What's new
World Wide Stereo

Projector Screen INOP (1 Viewer)

Gunfighter

Grip
Real Name
Matthew
Good afternoon,

I need some assistance troubleshooting my INOP projector screen. We bought a house 4 years ago that already had a motorized projector screen and projector. We replaced the projector with an Epson 4010 and everything has been fine for the last 3 years. When I turned off the projector last night (the screen deploys and retracts automatically when the projector is turned on/off) I don't think it completely stowed. When I went to turn it on this morning, everything came on but the screen did not come down. At that point, I noticed that screen hanging down about 3/4 inch from complete retraction. I think it's important to say that the screen is tucked in behind crown molding with a slot cut out for the screen to come down and go back up. I am able to remove the bottom of the crown molding to access the screen and back half of the screen housing.

I checked the socket and that checked good. I was able to trace the power cable to some type of box in the attic that had the screen motor power cord going into it and a coaxial cable going into it on the same side as the power cord. On the other end of the box, a cord is coming out and runs back to the projector. I believe this is the cable that sends the signal to deploy or retract the screen when the projector is turned on/off. What on earth would this box be called so that I can begin to search for one? I have no idea about the screen (no manufacturer/model number/serial number). All of that stuff is tucked in behind the crown molding and I can't access it without taking it down. I know this isn't a lot to go on but it's all I have to go on. I have provided some picture to assist. One thing to know, the box has a red indicator light that is not illuminating. Also, when the projector is turned on/off, I can't hear anything from the motor.

Attachments

• Adapter Box.jpg
    Adapter Box.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • Cables in.jpg
    Cables in.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • Cable to Projector.jpg
    Cable to Projector.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • Indicator Light.jpg
    Indicator Light.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I don't know the formal name for the box but it's basically a power supply for the screen motor. The 3.5mm [small cable] is a standard 12V trigger which, [as you suspect] "triggers" the screen motor when the projector is powered on. Again, as you've already discovered, one of the larger cables on the other side provides 120V AC to the power supply. I'd assume the other cable provides the stepped-down voltage for the screen motor.

Without model information, a direct replacement may not be possible but, as @andrew alluded, a generic equivalent may suffice. If you're handy and comfortable with such things, I'd suggest disassembling the box and looking for a possible blown fuse. If that doesn't yield results and you have a multi-meter, try to determine the required output voltage to the screen motor. With this information you should be able to order a suitable replacement.

Good luck, Gunfighter. I've been waiting my whole life to have a reason to say that! :cool:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Hello.

I have an electronic projector screen that doesn't come down continuously when the down button is pressed. I have to press the button about 100 times for the screen to come down all the way. The up button works perfectly and only requires one press of the up button for the screen to retract back.

Do any of you know why this would be? Any clues on how I can fix?

I don't know what make or model the screen is as it's encased and I don't want to rip it all out just yet.
Welcome!

This probably merits a separate thread as the OP's problem has not been resolved but here are my thoughts.

• Most likely culprit - Screen may have lost it's calibration settings. In this case it might be behaving similar to a garage door when it detects an obstruction.
    • Have you tried disconnecting power for maybe 24 hours and then trying again? Aside from that you'll probably need to know the make/model for specific calibration instructions.
  • Less likely - Physical problem with the switch.
    • Does holding the switch in the depressed position cause continuous motion?
    • Can the switch be separately removed for examination?
A couple of pics might also be useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandallFlagg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale