new home theatre questions

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by paul_austin, Sep 6, 2005.

1. paul_austin

paul_austin Second Unit

Ok soon in the new house we're moving into I'll be able to do whatever I need to the basement to make it my home theatre. First question is about my cement floor...should I go with carpet or hardwood tiles? Construction will be way way off so i have plenty of time to mull stuff over.

2. Dan_J_H.

Dan_J_H. Stunt Coordinator

I'm going with carpet over Dri-Core panels. The Dri-Core panels are about 2'x2' wood panels with a plastic bottom with raised cleats to allow air movement under the floor so your carpet stayes warm and dry. I have my panels down but no carpet yet. These panels give the floor a more "upstairs-like" feel. I bought my Dri-Core panels from Home Depot.

Dan

3. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

Although many people will recommend carpet because of accoustical reasons, hardwood is fine. Our ears/brains compensate for reflections from the floor on their own.

Hardwood tiles directly on cement might be a little...hard... and uncomfortable to walk on. I used carpet and pad, (over a wood subfloor) so I can sit on the floor and watch if I want too, or walk in the room barefoot and still be comfy. It also stays warm in the winter.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    We recently switched our a carpeted floor for wood, and the wood is definitely more “live.” If this is a dedicated room, I’d go with carpet. Basically, any time you put a large soft covering over a large hard surface, reflections are reduced.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

I should add that if you have a hardwood floor, you _will_ want absoption elsewhere in the room.