Dahlquist Speakers and the Pioneer VSXD811 Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SeanDM, Jan 10, 2003.

1. SeanDM

SeanDM Agent

I wanted to post my experience on the Pioneer 811/Dahlquist question. There was a post a while back where someone had problems driving an HT setup using this receiver and the new Dahlquist speakers. I have 2 QX8's, 2 QX4's and the QX50C center.

I received my speakers recently and have not had any problems driving them with the 811. I have a 5.1 set-up and while I don't play them at ear-splitting volumes, they certainly get loud enough. I'm still experimenting with some of the various surround options and have not yet calibrated the speaker placement, but so far I'm happy with this combination. While some say the 811 might not have the "clean" power of HK or Yamaha, I would be hard-pressed to find a better price/performance ratio than I got with this set-up: Receiver, sub, speaker wire and a few interconnects, 2 stands for the surrounds, and the 5 Dahlquist speakers for just under $1200. That even includes the RS SPL meter and a coax wire crimper!

2. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

Congrats Sean. You've done a fine job with your budget. I too have an a/v receiver that doesn't get much love; the Sony STR-DE 925. I bought it back in 1998 ( I think ) and it was the best I could afford at the time. It has served me well and can produce quite a nice soundfield IMO, for 2 channel listening and more so for home theater. I also purchased Dahlquist's recently and my system has definately been improved. [​IMG] 2 pairs of Qx9's for Front L & R, Surround L & R, and a Qx60c center.
    My folks need a new receiver and I may be upgrading mine and sell them my Sony. I was really looking forward to getting a newer receiver, but the Dahlquist's sound so good, I'm anxious on what to buy now. I've got some gift certificates for one of my favorite audio stores, and much listening to do I suppose.
    Happy Listening
    Steve

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

hey don't sell it to your folks...give it them! i've a feeling the other poster might've had them in too big a room.