What's new

Planning new Home Theatre project, need some advice/input (1 Viewer)

Ryan_AS

Auditioning
Hello everyone,

First time posting so I can't post any URLs. My profile has links to my site with pictures.

I've got the HT bug real BAD, especially since I found this forum. I'm so glad I found this site before I started tearing into anything, great info here. I new to HT construction so please forgive me if I butcher some of terminology.

My plan is to finish a large room in my basement for a HT (along with a bathroom, hallway and other small areas). I've taken some pictures and drawn a simple layout on what I plan to do with the area.

I've been reading posts on just about every topic in this forum. For starters I'm looking for feedback on my plans.

For equipment I'm looking at:

Pioneer 1015
Axiom:
Pair Millennia M60ti Towers
Pair QS8 Surrounds
VP150 Center
SVS 20-39CS Subwoofer
Lutron Lighting Control
Marantz Universal Remote
Xantech IR System
BenQ PE7700 Projector
No screen selected yet but maybe a 92" size

Two of the walls are concrete along with the concrete floor. Both of those will be built out with 2x4 construction. The rear (future) wall will also be 2x4. The right wall is a 2x6 load bearing wall. All four walls will be insulated and covered with sheet rock. The floor will be covered with Berber carpet (double padding). The ceiling will be a drop ceiling and should give a clearance of about 7'-10".

The AV rack will be in that back of the room to eliminate any distraction during viewing. The rearmost seating are will be about 16' back. Behind that area there will eventually be a poker table. The room will have multiple uses but I plan to optimize it for Home Theatre use

One area of concern is the bathroom door located just to the right of the screen. I was going to go with a solid core door with some weather stripping or something like that to eliminate vibration. Possible acoustic issues?

The shape of the room also concerns me. Probably perfect for some type of acoustic problems. Any thoughts?

Will this audio equipment (especially the sub) be powerful enough to fill this room with quality sound? Overall the space should be pretty tight.

I was planning on a dedicated power feed to the A/V rack. Should the audio and video each have a dedicated feed?

Thanks, more to come.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Ryan, what size is the room going to be?
My only concern would be the bathroom door in the same room as the home theater. Can't you have the bathroom entrance in the other room(outside theater room)?
Also, I would go with a bigger screen with your 16' seating distance. 2X screen width = 106" diagonal(54"X96").
You don't need a separate circuit for audio and video, but you should use a separate circuit for lights and outlets.
I think your audio components will sound great.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ryan,

Welcome to the forum!

It's even better to use the same group for your video and audio equipment, because it will ascertain using the same ground for both.

If you do need to split for any reason, still make sure for them being connected to the same ground.

Cees

Ryan_AS

Auditioning
Sorry about that,

I guess I left out the most important parts. The room will be 12 X 26 with a ceiling height of 7'-10". Pretty much a perfect rectangle. I came up with these calculations by using a viewing distance calculator optomized for THX viewing angles.

Unfortuantely there is really no other practical solution for the bathroom door. From a design perspective the doorway should be in the right front corner of the room. I've decided to move it 3 feet away from the screen wall to give the front speaker some room. This involves some additional framing but it's not a big deal.

chris_everett

Second Unit
There is a room mode calculater online (search for it) that you can input the dimentions of your room and it will tell you what frequncies will be problems for you. If you have any bit problem freqs, then you might want to consider changing the size of your room a bit. I would agree that the bathroom door seems very...odd... Can you post some drawings of what you have in mind? Someone else may be able to provide some alternatives. (Different set of eyes, and all that)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Here’s the link:
http://groups.msn.com/MyHomeTheatreP...sandplans.msnw

Some people like to, but I don’t see any good reason for it, unless your amps are so powerful that they tax the limits of the circuit.

Don’t know how “up” you are on dedicated circuits, but some people think it means a single outlet. You can actually have as many outlets as you need. I’d rather people did that than have a single outlet and then plug everything into cheapie power strips.

Good luck, and keep us posted. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Ryan, I'm still confused about the bathroom door. Why does the entrance have to be in the HT room? What am I missing?

Ryan_AS

Auditioning
Thanks for all the replys.

Regarding the power supply to the AV rack, I was thinking a dedicated 15A circuit to a few outlets. Looking at my equipment list, how much power do you think it will need at peak levels? Will 15A be enough? How do you determine peak power requirements for HT equipment seeing as how they may vary depending on use?

As far as the layout goes, let me explain. The large HT room adjoins a smaller 9x15 room stubbed for a bath at the far end. This room is such a mess with pipes, ducts and vents that finishing it is not really an good option. Access to the restroom would be through an unfinished space, practical but ugly. I want my finshed areas to blend in seamlessly (stairs, hallway, HT room, restroom). I think building a doorway to a small hallway will be the way to go.

I believe a previous post stated that acoustics would not be a an issue. How far back from the projection wall should I build the entrance? Is 3 feet enough?

Reversing the layout it would solve several problems, but then I've got a large opening to the left of the screen wall. Will this adversly affect the acoustics, and if so how?

Thanks everyone.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Not necessarily. However you would have a difference in reflection of the sound left vs. right. That could be solved, however, by creating a more absorbing part of the wall at the right, e.g. a curtain at the right, opposite to the place of the opening in the left wall.

Cees

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
You're room sounds almost exactly like my own both in size and layout..well sans the bathroom:) One suggestion I might make is that you consider recessing the gear rack into the load bearing wall. This will provide a seemless install and if you put doors on the back you should have very easy access to the back of your equipment. Do you have any plans other then sheetrock for the walls? You should likely consider putting some sound absorbing material on the bottom half up to ear height when seated and leave the upper half in sheetrock. Also have you installed the ceiling tiles yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks