What's new

New Dark Age of Camelot HIBERNIA shrouded isles screenshots (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Not too impressive, really. Very low poly counts -and little attempt to cover that up.
I assume that's a PC title? I'm not familiar with it.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I assume that's a PC title? I'm not familiar with it
Yes, its a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game. This is an expansion pack to the original Dark Age of Camelot. The original game was far less impressive looking that what you see in those shots.

The expansion is exciting for the current player base because of allot of the new graphics features theya re adding (such as the pixel shaded water, better framerate in large scale battles, shadow effects).

The game is based around realm war battles. There are three realms: Albion (Arthur and his Knights type realm), Hibernia (Magic realm, very nature oriented, elfs and such) and Midgard (Viking Melee realm). You as the player can go to whats called a "portal" keep and "warp" to the frontier lands where you can participate in PVP battles for keeps, and realm relics (such as Merlins Staff or Excalibur). You can at any time have hundreds of players on the screen. No doubt thats why the poly count is kept semi-low as right now participating in these battles really cripples the games framerate.

Outside of PVP its your basic EQ like MMOROPG. Level, increase skill , level...so forth so on. Theres a basic overview for you.

PS. Thanks for the screens. Looks like a good graphics upgrade from the original Netimmerse 3 engine they were using on the original release of the game.

todd stone

Screenwriter
for the 2 who think the pics are ugly, hi there trolls. still pictures are NEVER as good as what it looks in game.

play something before you judge it.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Geez...get a little offended, why don't you?

play something before you judge it.
Hypocrite! You've already judged it and you haven't played it.

You put the links up so be prepared for someone to comment on them. If you'd prefer us to lie please say so.

Those are unfortunate pics. While they may be upgrades over the previous game they are nowhere near on par with what's out there now and coming soon.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Those are unfortunate pics. While they may be upgrades over the previous game they are nowhere near on par with what's out there now and coming soon.
Your right they are not Camp. DAOC was released a few months after Anarchy Online (which itself is a graphically superior game to DAOC). It just hit its one year anniversary a few days ago.
The original game was released using the Netimmerse 3.0 engine. Graphically the game was competing with Everquest, Ultima Online, Anarchy Online and a few other MMORPG's that did not really push the grphical envelope. Mythic used the NI 3.0 engine and the results were a good looking game for its time. Fat better than Everquest (pre-Luclin) with only Anarchy overshadowin it graphically (though that games inital launch all but buried AO in gamers minds).
With the new wave of MMORPG's coming including City of Heroes, ShadowBane, Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest 2 and other extremely good looking games, this expansion is meant to upgrade the graphics to the game to remain competitive. Mythic has moved the game over to the NetImmerse 4.0 engine (The same graphics engine that Morrowind used!). You may want to take a look at some of the original game screens such as this:

Youll note the very bland textures in the game, as compared to this:

Also the trees and water in the original game:

To the new expansion:

Again its not huge leap, but for the player base of DAOC it represents quite an improvement from what they are used to playing and seeing.
I'm not trying to convince you the graphics are astonishing, just showing you what was there before and whats going to be there now. These new MMORGP's being released graphically are VERY far ahead of even this expansion no doubt as are a great many games coming. No arguing that point. Just wanted to clarify a bit on whats being done to the game engine.
PS Mods, if pics are too big let me know and Ill convert them to links.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've played EQ for 3 years, and I played DAOC of Camelot for 4 months.

DAOC reminds me of the old saying 'There's no THERE, there...'

Just didnt have the sense of urgency and community I desired, just kept on feeling like the only intention of the designers was to 'fix' the things EQ had wrong and forgot to make a FUN game in the process.

Just my opinion.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks