the info. The Samsung HTiB actually does have several settings that appear to compensate for my problem. Each speaker can be adjusted for a delay & I believe volume as well.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks