What's new

Newbie Question, I want to sync my TV's (1 Viewer)

mdurbahn

Auditioning
Real Name
matt
What I would like to do is set up a TV in the kitchen to play whatever I am watching in the living room...be it the dvr, cable tv, or a dvd movie. I have about a 25' distance between the two rooms. My equipment is not high end but it isn't too old.

Equipment:
My main TV is a philips 42" ambient light plasma tv that I purchased 1 year ago. The kitchen tv is a 15" magnavox hd LCD tv that I just got. The cable box came from cableone and is an HD box with built in DVR, I am hooked up to this by a hdmi cable to the main tv. I also have a cheap $500 jvc htib. Would I be able to do what I am wanting?
Thanks in Advance!
Matt

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What is your budget for this? You can use frequency agile channel modulators to distribute standard definition signals and audio over a single coax. If your budget allows, there are composite, component and HDMI distribution options as well. A simple modulator will cost $100-$200. A distributed HDMI solution can run $1,000+.

-Robert

mdurbahn

Auditioning
Real Name
matt
Thanks for the response. I would like it to be cheap...I would hope $100 max. I do not require component, vga, or hdmi quality. I would be hapy with something like S video quality.

Matt

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A distribution amp like this will allow you distribute audio and composite video to 4 TV's. You would then need some method of relaying the remote commands back to the source components.

A channel modulator allows two different components to be distributed throught the house on a single coax. The quality is average but you have more flexibility. With IR targets, you will also have the ability to control the source components from any Tv.

If you want better quality or more sophisticated control, be prepared to pay up. For example, sending HD over cat-5 cable to a single TV would cost $1,000 based on buying 2 baluns. Distributing it to multiple TV's is even more since it requires a distribution amp.

-Robert

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks