What's new

New home construction with home theatre in the basement (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Damn, they should give it to you for free. I have the same problem with my Pre-pro it came with Atmos and it is extra for DTSX, they don't even offer Auro. Dolby must have paid everyone off. Just doesn't seem fair.
I've never heard of DTS:X costing extra. Plenty of units added it later with a firmware update, but to actually charge more for it? What brand Pre is this?

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Anthem AVM 60
Unless something changed when I first got it they stated I could get the DTS for an extra charge.

20211122_180253.jpg

Notice top right DTSX ready? Ready for me to pay more LOL

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Anthem AVM 60
Unless something changed when I first got it they stated I could get the DTS for an extra charge.

View attachment 119527

Notice top right DTSX ready? Ready for me to pay more LOL
Are you sure about that? I see nothing saying DTS:X isn't included, though it required a free firmware update. Could it be that DTS:X Pro is available as a paid upgrade?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Great John. If anyone can get to the bottom of all this info it would be you I am sure. I can't wait to try out my new small speakers in this way. I am going to try 4 ADS CM5s. Bigger than my last small ones but not huge by no means.
I thought you had Auro built in. I talk to Dave Moritz alot and he has a Marantz with the Auro built in so I ASS umed you did too. But there is an Auro-matic algorithm that supposedly makes Atmos sound better. Have a good holiday and I will be watching for your opinion on the information. Auro is going to be streaming music soon too.
Dude. I had no idea that was about seven hours of video you'd posted...

I have to wonder if Auro 3D has kind of been supplanted by Atmos/DTS:X and the processing developed to expand 5.1 and 7.1 to those setups. Plus, the speaker placement for Auro is fundamentally different from those formats. I guess one of those videos goes into that. Too bad my AV7703 doesn't come with Auro 3D included, so I could at least try it with an Atmos layout.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Sorry for the amount of time involved in the info, but it is a large amount of questions and answers to how, and why.
I don't expect anyone to dive that deep but it is thorough, and leaves me thinking that a better result is with the layout that Auro developed. I am sure being off a little here and there would still be acceptable, but I always want to get the biggest bang for the buck, not to mention the old saying good as can be. I gave up years ago on perfection, that is always illusive, but it is fun trying to get as close as possible. And I haven't run an update yet on the AVM so maybe you are right and they gave the software update away. I doubt it though.
Thanks for taking the time to check out some of the stuff John. You have always stuck out on these forums with answers that helped so many newbies, and most of the time you are spot on with your solutions. Very generous with your time.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I need to watch at least some of that video about using Auro with Atmos. The bottom line is, Auro is designed as augmentation to 5.1 and 7.1 soundtracks, not Atmos. The problem is, implementation of home Atmos, as far as how the channels are actually handled, will vary from movie to movie and studio to studio. The suggested speaker configuration for Auro and Atmos is also distinctly different. I just don't know about trying to combine the two, but I will watch that video about doing that.

Eddie Sizemore

Auditioning
Real Name
Eddie Sizemore
I have my media room functional but still lot of work to do. I appreciate the advice to go with separates, it made a huge difference in my dynamic range.

For amps my LCR is powered by an Emotiva XPA-DR3 and 2 Emotiva XPA-6 for the surrounds and ATMOS. I went with the Emotiva RMC-1 for my processor.

My display is a Samsung LSP9T UST projecting on the bare wall for now. Looks ok but the wall has a slight curve that causes some distortion of the image. Looking for recommendations for a 130-inch screen. The room is light controlled so no need an ALR.

Any recommendations for a speaker mount to hold my SVS Prime Satellites surrounds that are 6.5 pounds?

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I have my media room functional but still lot of work to do. I appreciate the advice to go with separates, it made a huge difference in my dynamic range.

For amps my LCR is powered by an Emotiva XPA-DR3 and 2 Emotiva XPA-6 for the surrounds and ATMOS. I went with the Emotiva RMC-1 for my processor.

My display is a Samsung LSP9T UST projecting on the bare wall for now. Looks ok but the wall has a slight curve that causes some distortion of the image. Looking for recommendations for a 130-inch screen. The room is light controlled so no need an ALR.

Any recommendations for a speaker mount to hold my SVS Prime Satellites surrounds that are 6.5 pounds?

minnieevans

Auditioning
Real Name
minnie evans
Regarding your home theatre setup, it can definitely be frustrating when certain features come at an extra cost. I've come across some brands that offer firmware updates to add new features like DTS:X without charging extra, so it's worth exploring different options

sinisanav

Agent
Real Name
Sinisa Vujkovic
To go back on track, I agree with John's recommendation to consider separates for the room of that size.
Cost wise I can attest that second hand market either here, in the forum or AVSForum or ebay is alive and kicking.
I have purchased all my amps and processor , as well as speakers ( minus Atmos layer) on second hand market, save loads for money and quality wise went above what my budget would allow for if I chose new.
People in this hobby take care of their stuff and all products were anywhere from impeccable to great shape when arrived.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks