What's new

New HSU VTF-3 H.O. Specs (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, some run their SVS's with very low tunings by port-plugging. If you don't mind the lessened headroom up higher, it's a fun option.

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Good morning Jack,

The VTF-3HO in a potential 13Hz tuning mode would still have a full 4" of inner port diameter at it's disposal, instead of a 3" port. Naturally, any time a port is plugged, headroom at higher frequencies would be reduced to a certain degree, and I gather that Dr. Hsu still needs to gauge the usefullness of and demand for such a 13Hz tuning mode.

Cheers

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
In standard VTF3HO form (without the Turbo) it uses a port plug and a flick of the re-eq switch to get its 18Hz (+/- 1dB). Standard HO porting is part of the patent, but my brother tells me each one is at least as long as the TNs, so 18Hz (+/-1dB) should be no trouble.

What we don't really know is how that will balance out with the turbo. Other more convenional setups would have to add another subwoofer to gain the same jump in headroom so its very interesting.

I even see some talk of Dr Hsu adding re-eq for a sealed option (at least the VTF2HO). It sure sounds like he has covered lots capabilities and shown some great innovation in this new model.

PC

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Interesting indeed. One could also look at it this way: if the singular change of addition of port area causes such a jump in headroom, it sounds like there was inadequate porting/port compression to begin with based purely on the driver's stated capability. Regardless, it's a nice option to have, and even in "standard" mode, my comments are restricted to below 25hz or so, the benefits of the great driver are fully intact in the really important (more common bass) areas that don't rely on the porting.

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
Actually going back to what I originally meant before we got side tracked.

If going to the VTF3HO was like adding a second VTF3MK2 (+6dB) then I would have no interest in buying one as that is just more spl which I will never use. I don't use one MK2 to its max let alone doubling its output. You would go deaf listening at those sort of levels in my room. The only gain for me is solely in the SQ gains because you get less port compression under 20Hz. Above that my VTF3MK2 is the best sounding subwoofer I have ever owned.

What I mean by "balance out" is, we know adding the Turbo gets you to 18Hz (+/-1dB) with the output of 2x 1220's.

Yet we also know that by plugging one port without the Turbo gets you to 18Hz (+/-1dB) at the output of 1x 1220.

As reported by Dr Hsu and Peter Marcks it also appears that with the Turbo on and one port plugged it gets you to 13Hz. So it seems logical to assume that this "may" get you to 13Hz (+/-1dB) at the output capability of 1x 1220.

PC

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

I have only basic experience with designing and building subs, but this doesn't seem logical at all for various reasons. Then again, assuming that something "may" be the case is noncommital enough so as to be almost inarguable. ;)

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
Yup thats why I said it may balance out if Dr Hsu offers that tuning option :)

A VTF3HO capable of a flat FR down to 13Hz is something I would love to see as an option.

PC

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

I'm with you, bro'. In fact, I would love to see a VTF3HO not only flat, but capable of reference levels at 13Hz, now that would be a cool option.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Absolutely. As folks go off the deep end, it'll require periodic course correction, but it's always fun.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Smilies DO ruin sarcasm, for sure. But I was going for Irony there. Smilies HELP irony....

Unfortunately, The good people at Hsu Research have declined to participate in a blind test with either the VTF-3 HO or the VTF-2 HO ...

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Good day Craig,

How about we actually roll out the new product before talking about conducting a blind test against our competitor's products? :)

Thanks

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Peter, It really is not a problem to *not* do such a test. You have stated that "the new HO designs are unique enough where there is not an ideal basis for comparison with the competition's products".

I respect that statement, and will push no further for this test.

Should the situation change, and you decide a blind test is something Hsu Research would LIKE to have done, my door is always open to you....

:emoji_thumbsup:

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Craig,

We feel that our new products are unique enough to stand on their own in certain respects. That is quite different from saying that there are not other excellent alternatives for consumers, and that no competition exists. We have always encouraged people to compare our products to others in their own home if possible.

If a reputed pro reviewer such as Keith Yates, Robert Deutsch, Tom Nousaine, Howard Ferstler, Don Keele, etc wanted to put together a shootout between our HO products and our competitor's products, most likely we would be very interested in participating.

This begs the question: will our competitor's be interested in competing on this level?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks