What's new

New Dahlquist's in my HT (1 Viewer)

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to Marc at Audioshop in Ottawa for his info and insight and others here at the forum for their recommendation of this speaker line. I listened to them locally at Visions in Calgary, Alberta and have been demo-ing them in my home for the past three days. I picked up four Qx-9 towers. Front right and left, and surround right and left. I have the Qx-60c on order for my center channel(they were out of stock). I chose the light cherry finish for the towers and boy do they look nice, high spousal acceptance if you have one. Build quality and finish seems exceptional for a speaker in this price range. They come with either carpet spikes or these cool screw-in round rubber feet. They are heavy and deep in cabinent size.
How do they sound?? Even better in my house. First off, very nice bass response, smooth and low, really sound full in two channel listening. Please understand I'm no audiophile and my equipment is barely even mid-fi. On the higher frequency end, crisp and clear but not tiring at all. Mid range is detailed and accurate and again smooth. I was skeptical and hesitant to buy new speakers as I thought my system had pretty decent sound, but it has been elevated to a higher level now.
The Eagles HFO dts dvd has never sounded better. This is all right out of the box too, I'm sure after a bit of break-in time they'll only get better. So, if you're looking to upgrade (who isn't), go have a listen to some Dahlquist if you can. I have 12 more days to decide if I'm going to keep them and I don't think I'll need that long.
Steve;)

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

Since you are in Canada I assume you have heard Paradigm's Monitor line. How would you say the Dahlquists compare to Monitors or even Studios? I am on the fence with my decision to go with Dahlquists, as I have not and can not demo any in my area. Any comments are welcome.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Compared to the monitors, I think they are better, smoother on the high end with a nice tight mid-range and deep tight bass.

Studios? That's a tough comparison, not as deep bassed, but probably more of a tamed mid-range and very close highs. The studio is a great speaker, the Dahlquist isn't very far behind.

YMMV.

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks James.

That is pretty much what Marc said also. I think I've now heard it from enough people to go ahead and take the plunge. Audioreview.com should add the QX series to the Dahlquist listings.

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,
I haven't had much time listening to the Paradigm monitor line so I can't fairly rate them vs. the Dahlquist Qx series. They look kind of similar to the monitor line with the grills off though. :D Price was a factor in my decision too, the deal I think I got was probably untouchable for those who deal Paradigm in Calgary. I've only ever been to General Audio and that was mostly to listen to the Studio line and I would concur with James' assesment. I'm using a dreaded Sony "de" line receiver with these speakers and I think they sound great, someone with a Denon, Harmon Kardon, Marantz, or seperates will really hear them sing.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Steve

Marc H

Second Unit
Hi Steve,
You're welcome! Glad I could turn you on to them and I'm glad that you were able to support your local dealer. They are still dominating our sales here in Ottawa.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks