What's new

I'm lazy...tell me more about the HK 7200 ! (1 Viewer)

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
I've been vacillating back and forth over the last few week over a replacement receiver I need to buy for my second HT system. First, I thought I should get a Kenwood unit, then I heard about the great deal on the Denon 3803 at 6th Avenue, then over the last few days I've been toying with the idea of the Yammy RX-V3300. Now I'm thinking that the HK AVR 7200 (available at various places online for about $900) might be the way to go.

I don't have any specific needs to address with this unit; for the moment I'm going to be using it in my backup HT system and I'm thinking I'd rather get a more capable unit than I need for now and therefore when I do have more specific objectives from my second HT system, I'll have a better starting point. I've not had a chance to audition this unit, though tonight I did prevail upon the clown at Circuit City to let me listen to the HK AVR-630, and liked what I heard in that unit. I would assume that the 7200, with its beefier amp section, would sound even better. I was especially impressed with the Logic 7 surround mode.

So...to the point. Right now, I'm really, REALLY thinking the 7200 might be the way to go. Am I missing something? Anything? Is there some hidden, profound weakness or missing element to this receiver that I'm not aware of? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I'm going to be using it to drive a new set of Dahlquist speakers which are on their way:

QX-5 x4
QX-50C
QX-100S

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Well, there is one. The damn thing weighs 63 Lbs. and you might get a hernia from lifting it. :D :D

Seriously, it sounds like you are making some great choices for your 2nd system.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Hey Chuck,

I received my HK7200 from 6ave a week ago and I have been impressed with this receiver as it is as stated...a beast. I have had seperates for the last 2 years and due to upgrading my 2-channel setup I had to make some concessions with my HT. I was skeptical as I have used a number of receivers in the past and none of them gave me the dynamics and bass control that was used to with seperates. I can tell you that the HK is the BEST sounding receiver that I have had in my system to date...I have had an Denon 3300,2803,3802,HK325,HK525,and the Onkyo 898. I have also used the Rotel 1066 and Outlaw 950 for pre-pro's. The amps that I have had powering my system in the last 2 years were the Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080, and a Parasound 2205AT. While it isn't quite up to the level that the Parasound gave me I would say that it provides about 95% of the performance...Please keep in mind that they jury is still out but as of today, I would go with the HK again in a heartbeat as it's performance far outweighs it's price...:cool:

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
Bob & Wayne, thanks for the responses - actually the weight of this thing is a BIG selling point for me. I don't know how some of the receivers that are supposedly also rated at 100+ wpc output yet weigh only about half of this HK receiver can do it.

In any case, the misty fogs of my indecisiveness seem to be dissipating, and I'm about 95% sure that this is the one for me. I can't wait to get it!

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Chuck,

In my configuration, I have 5 channels powering my family room area where I watch movies and listen to music. I have the back 2 channels configured to send sound to the 2nd zone in my living room. I really like how H/K laid out the ability to power speakers in the 2nd zone with this receiver. I used to have a Denon receiver which I could not get to power my 2nd zone speakers, so I returned it.

The remote for the AVR-7200 is the same remote that H/K includes with the new AVR-630 and also their digital receiver. It is a very nice remote, but with one weakness. The lighted remote will only stay lit for a few minutes after pressing the light button. Heck, even my $15.00 OneForAll remote will keep the lighting feature available when I press any button until I turn that function off. However, this is just a small "nit-pick" of mine.

Also, pay attention to the depth of the AVR-7200 which is over 20" deep. You really have to make sure that area where you are going to install it will provide sufficent space.

I use my AVR-7200 for both movies and music. I am very happy with the purchase decision that I made as this is my first H/K receiver.

MichaelSLB

Agent
Hey Chuck

Congrats on your new speakers... I also run my system with
Dahlquists and have been thoroughly enjoying them so far. :)

As for matching a good receiver with these speakers, I feel
that either the HK or the Yamaha would be a very nice
match for your new speakers.

I power mine with a Marantz SR6300, and the new Yamaha's -
RX-V1400, 2400 and also the 3300, have been recommended to
me OVER the Marantz without hesitation for my Dahlquists.
It's something you may want to look into.

Not sure if they still have any available, but Good Guys
stores in the states (I'm in Canada) are selling the 3300
for the crazy price of $599. That's an incredible deal if
they still have some in stock.

BTW: the 3300 is also a fairly hefty, powerful unit at 50+
lbs with a 20 lb power supply.

Either way, you'll be happy with either receiver as they're
both top shelf units with great sound.

Hope that helps!

Michael

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I love my HK AVR-225 and even though it just broke and needs to be sent back to the manufacturer the guy put up no arguement, didn't even ask what I was doing with it. Just said to me, send it to this certain place and if they are unable to fix it, we will ship you out a brand-new unit free of charge. I was really happy about that but I need a new unit by sunday, which is a small problem... so I will call them up today and see what they say.

But the HK AVR-7200's performance outweighs the price in any case. The reason other recievers can say 100WPC that way something like 20 pounds is because they are running it through 1 channel, so it makes it really easy. In most cases performance is usually half of what it's rated value is, but some reciever companies are also honest.

The HK which is rated at something like 100W delivered about 120W with all channels powered, now that is impressive.

Good luck with your decision.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The only other thing I will contribute, is H/K's have a more sorted reliability issue, than the Denon. I would concure with the other posts on it.

I only auditioned the 7200 with really bright speakers, which gave me probably a misconception of the power amps being more forward (bright) than they actually are.

It had some power though for sure, I thought the guy was going to blow the B&W Speakers he was using with it, but he didn't, I made him turn off the sub, and set the speakers to large for the audition though. Not really being fair to the B&W sats at all. That combo without a sub was to bright for my tastes.

cabreau

Second Unit
Chick Shilling

They can't. They are liars, cheats, thieves, hang them!!! HANG THEM!!! ;)

Seriously though, I heard an H/K AVR-7200 at the local B&M and it was setup through Paradigm Studios. Damn, what beautiful sound. I'm wondering if I should return this AVR-330 and buy that online one for $900. Bob, that $900 one that you ordered online...what that "A" stock, new in box? Is there any way to tell A stock from B stock?

Thanks.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Cabreau, the one that I picked up was from 6ave and I was able to get it for $869.00 delivered. As far as I know they are "A" stock as they are a authorized HK Dealer. I did ask the sales person if they were in fact "A" stock and he told me they were...Although that doesn't really mean anything. I don't know how you could tell between the two though..

cabreau

Second Unit
I don't see 6ave.com as being an Authorized Online Dealer (looking on HK's site). Who told you that they were authorized? I see onecall, PCMall, and some others, but I don't see 6ave.com

BobAlbano

Second Unit
SIXTH AVENUE ELECTRONICS
22 ROUTE 22 WEST
SPRINGFIELD NJ, 07081
Phone: (973) 467-3905
* View a map of this store.
* Get Point-To-Point driving instructions

They have an actual store so they are located under the actual dealer listing and not online etailer...

Chuck, I purchased my 7200 from Onecall for a grand. Brother, I have been extremely pleased with my decision. I auditioned in my home a Denon 3802, 4802, and Pioneer Elite 45 TX. It was a no brainer for me once I opened and properly configured the HK. It is simply the easiest user friendly receiver I have ever owned. It physically is monsterous as its extremely deep, that said. There selling for less than $1000. I am truely pleased.

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all! I ordered the HK 7200 from OneCall this morning. They are offering the receiver for $900, plus $48 shipping. However, I also got a $15 discount for joining their PASS program, and in addition they are offering a $30 rebate. Basically, the discount and rebate cancel out the shipping charge and you can get the thing for $900.

I can't wait! I uncrated the Dahlquists this afternoon and hooked up the mains to my P.O.S. Kenwood 1080 receiver, and they flat out are awesome! I simply can't wait until the HK gets here to really have an awesome second setup!

Oh, and 6ave.com is OUT of the 7200. They are quoting a wait of 21 days for this unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks