What's new

Marantz SR6300 seems underpowered! Help... (1 Viewer)

MichaelSLB

Agent
Hi

I've owned my Marantz SR6300 for just over two weeks now
and it seems underpowered to me. It sounds great with music
and pretty good with HT, BUT...

I'm running a 5 speaker HT set-up with Dahlquists (fast,
efficient speakers) and this receiver just doesn't seem to
have the power to really play loud. I have to turn it up
to -20 (max is +12) just to get any decent sound from
movies. And my room is only 1824 cubic feet.

I'm a little worried that this receiver may not have
anywhere close to the claimed 100w x 6, and could clip --
damaging my new Dahlquists. (I had a similar problem with
the SR5300 model... damaging my old speakers -- which led
me to upgrade and try the 6300.)

Also, I was listening to a H/K 230 today, turned up to -24
and it was WAY louder than my system turned up to -20. (It
was set up with 4 Polk Audio RTi8 Tower Speakers and the
matching Polk center) at Future Shop, in an open room.

Anyone know what MAX volume is on the H/K 230?

I'm now thinking I should return my Marantz and possibly
go with the H/K. Any opinions or help with this would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Michael

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I have the SR6200 for almost two years now, and I have the same impresion as you, Underpower :frowning: , but as you Im very happy with the sound it has :D, I have to take the volume to -20 to -15 to get decent SPLs, but from there its very strong and it doesnt get that hot. I had the same worry as you, but still runing strong after a year and a half. But I'm runing JBL S26. I haven audition the SR6300, but did audition the SR7300 OSE, and imho it was better in everything, including the amp, but not that much, so I decided to stick with the SR6200. I think if you like to hear your music and movies loud, maybe you should look for another reciever, but you will loose the special sound marantz has. Im very tempted to upgrade to the HK 7200 very nice on music and movies.

Jin E

Second Unit
I have the SR6200 as well and compared to my old Denon 2801 I never got the same noticable "omph" when I turn the knob compared to when I twisted the fun knob on my Denon. With that said I have never had a problem getting the receiver to play at high volumes (as high as I normally would play my Denon), it just takes more twisting that's all ;)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I had a 6200 for 2 years, and -20 was normal playing volume, and I think that seemed to be fairly average around here. I had a 6300 for a week to try out as well, and it was about the same.

You can't compare the numbers on the dail from one brand to another, since there is no relationship between the meaning of these numbers.

Going from a 5300 to a 6300 was an improvement, but probably not a big enough one. I found that the 6200 would not clip with my Paradigm Monitors even at 0, but that after about -5, it did not really get any louder (starting to run out of power).

When I upgraded my speakers to GR A/V-2s, which are 4 Ohm, I knew the 6200 would not handle them, so I moved to an 8300. I thought the 8300 would be strained with these speakers, and was thinking of external amplification, but it seems to be handling my setup quite well.

My recommendation would be to take a look at the 7300 OSE, as Pablo mentioned, or get a separate amp for your mains.

MichaelSLB

Agent
Thanks for all the help so far!

Quick question: would I see a noticable improvement in
power if I upgraded to the 7300 (not OSE) to warrant the
$100 - $200 cost?

Other receivers I'm considering are the H/K 330 and the
Pioneer Elite VSX-43, but unfortunately my dealer doesn't
carry either so I'd have to return my 6300 for a refund.

Any feedback on these, or what option to go with? I know
H/K *under-rates* their power supply, but what about the
Elite?

Oh,... and HT sound is slightly more important to me than
music, but I still LOVE a good sounding music receiver -
thus my choices of the H/K and Elite. :)

Thanks,
Michael

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I believe with the Marantz they have a low Db increase per number increase. I tested the 6200 and noticed the same thing. Had to turn it in the 20's in order to get it loud.
Every company has there (Knobvolume #) to Db increase different.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Micheal,

Any feedback on these, or what option to go with? I know H/K *under-rates* their power supply, but what about theElite?

Oh,... and HT sound is slightly more important to me than
music, but I still LOVE a good sounding music receiver -
thus my choices of the H/K and Elite.
I have audition the Elite 43 and 45, and wasnt impresse by either, I didnt like or dislike it either, it didnt offer anything special (in my opinion) that made me want them. But I did like a lot the 49TX, its a great reciever, I even like it more than marantz SR8200, but at that price tag, its out of my reach, I really like it, so much that its on my future list when I earn a lot, but for now I think my SR6200 will have to do.
Regarding Harman Kardon, I think is one of the best right now, specially because of what you mention "they under rate their reciever", I have audition the HK7200 and was impressed with it, specially the weight and the power, this baby is very powerfull, and at a price tag of $900 is one of the best recievers around $1000. But I can give you any info on lower end. I do have an Pioneer VSX-912K in HTPC, and for me it does a pretty decent job in games, and for $300 I think is one of the best recievers also in its range, but I like more the sound my SR6200 has.

Let your ears decide, go and audition as much as possible as see what you like. All we can tell you is our personal expirience and preferences, but this doesnt make a choice right or wrong, is just an opinion.

Kam_A

Grip

I have auditioned both MarantzSR6300 and Pioneer43TX in my home along with Yamaha RXV1300 (with JBL speakers). Loudness wise 6300 and 43TX were exactly the same. Whereas Yamaha on the other hand, I could play way louder than the other two, but lacked in bass. If you find 6300 not loud enough than you wouldn't find 43TX either. I picked 43TX as I liked it's sound for movies and it is THX certified.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
43TX is THX select certified, just like the 8200/8300. I did not like the Pioneers until I got to the 45Tx and up. The 49Tx is a great receiver, TONS of power, very good DACs, though at it's price point, I'd rather look at separates.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
I would agree with the posts regarding the disconcerting nature of the Marantz volume controls. You have to turn them way up to get any SPLs, and then there is very little margin between reference and too loud. Don't know why the design of that control is so poor, as overall I like the sound of their units. The 7300 OSE is a subtly great unit, with sonics hard to match in it's price range...

MichaelSLB

Agent
WOW... thanks for all the great input so far!
I also talked to my Marantz dealer today with
some good news: They'll let me bring this unit
back after Xmas when they get the new "400"
models in and upgrade with no strings attached!

I've also heard that the new Marantz line is
*guaranteeing* 70% power with all channels
driven, which sounds very good (for a change). I
think this is the route I'll probably go with, as
I do love the Marantz line.

Michael

MichaelSLB

Agent
WOW... thanks for all the great input so far!

I talked to my Marantz dealer today with some
good news: They'll let me bring this unit back
after Xmas when they get the new "400" models
in and upgrade with no strings attached! :)

I've also heard that the new Marantz line is
*guaranteeing* 70% power with all channels
driven, which sounds very good (for a change). I
think this is the route I'll probably go with, as
I do love the Marantz line.

Michael

John Nunet

Auditioning
If you want more power ,pick up a good power amp ( parasound etc..)and use your reciever as a pre/pro.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They actually didn't have a 43 when I listened, just 41, 45, 47 and 49 (a few months ago). The 41 was not impressive at all, it had no oomph. The 45 and 47 sounded similar to eachother and very decent, but there seemed to be a noticable increase when moving to the 49. 222ES and Vienna Acoustics Motzarts / 2ch SACD.

MichaelSLB

Agent
Hey Kam

I deal with the downtown A & B Sound... they're very
helpful! Just see either Sheldon, Jason, or Darryl. :)

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks