What's new

Newbie hooking up Plasma to HD cable box (1 Viewer)

rootercycles

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd
All,

I am very new to setting up these systems, and have a question about my current new setup. I was able to set up my 50" plasma to my Comcast HD cable box last year. My family and I have since moved, and we now have Time Warner Cable. THe cable box looks similar, but I cannot get the TV to recognize the hookup. I was told by a source here, that the only hookup I need, is the three line hookup that came with the box (red, green and blue). Do I need a cable tv hookup too? I had a fiberoptic cable before hooked up but was told I didn't need this. What am I missing or doing wrong? I have power to both units and the supplied cable is also hooked up. Thanks for any help!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you want sound, you have to hook up sound, as in the optic cable. The component (red/green/blue) cables don't include sound. Doesn't the HD box have an hdmi output?

I take it your are just using the TV. No receiver or surround system?

rootercycles

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd
No, I am setting up surround sound, but I wanted to make sure the cable box and tv worked. I was able to set it up preliminarily once Time Warner (finally) sent a signal to the box.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
On some cable boxes, all the channels will come out only as standard definition unless you are using an HDMI cable and your TV has HDCP copy protection. If this is the case you may need to ask for a different model of cable box or even switch to another provider.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tennispro786
Recent bookmarks