What's new

Netflix Series - Stranger Things 3 - July 4, 2019 (1 Viewer)

Should Will Byers get a break in Season 3?

• Total voters

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I agree that MBB seems to get the most press, but all five of the young cast have other projects they're working on. I actually think Finn Wolfhard and Noah Schnapp have the most projects in the works. MBB actually doesn't have anything listed at IMDB aside from the upcoming two Godzilla films. Wolfhard and Schnapp each have four or five upcoming projects listed.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I agree that MBB seems to get the most press, but all five of the young cast have other projects they're working on. I actually think Finn Wolfhard and Noah Schnapp have the most projects in the works. MBB actually doesn't have anything listed at IMDB aside from the upcoming two Godzilla films. Wolfhard and Schnapp each have four or five upcoming projects listed.
That could be the parents limiting her work load and might not reflect her marketability. Just guessing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Natalia Dyer and Charlie Heaton are making the rounds at the various pre-Emmy parties. While Dyer is still really skinny -- probably too skinny -- she at least no longer looks as emaciated as she did in the first two seasons ("just liberated from a concentration camp" kept coming to mind):
NataliaDyer_1536984836828.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I know I've said it before and I guess I'm a broken record, but I'm genuinely amazed that audiences are so tolerant of shows taking breaks between seasons that last well over a year.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I know I've said it before and I guess I'm a broken record, but I'm genuinely amazed that audiences are so tolerant of shows taking breaks between seasons that last well over a year.
With "Stranger Things" I think it actually works to build up anticipation. Much like "Game of Thrones", each new batch of episodes feels like an event.

My main concern with the year-and-a-half scheduling between seasons was that I thought the second season played wonderfully as a Halloween event. But "Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" filled that gap nicely for me this past Halloween. Assuming that that show sticks with a more or less broadcast production schedule and drops new episodes every October and April, then I'm just as happy to have "Stranger Things" in the summer where there are fewer shows I'm trying to keep up with.

I also think it's more tolerable in cases like "Stranger Things" where each season jumps ahead roughly a year from the last and tells its own self-contained story with a beginning, middle, and end. I get much more frustrated with long gaps between new episodes for shows like "Game of Thrones" where it's one continuous narrative, or shows that always feel the need to end the season on a massive cliffhanger.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

When it's a show like this that has the writing, production values, acting, etc. of a really good movie—but just a lot longer—I'm ok with it! I'm a broken record too in saying with others that this is a Golden Age for good TV.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
When it's a show like this that has the writing, production values, acting, etc. of a really good movie—but just a lot longer—I'm ok with it! I'm a broken record too in saying with others that this is a Golden Age for good TV.

Totally fair, of course.

I'm probably a little extra sore on this point because literally every scripted program I'm currently watching is either in the middle of, just getting back from, or just going on a year long break. There is literally nothing I currently watch that runs a normal season, takes a summer break, and then returns with a new season. It's enormously frustrating to me, as I find one of the most appealing things about watching television (as opposed to movies) is the routine that comes with it.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Totally fair, of course.

I'm probably a little extra sore on this point because literally every scripted program I'm currently watching is either in the middle of, just getting back from, or just going on a year long break. There is literally nothing I currently watch that runs a normal season, takes a summer break, and then returns with a new season. It's enormously frustrating to me, as I find one of the most appealing things about watching television (as opposed to movies) is the routine that comes with it.

But there's the connection—you seemingly are not watching regular network shows. With one exception that I'm ashamed to confess to I'm not either. We want the quality of these amazing shows that they are spending buckets of money on—but like you I was ready for Stranger Things 3 last Oct. But I'll wait an extra 8 months or whatever if that's what it takes to keep the quality high.

Have you tried the Canadian detective show Murdoch's Mysteries? That show has seemingly kept to a regular season schedule for about 12 years now. Every one in my family likes it, although I think you have to get a c. $4 a month Acorn add on at amzn to get it. There are some other good shows that are only available there as well.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But there's the connection—you seemingly are not watching regular network shows. With one exception that I'm ashamed to confess to I'm not either. We want the quality of these amazing shows that they are spending buckets of money on—but like you I was ready for Stranger Things 3 last Oct. But I'll wait an extra 8 months or whatever if that's what it takes to keep the quality high.

For me, most of the stuff I am watching is actually regular network or very close to it. ("Stranger Things" is basically the only Netflix show I watch. My wife watches their "One Day At A Time" remake and I've grown fond of it, so of course, they're in the middle of a 14 month break between seasons.) I'm watching very little compared to previous years, for sure. But regular networks are doing this now too. "The Orville" premiered on Fox in September 2017 and ran until the beginning of December 2017. The network then decided not to pick up their "back nine" which would have given them a full season, and delayed the season two premiere until December 30, 2018. So, more than a full year without episodes. CBS All Access is treating Star Trek Discovery like a network show, complete with commercial breaks and shorter running times, but also took a nearly year-long break between new episodes. Basic cable now does it as a matter of routine, to say nothing of premium cable and streaming outlets. Obviously the TV landscape has changed quite a bit. You can still find procedurals and sitcoms on network TV that more or less behave as old shows used to, but it used to be that networks would produce genre content outside of cop/detective/lawyer shows and sitcoms for a year-round audience.

But ok, so even when I make my peace with the idea that a Netflix show only does one dump of new episodes in a calendar year, they mess with my expectations on that front too. There was something like a 15 month gap between seasons one and two, and now there will be a nearly two year gap between seasons two and three. Wonder how long they'll take between three and four.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
No idea. Maybe there won't even be a fourth one; I don't know if this show has been signed for a number of seasons at once, or if they're going year to year.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A few months before the second season came out in 2017, the Duffer Brothers told Vulture that they were planning for four seasons, noting that "they’re going to have to get the fuck out of this town" because "It’s ridiculous!"

A few months later, however, the tune had changed a little bit. "Hearts were heard breaking in Netflix headquarters when the Brothers made four seasons sound like an official end, and I was suddenly getting phone calls from our actors’ agents," producing director Shawn Levy told Entertainment Weekly. “The truth is we’re definitely going four seasons and there’s very much the possibility of a fifth. Beyond that, it becomes I think very unlikely.”

So definitely one more after the one dropping in July, and probably two. But almost certainly not more than that.

Assuming they keep to the year per season, the fifth season would take place in 1987 and the kids would be old enough to drive. Go much longer than that, and it's not really the same show anymore.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
It’s fine if the show evolves along with the kids getting older. Worked pretty well for Potter.

But I think it might be best for a tighter narrative to keep it to a limited number of seasons. Five would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks