What's new

New HSU VTF-3 H.O. Specs (1 Viewer)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I was not able to do comparisons, but I can say that on Bela Fleck's "Cosmic Hippo" track that it sounded great with excellent definition. It is a track that I am very familiar with when listening to subs.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Wow. Love to hear more on what drivers/porting are in this box...not to mention the turbocharger.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I was going to guess one of the new patent pending technologies was Adire's XBL except Curtis posted this on the Hsu Forum-

"The VTF-3HO with the new patent pending technology, will be "equivalent to dual TN1220's". It is slightly larger than the current VTF-3MK2.
I got to hear the VTF-3HO prototype......phenomenally clean!

At the show, the prototypes did not have the new drivers or amps. The "turbochargers" had not arrived yet...they were do in today or tomorrow. So the VTF-3HO prototype I heard only had one of the two patent pending technologies, and was in 20hz tune.

The output to 13hz with the "turbochargers" may not be a "standard" config."

http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/sho...24&postcount=5

I believe the turbocharger is the second patent pending technology.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Well, the signs tell us the ports and the turbochargers are the pending patents.

And that the tubrocharger lowers extension. I believe it raises SPLs too.

EDIT- You're giving info while I'm typing. :rolleyes

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Great stuff, Curtis! Just when I thought there was so much excitement generated about AV123's UFW12 subwoofer with RDES, Hsu comes out with these 2 monster subs :D The more excitement, the better. Man, I'd love to be able to demo the 3HO!!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Really intrigued to see what these actually are/do. I've owned a 1220HO, and doubling that performance is a high bar indeed. The sign mentions "Twin 4-inch ports in 18Hz mode with 'turbocharger'" Since the box doesn't seem big enough to tune to 18Hz with two 4" ports, is the turbo some mod to the porting? Resistance? It also seems to lower the tuning of the smaller sub from 25Hz to 20Hz. And raises SPL?

The visual proportion of the subs is really nice.

The game's afoot, Watson. ;)

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
Hsu tend to be conservative with their ratings, so this really looks very interesting. Having 8" of total port area must mean there is virtually no port compression even at full power (18Hz +/-1dB). This and the freq extension option is what's most interesting to me (not the extra output). The patent pending HSU Turbocharger must work well as the box doesn't seem to be overly large in comparison to some deep extension models that I have seen.

I really love that Dr Hsu had said the Turbocharger could be configured to from the standard (18Hz) down to an optional (13Hz). Thank you Dr Hsu it looks like another great way to keep my bank balance low.

PC

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Good morning everyone.....

paul, I think you got it right. I think port compression was Dr. Hsu's main concern, not output. Hsu's design philosophy is emphasis on sound quality.

I also must reiterate that the 13hz capability is not something Dr. Hsu stressed....it is something that I brought up with Dr. Hsu when we were talking about the "turbocharger".....it was a "what if" scenario.

kevin tate

Stunt Coordinator
More improve designs, more competition, more choices = better performances, values and selections for us consumers/enthusias.

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like if you want the VTF-3HO version to have variable tuning you can use a foam plug in one of the 4" ports and the 13Hz capability comes into play. Judging by the info given it sure sounds like a SQ winner especially since Dr Hsu has put in so much port area. Although it's a byproduct of what he has done with the HO I am glad he did not sacrifice SQ for sheer output.

Before I part with my VTF-3MK2, it's still down to shipping date and the price. But this sub looks great thanks Curtis.

PC

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

Just saw this. It was sort of a quick 2 days off for me. My girlfriend's company has a booth at the show, and she is a marketing manager. She got a room at the MGM Grand, and I had free ticket on Southwest.....so it was a cheap trip for me. The downside was that I had to come back on Thursday for work and personal reasons.

I got to walk around a bit behind the scenes during setup because I had an exhibitor's badge.

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone!

For those who do not know, the HO stands for Heavy Ornament. We felt that this would give the subwoofer something extra special in time for future holidays. :)

Cheers

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Again, I'm confused as to what you see as the role of increased port area if not to increase output near Fb. Of course, lack of dynamic compression as a result of more porting certainly would increase "SQ" and maintain FR at higher levels.

Dying to know what the turbocharger is/does. Seems to effect tuning...

Any idea what the dimensions are for the 3?

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Jack ... Lighten up on Paul ... No, he does not have an audio engineer's brain... the man is just excited.... :)

And the "3" will be ... 25x23x14 inches... my guess.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Hmm. Even if I go a bit larger and assume 5ft^3, two 4" ports (of the type with which I'm familiar) would need to be almost 39" long each to achieve an 18Hz Fb. Of course, this is using a pre-turbocharger simulation. ;)
Seriously, now I'm really curious as to what that thing does...

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
It is very interesting seeing people speculating, I must say! We had some people guessing before CES that it would be a triangular formation of 3" ports. :)

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
Jack I am excited by improvements to lessen the effects of port compression. I have a VTF-3MK2 and have heard a TN1220 so I know the difference in the low end between the bigger port. Craig is correct I have no engineers degree, and I have no interest in talking like I do have one. I didn't know to post we had to be math experts in cross sections and have quote to the nearest decimal point to appreciate music.

What I obviously meant is that my current VTF-3MK2 has 3" ports and one is plugged to get to 18Hz (+/-2dB). This involves some port compression as you are pushing the limits of a 3" port to move that big a sound wave at volume. Hence why the 4" port of the TN1220 is 18Hz (+/-1dB) not 18Hz (+/-2dB).

My brother who is in Vegas tells me these are the facts direct from Dr Hsu.

In standard form without the optional outboard Turbo the VTF-3HO with one port plugged is rated 18Hz (+/-1dB) and will offer identical output and frequency response to 1 x TN1220Ho with 500 amp (500w).

With the optional Turbo in place there is no need to plug any port so both 4" ports are open into the Hsu Turbo. Although it is still rated at 18Hz (+/-1dB) the output increases to be identical to 2 x TN1220Ho with 500 amp (800w). The Hsu Turbo is an add on extra that sits on top of the subwoofer.

He asked Dr Hsu to explain what Curtis said about 13Hz and he said in testing with the turbo on if you plugged one port the extension was down to 13Hz. According to Dr Hsu it may not be offered as a setup option when its finally released. Things like the Turbo and porting are in the patent pending basket, so I imagine that sort of business is important for them to have firmly in place before release.

He said there are no prices (TBA), but that it will be a summer release for both new VTF HO models. Current models will still be sold alongside the new HO models as obviously they are going to be more expensive than current VTFs which sell at $500 and $700.

PC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks