Newbie to HT......Need Suggestions

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Jay*M, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Jay*M

Jay*M Auditioning

Feb 23, 2006
    Hello everyone. I'm a newbie to this forum and to HT in general. I would like to purchase a nice sounding HT for my living room. The room is approximately 16' X 22'. I'm looking to spend around $1500 for a receiver, surround sound speakers and a subwoofer.

The components that I currently own are a 57" SONY TV (KP57WS500), a SONY 5 disc progressive scan DVD player (DVP-NC655P), a Monster Home Theatre Reference PowerCenter (HTS 3500), a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100 HD cable box (from Time Warner) and a TiVo Series 2 DVR.

In the past I have been partial to SONY but I've heard that their audio line isn't that great. At first I was considering a Yamaha HTIB but based on some of the posts I've read I don't think that is the way I would like to go now. I would like to get more for my money than what a HTIB can give me.

I am needing some suggestions on what I should look at purchasing for my HT system. I know this is a very general question but I'm not that educated as to what brands to consider as far as receivers, speakers and a subwoofer.

Any help or suggestions that anyone can give would be GREATLY appreciated.
  2. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Oct 22, 2005
    Lots and lots of choices available. With that budget I'd split it roughly as a third for the receiver and 2/3 for the speakers. Allow for 5-10% for cables and misc.

I'm not going to try to provide any specific recommendations for speakers but I'd advise looking for a 5.1 or 6.1 speaker package to avoid any issues of matching among the speakers. Spend some time doing some searches online and reading about HT speaker systems in general and think about what might be important to you. Don't be afraid to include looks and size on that list tho' it shouldn't be at the top of your criteria.

As for a receiver there are many that will suit your needs. Unless there's something unusual about the room, a typical AVR in that price range will have plenty of power and flexibility. My personal preferences are Denon, Onkyo and Pioneer in that order and I'm in the camp that avoids Sony gear of that type. I'm partial to Denon but I actually own gear from all three brands and I'm happy with each. All have their supporters and detractors here but overall any of those brands is pretty well thought of. Denon for instance has three AVR's in that general price range ($450-$650), the 1706, 1906 and 2106. Any one of them would I suspect serve you just fine. Consideration that are often overlooked are the remote's ease of use, the general setup and the manual. Visit the each manufacturer's site and you'll get spec sheets, pictures and often you can download the manual.