What's new

Surround Sound newbie - can I mix & match speakers? (1 Viewer)

Kyle Knapp

Auditioning
My son just upgraded his HT system, and persuaded me to take his older Onkyo HT-S6200 7.1 system off his hands.
I've never had a surround system before, and previously have been pretty happy with my old stereo (plus subwoofer). I'm very pleased with the HT-R670 reciever, easy to set up, and makes it easy to control all my components.

I'm experimenting now with speaker setup, So far I've set up only the 2 front speakers + center speaker + sub, and I'm hoping to get some advice before I go much further.

First off, I'm disappointed with the sound coming from the SK?-670 speakers (all 7 speakers are identical I think, except for the 3rd digit of the model number, which seem to correspond to placement). I did an A-B comparison with my old Sony SS-U201 cabinets, which I've had since the 1980s - the Sonys have a much richer, fuller sound. (The grilles don't come off, so I don't know for sure what's inside them, but from what I can feel through the grille I think they're 3-way, or maybe 2-way with a port, with 8" drivers).

My question is, can I just use my old Sony speakers in place of the Onkyos for front left & right? (possibly important detail: the Sonys are rated 8 ohms/200watts, Onkyos are 6 ohm/130w - I don't fully understand what this means, is it a problem? Does the number of speakers matter - ie, can I get away with using a pair of 8 ohm speakers if I set up as 5.1 instead of 7.1?)

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• 20150316_120111.jpg
    20150316_120111.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 181

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes, use your Sony.

That AVR is compatible with pretty much every speaker made 6ohm and higher, and can safely be used with 4ohm.

6 and 4ohm(and up) represent 95% of home speakers...ever made.

The difference ohm load makes...

The lower the ohm load the less resistance. Think wind in your car. Headwind(higher ohm load) takes more effort for a given speed.

In essence, a lower ohm load simply means more power is created from a given amount of input. Amplifiers can only provide a finite amount of power.

4 ohm simply requires less input.

If you took physics in high school, electrical ohm load is 2nd week stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks