1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Netflix Series - Stranger Things 3 - July 4, 2019

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Mar 2, 2018.

?

Should Will Byers get a break in Season 3?

1. Yes! The poor boy has been through enough.

77.8%
  2. No! Suffering gives Will Byers's existence meaning.

22.2%
  1. Message #1 of 138 Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

First series thread
    Second series thread

Press Release:
    Casting (per Deadline):
    • Maya Thurman-Hawke has been cast in the series regular role of Robin, "an alternative girl who is equal parts sharp and playful. Bored with her mundane day job, she just wants a little excitement in her life… and gets more than she bargained for when she uncovers a dark secret in Hawkins."
      StrangerThings_S03_MayaHawke.
    • Priah Ferguson has been promoted from guest to recurring. Her character, Lucas's blunt and opinionated little sister Erica, "returns, only this time with an army of friends. No longer content with sitting on the sidelines, Erica finds herself on a wild mission to save Hawkins from a dangerous and unexpected new threat."
      StrangerThings_S02_006.
    The Duffer Brothers will again serve as showrunners for Stranger Things 3. Shawn Levy continues to produce and direct.

The third series will have eight episodes, down one from the second series but right in line with the first series. The extra episode in Stranger Things 2 was used to tell a standalone story with Eleven outside of Hawkins. The episode itself, and its placement within the season, proved highly divisive with fans.

Production is set to begin next month in Georgia.

2. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Any word on whether Sadie Sink (Max) is returning? I thought she added a breath of fresh air to the show (not that it was stale, but you know what I mean).

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Sadie Sink is expected to return, along with: Millie Bobby Brown, Winona Ryder, David Harbour, Finn Wolfhard, Noah Schnapp, Caleb McLaughlin, Gaten Matarazzo, Cara Buono, Natalia Dyer, Charlie Heaton, Joe Keery and Dacre Montgomery.

Sam Favate likes this.
  4. JustARandomStan

JustARandomStan Stunt Coordinator

Stan
    Eight episodes sounds about right. Honestly, the stand alone episode made me cringe. The whole "sister" story line was just so bland.

I read somewhere that season 3 will be The Duffers' last season as showrunners, and then they'll move to other Netflix projects.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Cary Elwes and Jake Busey join cast of Stranger Things 3

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Season 3 Now in Production:

spshultz likes this.
  7. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I like the show but I was kinda wondering if some of the parents aren't giving thought to moving out of town? I mean, it's worse than Flint, Michigan. ;)

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

If this promo is any indication, it looks like they're holding Season 3 until Summer 2019, rather than the usual Halloween rollout:

9. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Oh boy, so Netflix is now joining the ranks of distributors making people wait two years for new TV seasons? It’s an 8 episode season! This shouldn’t be this complicated!

WillG, Bryan^H, TravisR and 2 others like this.
  10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    That's a reason why I'm thinking of cancelling Netflix and joining later when they have more of the programming I'm interested in seeing at one time.

Bryan^H and Josh Steinberg like this.
  11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Yes, I'm thinking of rotating between the services every few months.

Bryan^H and Josh Steinberg like this.
  12. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I find Netflix always have something I find interesting. I’m not saying I like these gaps in the seasons. When you’ve got growing kids, you’d think they’d want to shoot the seasons closer together. Maybe they are and they’re just stretching out the releases.

13. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    While the Halloween debut of season 2 was quite appropriate, you can't really say it is the "usual" as season 1 hit in July.

That being said, I really like the idea of new seasons coming out around Halloween and would prefer that over a summer release.

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  14. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Thank You! Maybe I'm overly sensitive to situations like this, but it just strikes me as disorganized, and lazy. I mean why can they not release season after season in a timely, orderly fashion. What is the hold up?

---Cool trailer though.

Malcolm R likes this.
  15. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I think they are intentionally holding it in order to build demand, and with the idea that their subscribers will simply wait for additional programming rather than canceling in the interim. From everything I've read, the next season was being written, cast and shot as if they were going to make a 2018 release date.

They did something similar with the latest Arrested Development season; from what I've read, the season has been completely shot and finished, but they released only half the episodes, with the rest coming later in the year.

To me, it strikes me as being extremely disrespectful to the audience. They are asking viewers to commit their time and money to a show, and asking that viewers become emotionally invested as well. But they are not willing to make the same commitment to their audience that they ask the audience to make to them.

Bryan^H likes this.
  16. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    I don't know if this is really indicating that season 3 will come out next summer (it looks like it could be hinting at that). If it is, it could be planned that way or it could be taking longer than initially thought.

While I'd like to think that the creators can produce 8 hours of story in a year, I think that isn't necessarily "easy peasy". One two hour movie often takes about a year from the start of filming to the release date. This is four times the length of your typical movie, and while it is a TV show, it's a a hell of a cinematic one.

I'd like more sooner, but I think sometimes you can't force creative stuff into an assembly-line timeline. When that is done the quality can suffer. Perhaps they just don't want to feel rushed?

There was about 15 months between the release of seasons 1 and 2. This would be even longer than that, but they haven't yet released a subsequent season within one year.

17. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    To quote the writer/director Nicholas Meyer (who was probably ripping this off from someone else as well), I believe art thrives on limitations.

When showrunners have deadlines, they have to think about things that otherwise might not occur to them, and often the best work comes from having to solve more problems in less time.

Almost every favorite work of art of mine, whether it was a book, a movie, a TV show or an album, faded a deadline which caused its creator to have to think outside the box, and come up with something better than they had initially planned.

Take those limitations away, and the final product is almost always less interesting.

As a recent example, look at the huge difference between seasons 1 and 2 of HBO’s Westworld. On the first season, the production was run closer to that of a traditional show. It was a densely layered, rich tapestry of a season which ended up being well received by critics and audience members alike. For the second season, the showrunners were allowed to make the show in a way that afforded them much more freedom and far less pressure from deadlines. Just about everyone agrees that the second season is clearly inferior to the first. I would argue that this is almost certainly the result of being freed from the limitations that would have challenged the showrunners. Season two has all of these lofty ideas but in the end, is far less than the sum of its parts.

Giving the Stranger Things showrunners extra time to produce less content isn’t likely to result in better content. It’s more likely to result in content that’s more ponderous and drawn out. It seems more likely that there will be less of the things viewers liked most about the previous seasons and more of what viewers didn’t like. As was the case with Westworld.

DavidJ likes this.
  18. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    That’s assuming that the delay is because the showrunners are being granted extra time.

But if the shows are being produced to meet a similar date to the previous season, but Netflix is just holding them back (as they’re currently doing with Arrested Development), then that’s just greed and disrespect for their paying customers.

19. Message #19 of 138 Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    It may also be related to cast schedules. Some of them are fairly busy and not just sitting around waiting for ST to begin filming again.

I'm not sure what commitments Finn Wolfhard has to IT: Chapter 2, but that may also be a factor. He's also currently working on the animated Addams Family film (he's the voice of Pugsley).

Millie Bobby Brown is involved in the Godzilla/Kong sequels.

Charlie Heaton is filming The New Mutants.

Noah Schnapp also has multiple projects moving forward.

20. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The third season is currently shooting, and they pretty much have to shoot a season a year because otherwise the kids will be adults before they're finished. The only thing I can think of (besides Josh's more cynical but perfectly plausible explanations) is that the visual effects requirements for this season are more significant than for past seasons, so they need a longer post-production than the first two seasons.

Johnny Angell and Josh Steinberg like this.