New Dark Shadows TV show?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Mikel_Cooperman, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    The WB Moves Into the Dark Shadows Source: Variety Tuesday, November 11, 2003

The WB is close to making a pilot commitment to a new incarnation of Dark Shadows, the legendary ABC vampire series from producer Dan Curtis. Curtis is teaming up with John Wells to executive produce the new take on "Shadows," being developed by Warner Bros. TV and John Wells Productions for the 2004-05 season as a primetime drama.

Mark Verheiden, the Timecop creator who now serves as co-exec producer of the WB's hit Smallville, is set to write the pilot. Details of the new take are under wraps, with all parties involved declining comment since a formal deal is still being hammered out.

The project would not be the first time Curtis has resurrected Dark Shadows. It aired as an NBC miniseries and series in winter 1991, with Ben Cross playing vampire Collins.

The original series aired on ABC from 1966-71 and focused on the wealthy and mysterious Collins family of Collinsport, Maine. It spawned two feature films.

This could be good if done right. Let's hope it doesn't try and be too much like Buffy and takes on an idenity of it's own.

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

It is too bad the 1991 version was never wrapped up. That has always driven me nuts...

Jason

3. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

You're not the only one! [​IMG]

I still vividly remember the cliffhanger: Victoria Winters has just returned from 1790 with the full knowledge that Barnabas Collins is a vampire, wakes up and looks at Barnabas and gasps loudly... fade to black!!! But at least NBC gets kudos for airing *all* 13 episodes and not deep-sixing it halfway.

In the era of Buffy, maybe DS can make a real comeback. DS91 was fantastic and I am eagerly waiting for MPI to finish the original series so they can release the revival.

4. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

First, they announce a new version of this about every two years, so don't count on anything yet.

Second...the WB?

It makes me think of mostly poor teen actors, teen music playing in background, etc. Barnabas really shouldn't be in High School, you know? If much of it takes place at Collinsport High or U, I think I'll pass.

The 1991 version was really good for the most part and will be hard to top. Still, I'd give a new version a chance at winning me over.

5. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

6. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    At least everyone will be young and pretty since its on the WB.
    [​IMG]

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I also thought the ’91 incarnation was excellent – much more so than the original.

8. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

All those technical goofs are exactly why fans love it so much!

9. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

I first watched the '91 version of Dark Shadows and really enjoyed it. About a year and half ago I decided to check out the original on Sci-Fi and I'm completely hooked. Sure it's kind of cheesy, but the storylines and characters are so much fun! I haven't missed an episode in a year and a half!

I look forward to seeing what comes of this new show.

Gregory