What's new

New Car Smell... Pee-ooo!!! (1 Viewer)

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
My new car (2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT) finally arrived this week, and I picked it up last night. I'm a happy camper now. :)

The only problem is the damn "new car smell". This is my first "new" car (i.e. not previously owned), so I was kinda floored by the pungency of the aroma.

For the life of me, I can't understand people who adore this stench! I picked up a couple of my girlfriends after I got the car, and they were loving the it! I've been driving with the window down to air out the car!!! I swear, it's like a mix between rubber, leather conditioner, and Ivory soap! Ew!

First order of business when I get home is to transfer my car air-freshner from my old car into my new one!

Moe.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I love the new car smell, but maybe thats because its a new car. Either way, congratulations on your new car!

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
If someone could truly bottle that smell, they'd make a fortune.

The 'new car' fragrances available in stores don't even come close.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'm starting lose that "new car smell" in the my Civic.

I do love the smell, but it's just the plastic curing and nothing really magical!

Brent
Car is now 6 weeks old .... my how quickly they grow up:)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I like the smell too. In fact, my girlfriend comments that my 2000 Altima (bought in March of that year) still has a bit of it present, and she likes it. I guess I don't make a mess in the car, because I sure don't get it washed all that frequently and have never had it detailed...

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
I think the smell is disgusting and aside from that, it gives me headaches.
Bingo Leila!!! That's pretty much exactly how I feel!

For the first little while I was wondering if there was some burning rubber/plastic. When I pointed it out to my girlfriends (Philip_G, they female friends... I call them girlfriends because technically that's what they are... :D) they pointed out that it was, in fact, "new car smell" and they loved it.

Nevertheless, I've installed an air-freshner in the car. Hopefully come morning, there will no longer be any rancid "new car smell". :thumbsdown:

To each his own I guess. I'd prefer that the car came pre-scented with some of that Dolce&Gabanna perfume that the ladies tend to wear. Mmmm... now THAT'S a smell that I LOVE! :D

Moe.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I installed a leather interior in my last car approx 3 years ago, and it still smells like new leather when you open it up, I always loved that.

My college got a bunch of new airplanes when I was there, nothing compares to new airplane smell. Even the engine smells good when you check the oil ;)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I read recently that that smell is actually carcinogenic toxins being released from the plastic (and into your system).

Jon

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Mmmm, cancer causing car-smell... :D

One time the rearview mirror of my Pathfinder fell off. When they reglued it back on, it had a slight scent of new car smell, but it was just really stinky glue. I guess the newcar smell is a mix of fresh plastic, rubber, glue, and leather (if applicable) :D

Why dont 'new car smell' air fresheners ever smell like NEW CAR SMELL?

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
And if you do a little searching you will find other countries (japan for one) manufacture designer smells into the car so the new car smells like strange things.....mostly food products like PB&J or BBQ. SBT(Strange but true)

Shane Bos

Second Unit
easy wa to get rid of new car smell. Go pick up a bucket of chicken from KFC and drive around with it in te car for a couple hours. However then your car will smell like greasy chicken.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I read recently that that smell is actually carcinogenic toxins being released from the plastic
Pretty much. The "new car smell" is (I believe) all the plastics in the interior outgassing (yummy ketones, I think). Part of the chemical compounds composing the plastic is evaporating out, filling the car with that sickly sweet smell.

Organic chemists, please chime in. :)

It can be an appealing smell. I worked with some plastics for my thesis, and they had some almost-offputting yet deliciously carcinogenic aromas to them. ;)

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I know of a sure way to get rid of that new car smell. From the other post in the lounge I can see there are a few cats owners. Maybe they will let you borrow one and you can ride around all day with the windows up so they don't jump out and the A/C on so you and the cats don't get to hot. Eventually they will have to do their business. New car smell gone instantly. Anyways congrats on the new Tiburon those are some awesome looking cars. In the new Super Street mag there is one in there that has a body kit on it and a different paint job and its hard to tell it from a 94 supra or a New Nissan 350Z. I love they way the Tiburon GT looks. Do you plan on any customizing it?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Nick, I'm really happy that this "One time the rearview mirror of my Pathfinder fell off" didn't turn into this " One time .... at band camp" !!

Brent

David-S

Second Unit
That's why they're called "aromatics"... :D

(I'm not a polymer chemist, i just know what i remember from classes) but IIRC, those are the plasticizers they use to make the vinyl dash easier to work with when they're making the car leaching out of the dash etc... if you can leave your windows cracked, it should help them evaporate sooner

Similar to new carpets/floor tiles smelling as the glues set...

But yeah, it's a shame some of the best smells are horrible for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks