Hi all, newbie question here

trefaie

Auditioning
Real Name
Tarek Refaie
Hello, im new to the forum. I recently purchased a high def plasma, an onkyo receiver, polk audio speakers, and i just moved into a prewired town home. I am going to use HDMI from the cable box to the receiver to the TV. I was wondering what the best option is for cables for my DVD player to hook up to the receiver. There are no HDMI from the DVD player, but there is component video. Is this the best? and will it give me HD resolution?

Also, what is the difference in optical and digital cables for audio. Im gonna hook up my speakers to the receiver using 12 guage speaker cable. I was thinking about just a subwoofer cable from that blue jeans place.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Tarek

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
DVD is not HD resolution, but component video can carry an HD signal. Some DVD players can "upconvert" DVD resolution to HD, but they are limited to doing this via HDMI. If you have an upconverting DVD player, I would choose HDMI for this and use component for the HDTV box. You probably see little to no difference between HDMI and component.

Coax and optical are just two different ways of delivering digital audio. There is no difference between the two, IMHO.

jwill242004

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Wilcox
If his DVD player doesnt have a HDMI output then it probably doesnt upconvert, correct?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
punitatbsabo