What's new

The new 2004 Hyundai Tiburon Hardtop *CONVERTIBLE*!!! (1 Viewer)

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad you like my grammer Moe.

I hate to break it to you, but people giving you compliments are being nice to you.

When people see a Tiburon, the first thing that comes to there mind is "cheap car".

Hyundai's are "budget" cars. There's nothing wrong with budget cars mind you if you can't afford anything else.

Its a good thing there are car manufactor's out there that can produce affordable cars.

Trust me though....when people are looking over at your car, the last thing they say "wow thats a cool car".

I'm done with this thread. I just originally posted my opinion, thats it. Then some fat old men had to get on my case.
Go to a car message board and talk about a Tiburon, not a HT board and see what the reactions are.
bye bye

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
nothing will happen. all car manufacturer installs safety lock so the button will only work when the car is not in motion.
I have a 2003 SLK 230 convertible Benz and a 2003 convertible Carrera 911.

You don't just push a button and the top comes down. On my Benz you need to push the button forward and hold it for about 20 seconds while it comes down.
So you don't need to worry about "pushing a button".

If you want to see pics of my 2 babys, pm me and i will be happy to send some and i can even hold a little sign saying "HT forum".
I'm gonna buy a Viper on my 28th B-day in July!

There no Tiburons, but they will do...i guess.

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
...most of the "bodykits" are loud, crude and in your face, with very little elegance, style, or grace in mind. The Razzi Kit, and a couple of the wide body kits just take things to an obscenely shameless level. Wings usually non-functional, so I like them a little more subtle - the high-spoiler on the Tiburon is PERFECT... any higher, and it would look silly.
I agree 100%. In fact, you may have seen my comments on NT regarding many of those hideous bodykits. I'v even received emails from Razzi's VP and President who have thrown childish threats at me saying that if I didn't promise to stop argueing that their kits were ugly they'd pursue action against me. The only two kits I like are the Tomato kit (perhaps because it looks less like a bodykit and more like a factory facelift) and the widebody Min Kit. But the only, and I stress only, time the Min Kit works is when there is a massive intercooler behind the front bumper, deep dish 18" OZ or Volk wheels filling the fenders, and Tein coilovers lowered to their lowest setting. But at that point you have a show/track car, not something that can be driven everyday, so what's the point.

Dustin's comments are simply uneducated banter. I'v often asked people like him what the actual differences between, say, a "budget Hyundai" and a "luxury Acura" in fact are. They can never respond with anything resembling a solid argument. Is the Acura built from solid gold while the Hyundai is made of cheese? Since most people aren't engineers and don't have the faintest amount of mechanical know-how, so they base their opinions on their perception of interior quality because that is what they see and feel.

Not for a second would I pretend that, say, the Hyundai Sonota has an interior the rivals that of the Acura TSX, but it's a heck of a lot closer than one might imagine. And when you talk about the underpinnings of the cars, what vast differences can there possibly be? All traditional automotive manufacturers employ the same mechanisms for developing car chassis. In the end, the biggest difference is drivetrain refinement, and that can only be acquired through marketplace experience, something smaller outfits like Hyundai are quickly acquiring.

And lets not forget that it's becoming increasingly common for automotive manufacturers to share platforms across brands. So while Acura's precious RSX may represent the firm's sporty side, it does so while sharing a platform and engine options with the "lowly" budget Civic.

I'v spent enough time around, and learned anough about, a vast plethora of cars, both in Canada and the UK, so as to be at a point where I need not throw out unsubstantiated comments aimed at hurting the owners of cars, which come from less respected brands.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've worked in the service dept. of a Toyota dealer for over 32 years. Toyota is acknowledged as being one of the most refined non-luxury brands on the road.

A few weeks ago I had occasion to do a used car inspection on an 02 Hyundai Elantra with about 14k miles on it. I've always had a pretty low opinion of Hyundai, mostly based on my experiences with some early to mid 90s models.

This particular Elantra appeared to be a former rental car, but a clean one. After inspecting it and taking a longish test drive I was actually quite impressed.

The doors shut nicely, with no clangy noises, just like a Toyota or Nissan. The interior fit and finish was excellent, and it even had a padded dash (Corollas, Sentras, and Civics are hard plastic). All the materials used were of a quality fully comparable to any of the Japanese makes. The car was impressively roomy inside and everything was nicely laid out for easy operation. It was 103 F that day and the AC worked very well.

The car was quiet at freeway speeds, no rattles whatsoever.
Ride was a bit cushy for my taste but I drive a Sentra SE.
The transmission and drivetrain all worked seamlessly, the brakes were strong.

The quality of materials and workmanship of the mechanical bits in the engine compartment and undercarriage all were quite nice.

The car did seem a bit lacking in power given it's weight and hp rating, and didn't like to rev up much higher than 5k, though it never got thrashy--not noticeable to the target customer perhaps, but not quite up to Toyota-Nissan-Honda standards.

Overall, given the price at which these can be bought I was very impressed with the Elantra.

While Hyundai still has to do some convincing as far as reliability goes--these new models haven't been out long enough to know if they're good for 200k miles like a Toyota--the newer Hyundais are certainly a vast improvement over those of only 5 or 6 years ago.

I do think Hyundai has a little ways to go as far as performance goes, but they can't do everything all at once.

As I said before, I've worked on Toyotas since '71, and those early ones were not the refined ultra-reliable cars Toyota builds now.

I am one of those who used to look at a Hyundai and think "probably the only thing the poor schmo could get financing on!" But I have changed my opinion of late. I think Hyundai is now a very viable choice provided one isn't going to keep it past the warranty period. In a few years I may even drop that reservation.

So pay no mind to the boy-racers in their overhyped and overpriced Civics.

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
At their price points, I'd like to believe Hyundai models are close to par with their primary Japanese competition. Like Steve said above, they are still lacking somewhat in the drivetrain department, but I think that will come with time. :) Most forget that it has only been a few years since Hyundai broke from using Mitsubishi motors near exclusively. I think they've come along way, though clearly there is much more to accomplish. :)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
It was all just a big joke anyway. Thought I didn't need a smiley for this one. But oh well. :)

btw- Gregg I go to GMU too.. didn't you say you were a Conan fan?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Among those of us who work on cars for a living, Mitsubishi does not enjoy the reputation earned by Toyota, Honda, or Nissan. Hyundai is probably better off on their own.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
5-6 years ago I would have agreed that Hyundais are a poor mans Honda ..... NOT ANYMORE!

If I could have fit into a Tiburon it would have been a prime contender when I went car shopping. As it sits, I LOVE the styling ..... Very "Ferrari" IMO

I'd put the Sonata up against anything in its price range. Hyundai stills does the "value Added" thing, where the Hondas and Toyotas do the "let's decontent" thing to save a few buck.

The only reason I ruled out the Elantra was because its residual was 44% and my Civic was more than 50% and routinely gets around 60% after 4 years.

Brent

Cam S

Screenwriter
Dam, those tiburons are getting better looking by the year. I love the current model, especially the GT's with the 17" wheels. I saw a yellow one today that was just stunning. The new convertible looks even better, so I can't wait for it to come out!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Among those of us who work on cars for a living, Mitsubishi does not enjoy the reputation earned by Toyota, Honda, or Nissan. Hyundai is probably better off on their own.
Not sure nissan is quite up to toyota standards, 2 of my last 3 vehicles have been nissans, they're MUCH improved from the late 90's to now, but not a toyota. Then again not at toyota prices either I guess

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks