What's new
World Wide Stereo

Tivo and HD Cable Boxes (Help a Newbie) (1 Viewer)

joeyEND

Auditioning
Newbie here....

Trying to help my Sister decide on some new HT components for the new house she is building.

We've selected an HD Plasma (ViewSonic VPW4255), and a receiver (Denon AVR-2105). Where I'm getting stuck is whether or not she should get HD Cable from Cox. She has a Tivo Series 2 so she would not be able to record HD programming.

The Box COX provides is the Motorola 6200. If she does go with the HD Cable, can we hook up the Tivo to the Analog Video out and send the Component Video outs to the receiver.

I'm also trying to compile a list of the cables she would require to get the job done too.

728x90

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Yes, she can record from the 6200's analog S-video or composite video outputs, and hook the component video to the AVR or straight to the TV. This would allow her to record HD downconverted to HD, and also SD digital channels. The drawback of this is not being able to record anything else while watching HD. Alternately, one can split the cable, record analog channels only on the Tivo, and watch HD/digital channels independently on the cable box.

But if she can get the Motorola 6412 from Cox, she should go that route instead, so that she can record in HD. She can continue to record analog channels on the Tivo.

KarenDB

Auditioning
I solved it by getting two cable boxes from the cable company. One HD box and a regular box for Tivo. I used to have just one box and it was a pain if Tivo decided to record something while I was watching something in HD.

joeyEND

Auditioning
Thanks Karen, I had not thought about that option.... I believe that sounds like the best way to go.... Just worried about my Sister, she's not the most technically savvy individual.... I'll definitely have to set her up with an all in one remote, like the Harmony remotes... you know, press A button and viola, watching TV etc, etc.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Have you tried asking COX if they offer HD DVR box? That would be the best way to go, unless your sister have a lifetime subscrition to Tivo.

I would first check if COX has a HD DVR out and try that method. It would be easier.

As for the remote, even if you are tech savvy, Harmony remote is the best way to go.

joeyEND

Auditioning
Tim, yes they offer it.... I guess the point in getting the second box besides the HD DVR Box is to be able to record one program say on the Tivo Box SD while watching another on the HD DVR either HD or SD.

I think there is a new Harmony model 880 coming out from Logitech this month sometime... The feature I appreciate the most is the rechargable batteries and base station... I like the color screen too...I hear the Remotes go through batteries pretty quickly.

Thanks for all the input from everyone.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
The HD DVR should be able to record 2 shows at the same time, no matter if its in HD or SD. Actually, my HD DVR box allows me to record 2 shows at the same time while watching a previous recorded show.

I would think having another cable box along with the Tivo, with a DVR box, would be way too confusing. Plus, the cost of renting another cable box.

I've had my Harmony 688 since Christmas and haven't change my batteries yet. I have no problem with battery life.

I'm not so keen on the 880 because you have to plug it in once a week to recharge the batteries. The color screen is nice, but its another cord on the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks