What's new

Can I Improve the Spatial Location in this Bad Room? (1 Viewer)

rkruz3

Auditioning
Real Name
Robin
My 9.2 system is used for 100% movies, and I'm listening to ATMOS demos while focusing on the spatial location corresponding to the video. For example, the ATMOS "Leaf" demo has the sound circling the listener. I get a reasonable sound location behind the listening position, but the front right disappears, and it is weak at the front. The speaker layout is shown in the attached diagram, and the right side of the room is open. I understand it is a terrible Home Theater room and layout, and it will not be possible to change the TV location or add room treatments. It is also not possible to add ceiling height speakers as it's a cathedral ceiling. Of all the Audyssey settings I've tried, setting to Flat made the most significant improvement.
Do you have any suggestions to improve spatial sound accuracy?
I can add two more height speakers, but these would not be able to be mounted on the ceiling.
The system is a Denon AVR-X4500H with seven speakers, two height speakers (heights are above the Left and Right speakers on the wall), and two subs. I calibrated the room with Audyssey.

Attachments

• Audyssey Seating.jpg
    Audyssey Seating.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 53

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ugh! I'd definitely prioritize changing the seating layout, if nothing else. IF you must have the couches(?) arranged more or less that way, at least add a centralized sectional/seat where they currently meet (perpendicularly) for optimal sweetspot seating for at least (that) one person.

Having everyone sitting at such (sharp) angles will never yield particularly good results. I'd suggest widening the angle at which the couches current meet as much as possible to help w/ that.

Also, why isn't your right surround along the wall adjacent to the front setup? Where you have it now should probably be the right rear surround instead (although it's probably still a bit too close to the corner) -- and then, maybe move the left rear surround closer to the current right rear surround's location. And then, you're probably gonna want to aim those various surround speakers perhaps a little (like foot or so) in front of the prime/sweetspot listening location.

Offhand, those changes are what I'd try...

_Man_

rkruz3

Auditioning
Real Name
Robin
thanks for the response. I tried putting the TV on the flat wall, but aesthetically it's awful. The room is visually unbalanced with it on the wall. It feels like walking around with only one shoe on. So the compromise is the sound, I just need to do the best I can with the TV in the corner and live with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks