So how can I get rid of the leather smell in my new car?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DustinLC, Oct 15, 2003.

1. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

My wife and I just bought a Honda Pilot with leather seats. I always thought I liked leather smell until I started driving the car. At first I thought it was motion sickness but later concluded that it was the strong leather smell that was getting me nausea. My wife had the same problem too.

I suppose over time, the new leather smell will slowly go away. In the meantime, we were thinking of getting a car air-freshener to overcome the smell. What do you think?

2. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

I am not sure of a way to get rid of the leather smell. Leather usually does not smell that bad.

It might be something else in the car that is making you nauseated. New cars are assembled with all sorts of nasty glue and many interior parts are lubed with grease. When brand new these things can flood the passenger compartment with all sorts of odd smells. Also the brand new plastic pieces are outgassing all sorts of plasticisers. It is this that contributes to the new car smell. Many people love the smell but it has been proven to cause problems with some people.

If you have a garage it might not be a bad idea to leave the windows open. This will help the new car smell go away faster.

3. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

I was also going to say that many new Japanese cars are shipped with a special coating on the bottom and on the engines. This helps prevent corrosion when they are transported on the ships.

When brand new this stuff will burn off and it is very smelly and nauseating. It kind of smells like burning crayons.

This should quickly go away after driving a few hundred miles or a couple of weeks.

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Put it in a vacuum chamber and pump it down to 1e-6 Torr and leave it for three days. That should get those volatiles to outgas. [​IMG]

Using air fresheners may not help -- they may just mingle with the smell and still leave you feeling nauseous. Keeping the windows open and getting as much fresh air through it seems like the best bet.

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I'll second Chris's reply about the coating on the engines. I don't even think it's only Japanese either. I had a '96 Dodge that had the engine coating. It funkified the garage up pretty bad. I can definitely see it giving you a headache.

But if it really is the leather, definitely leave all the windows opened in the garage. I can't see how an air-freshener would make your headaches any better. I would assume they'd make 'em worse.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    That protective stuff you smell is "cosmoline", put on the underbody and engine bay... Heat will eventually burn it off but it may smell because of it...

Jay

7. DustinLC

You guys have brought up some good points. However, a few months ago, we also bought another new car, Honda CRV. Didn't have the problem. 3 years before, we bought a new Honda Accord, also no problem.

Either way, I guess I'm opening the windows when it's in the garage and two, if it's cosmoline, it'll go away over time.

8. MarkHastings

The last car I got had a LOT of this cosmoline on it. My first new car smelled, but it wasn't bad, this latest new car smelled so bad, I wanted to puke. There was so much cosmoline, I actually got worried because there'd be lots of drips under the car in the garage. I thought it was oil, but the guy at the service area said it just had an over abundance of the coating.

9. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I had the same problem once. I hated the smell. Then when summer came around and the seats were 100 degrees I swore I'd never buy it again.

10. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Take the car to your local PETA meeting: you won't smell the leather anymore.....:p)

11. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

12. MarkHastings

13. DustinLC

What's the deal with the leather smell anyway? Ran into any cow that smells like leather lately? [​IMG]

Ever bought those leather for drying your car after washing? Wet them and all hell break loose! Your whole garage stinks. It's leather smell x 10!

14. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

15. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

You could always pee into the air vents.

16. MarkHastings

17. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    You can try to put some Silica in the car...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jay

18. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

19. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I was going to recommend some good Mexican food. I'll be honest, after visiting my inlaws in my new car, it didn't smell like a new car after that!

20. MarkHastings

Justin, you reminded me of another story...

I brought my old Dodge in for an oil change. It was one of those "Car Clinics" at the dealership and they had a whole big to do. They had balloons and pizza and refreshments, etc.

When I got the car back, I noticed a funky oder and the steering wheel was all shiny and slippery. At first I thought it was some wierd Armor-All they used, but it was the technicians greasy hands from the Pizza [​IMG] The car stunk like grease!