1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Please advise a DIY sub newbie!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kincade, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Kincade

Kincade Second Unit

Hello all, I'm hoping someone here can give me a push in the right direction. I've been reading up here for several months about a DIY sub in anticipation of moving from an aparment to a house, and finally, the date is here! So, out the door the psw-202 goes, and hopefully, a good sub will replace it!

I use the HT system for 50/50 music/HT. I have decent mains (dahlquist QX10's) that are quite nice on their own, although they sound nice augmented w/ a sub on some types of music.

My main concerns are footprint (cannot be the size of a large coffeetable); what it looks like (the wife factor), and how it sounds. My budget would be around $3-500 w/ an amp. I can get Crown, QSC, and most other pro-audio gear at dealer cost.

I've been looking at the Adire, Strike, and Partsexpress offerings; and it almost seems like there are too many ways to go! ;-) Is there such a thing as a sealed sub that sounds good with music, but that can also sound amazing w/ LOTR and U-571? If i'm understanding it correctly, "Q" is essentially how flat the response curve looks (low q = flatter)?

I love the look of the sonotubes, but I greatly fear that it would become our cat's new scratching post. Do any of you w/ tubes have this problem?

Thanks in advance for all of your advice!

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Kincade,

I'll give you my side. I just finished a 54L (2 cubic feet) sealed sub. The driver is a PE Titanic MKII 12" driver, and the PE 250 watt plate amp.

It kills for music. The bass is sharp, defined, and fast. I listen to a lot of jazz with upright bass, and it is clean and clear.

I have it corner loaded, and on LOTR and Toy Story 2, it really does the trick. Shakes the walls and all.

My cost, about $200 in parts, and another $50-75 in MDF, primer and paint.

PE sells a kit for with cabinet, 500 watt amp and the MK III driver for about $500 i think.

could you build a better sub. Sure, but it would cost more and probably be bigger.

Hope this helps.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Kinkade,

How big is your listening area (including areas open to it)?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

George,

Do you have any pictures of your 54L sub? Sounds like a nice sub that you've built. I'll agree that not all of us need a sub that can get down to 16 Hz, but rather, one that is also quite good in the 30 - 50 Hz range when it comes to music, too.

I just created a small "get by" sub based on a .75 cu. ft. cabinet and a 10" driver. I can't believe how good it performs.

In a few days, I'll put the finishing touches a pair of 23L Shiva boxes. Kind of small (I know) but, they should be fine for my use - and also not overwhelm my smaller family room.

5. Kincade

Kincade Second Unit

George,

Your sub sounds great! That quick response is what i'm looking for. While i want to be able to feel the kickdrum, i do NOT want the muddy boomy car-audio sound. But I don't want to build a sub that won't impress me in LOTR either.

Wayne,

The room is 15' wide by 17.5' long. At one end, there is a doorway in either corner; one into the kitchen, one into the front door entrance.

6. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I have an SVS cylinder sub and a DIY sonotube sub covered with berber carpet. I also have 4 cats. They have worked jsut about every vertical surface in the house at one time or another- but they have never touched the subs. Not once. I think that the low rumblings from the tubes gives them pause.

7. Alex_P

Alex_P Stunt Coordinator

Kincade,

I've just built the Mid Q Sealed Tempest from Adire, powered by 250W from PE. This sub is within ur budget. You can see my sub response numbers on my post It's a 21" cube enclosure with 4" legs. I still want to fine tune my sub (I'm just greedy...keep wanting more bass [​IMG] ), but don't get me wrong, this sub shakes my room violently if play at or close by reference level. The loudest I play is -8db below reference level. I can't even calibrate my sub at around 30hz due to the shaking (I live in an apartment and on the second floor).

I'm sure others here can give you more suggestions...

Good luck!

Alex,

8. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Kincade and Wade,

Search my name in this forum, as I posted a picture of my HT with the new sub.

It really isnt anything to look at. It was my first DIY project (although I built the speakers, the cabinets were made by Brian Bunge, and the speakers were built from Dannys AV-1 kit). It is just a black box, that is a 17" cube stuffed with about 2 lbs of polyfill.

9. Kincade

Kincade Second Unit

Brian - thanks for the information on the cats. Ours only touch their scratching post (heavily dosed with catnip) - but i'm afraid a sonotube will look too much like thier post! [​IMG]

Alex - your sub sounds perfect - thanks for the info!

George - not bad for a first project! Is your sub considered a low or mid Q?

Am I understanding Q correctly? Q is essentially how flat the response curve looks (low q = flatter)? Or does it have more to do with transient response?

10. MattD

MattD Stunt Coordinator

I used the Stryke Audio MKII 12" in a 15" cube with the 350 Watt sub amp.

[​IMG]

11. Kincade

Kincade Second Unit

I have spoken to Kyle @ Acoustic Visions, and he is local to me! So he's been advising me, and I'm going to order through him.

Right now, it's between these:

Tempest
    350 watt rythmyk amp
    Both in an adire alignment ported box; 214 litre cabinet; tuned to 15.4 hz

OR

Titanic 15MkIII
    PE500 watt plate amp
    This is in a 142L box, in order to get close to an identical frequency response. Tuned to 16hz

Any comments? Would either be preferable? I like the smaller box of the tempest, but i'm not sure that it's worth another $200 over the titanic.

Trying also to figure out if I should go a sonotube route, or a conventional box... Have to decide which combo would work better first... ;-)