What's new

Improve the dialogue in my HT (2 Viewers)

rick1969

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick
Hi,

Here is my current set up

Denon AVR-X3500H
Klipsch RB-81II for right and left channel, RC-62II Center (I have Klipsch surrounds as well but I didn’t figure that impacted this conversation) and a HSU sub.

I used the Denon Audyssey method to set up my room to balance the audio, but it always seems like the dialogue is hard to hear, especially when it’s quieter vocals (like in Dune, for example). I manually increased the center channel volume to help but it still doesn’t seem quite right. What recommendations do you all have regarding equipment that is suggested for better, movie theater like, dialogue?

Thanks
Rick

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Villeneuve's Dune (part 1) has some of the most difficult moments for dialog audibility, so I wouldn't use that to be a good gauge -- also, much of the (generally fairly sparse) difficult-to-hear dialog in that one isn't really that important to hear anyway.

Did you bump the sub up from the Audyssey calibration since many feel it's too low? IF you did, perhaps, you bumped it up too much, which might possibly make dialog more difficult to hear.

You might also try dialing down the surrounds a little bit, if the difficulty tends to be dialog being drowned out a little by sound effects and such.

Are there sizeable solid objects near/around or in front of the center speaker? I'd try keeping the center speaker away from anything else, including cabinets, TV screen, etc, if possible -- keeping it on its own dedicated stand away from walls, cabinets, TV, etc would be best, but might not be practical for everyone. This might be the last thing to consider (besides getting better speakers perhaps)...

_Man_

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim

Rick, I've seen the advice of pulling the center speaker a few inches forward as well, per another home theater group on facebook. I ended up having to do that because I was running into the same issue, and it substantially helped.

Ultra-random, but probably the best dialogue recording I've ever heard from film or TV was from the TV show Alias (2001-2006) stunningly superb dialogue quality, while remaining natural in the mix between scenes with quiet/action/music. Even if a lot of it was redubbed in post (I couldn't tell). But after watching that from a DVD box set about 10 years ago, wow, did I get spoiled. Anyway, keep us updated!

disappointed jennifer garner GIF

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Does your Denon have a "dialogue enhancer" setting, or something similar? I have this on my Yamaha and use it when watching with older folks with hearing difficulties. It seems to help. This is a different setting than center channel level adjustment.

I've found over the years that TV shows are mixed in a much better balance of dialogue to music/sound than most films.

rick1969

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick
OK...thanks for the replies. I'll respond to them here.

My model doesn't seem to have the dialogue enhancer. Can't find that anywhere.

Here is pic of my set up. Please ignore the irritating power cord that refuses to stay behind the TV. And if you look really close, you will see my amazing decks of playing cards giving the center channel just a bit of tilt :) The center channel is about 9" away from the wall.

If I decided to go down the road of equipment upgrades, where would I start and do you have any suggestions?

View attachment IMG_0221.jpeg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK...thanks for the replies. I'll respond to them here.

My model doesn't seem to have the dialogue enhancer. Can't find that anywhere.

Here is pic of my set up. Please ignore the irritating power cord that refuses to stay behind the TV. And if you look really close, you will see my amazing decks of playing cards giving the center channel just a bit of tilt :) The center channel is about 9" away from the wall.

If I decided to go down the road of equipment upgrades, where would I start and do you have any suggestions?

View attachment 217105
Complaints about comprehending dialog are common. Unless the center speaker is damaged, it's highly unlikely it's a hardware problem, so I wouldn't jump in and buy new equipment expecting it to solve anything. I see nothing that should be physically causing a problem with the setup. So, it's always possible the tweeter on the center channel is fried, which will make it impossible to get decent dialog. Make certain clear sound is coming from the tweeter, which is the square driver in the center of the speaker

Auto room correction virtually always sets the center at too low a level, and the surrounds at too high a level.

What will help us immensely is to try and describe exactly HOW the dialog is difficult to understand.

If it's only on specific movies, like Dune, or pretty much any movie from Christopher Nolan, then it's probably 90% the movie.

rick1969

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick
Complaints about comprehending dialog are common. Unless the center speaker is damaged, it's highly unlikely it's a hardware problem, so I wouldn't jump in and buy new equipment expecting it to solve anything. I see nothing that should be physically causing a problem with the setup. So, it's always possible the tweeter on the center channel is fried, which will make it impossible to get decent dialog. Make certain clear sound is coming from the tweeter, which is the square driver in the center of the speaker

Auto room correction virtually always sets the center at too low a level, and the surrounds at too high a level.

What will help us immensely is to try and describe exactly HOW the dialog is difficult to understand.

If it's only on specific movies, like Dune, or pretty much any movie from Christopher Nolan, then it's probably 90% the movie.
Fair enough. I'll watch some other things and see if the dialogue is difficult to hear. Yes, Dune was likely an extreme case because it was so quiet. Other times in other shows or movies it's not about the volume as much as it is about the clarity. I'll keep messing around with it. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks