1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Netflix Series - Stranger Things 3 - July 4, 2019

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Mar 2, 2018.

?

Should Will Byers get a break in Season 3?

1. Yes! The poor boy has been through enough.

80.0%
  2. No! Suffering gives Will Byers's existence meaning.

20.0%
  1. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor

Doug
    Finished this one this afternoon and found it wildly entertaining. Great moments for several characters. Really enjoyed Murray (Bald Eagle), Steve in the sailor suit :lol:, Billy and when El read the letter.

I really like the nonchalant way to describe El, "Oh, El has super powers." Just routine and matter of fact, nothing strange about it.

2. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Finished season 3 over the weekend. Overall I enjoyed it - love the characters, sets, nostalgia, etc, but I'm disappointed that now even through 3 seasons the underlying story with the upside down world, mind flayer, etc continues to be by far the least interesting part of the show.

3. Message #143 of 151 Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    While I don't disagree with anything you say here, I personally love the "release the entire season at a time" format and hope it never goes away. But yes, discussion and forums like this one do suffer (but I'll take the trade-off of being able to watch a season at my own pace). I'm also not a big social media guy so my risk of spoilers are pretty low.

Sean Bryan and DavidJ like this.
  4. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    Adam,

Once again your summary and reaction is a pleasure to read.

Regards,
    Chris

Johnny Angell and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  5. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    I loved Stranger Things 3! The Duffers (and Shawn Levy) are three for three!

I was really looking forward to watching this on July 5th, I sat down to watch and just after the opening in Russia I received news that a close friend passed away. Needless to say, I stopped and didn't go back until enough time had passed that I could watch something for enjoyment and give it my full attention.

I usually try to spread Stranger Things over three weekends if possible. I did the first 3 on the first Saturday, but then couldn't stop the final 5 on the following Saturday. It was such an exciting and enjoyable ride! For me, this is simply not an experience I would ever want to spread out one episode at a time.

I thought Stranger Things 3 was both funnier and scarier than 1 and 2. Hopper was the stand out by far. I love his character and love watching David Harbour play him.

Tino and Tommy R like this.
  6. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I’m sorry about the passing of your friend, Sean.

Tino and Sean Bryan like this.
  7. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Dang. Are you prescient? ;) That wasn't so much as just a 'reference' to BTTF...

As an aside, did anyone else think the 'damage' to the face of the Russian hit-man was similar to Arnie's in Terminator after he'd gone a few rounds? As well as the obvious get-up, haircut, accent etc. Heck even his walk after he'd had his leg bashed in the mid-season fight with Hopper.

Anyway I just caught up on all 3 seasons, we only started watching 2-3 weeks ago. Without the time lapse in between waiting for new seasons, it is so evident the kids are growing up. Will (Noah Schnapp) in particular seems to have started puberty at the beginning of this season, by the end he was taller than Winona Ryder and his voice was just about breaking.

Sean Bryan likes this.
  8. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Yes, I'm pretty positive they were going for a Arnie/Terminator vibe with the Russian guy.

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Season 3 Blooper Reel:

10. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Once it gets going, “it’s your grandma”, I wonder how they ever get out of the giggles?

11. The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    I binge-watched ST S03 a while back. Excellent! I'm probably in the minority here, but this is definitely my favorite season of the three (so far). Being an '80's kid, I enjoyed all of the '80's references & excellent '70's & '80's rock/pop soundtrack. And, I didn't mind that a song placement may have been slightly inaccurate (i.e., a song featured not being released until a later year, etc.)

This season definitely seemed more epic in scope than previous ones, and I liked the effects & character arcs. The monsters/creatures were very grotesque/menacing, and I liked the "Invasion of the body snatchers" aspect.

-The scene when Will was trying to get Lucas & Mike involved in the D&D campaign - even though they had obviously lost interest - was kind of sad for Will, but also realistic. Most of the kids were pairing up (which you saw the beginnings of in previous seasons), and growing out of "childish" things.

-The popularity of "The Mall" as a hang-out place for the kids/teens brings back memories of that era. I know that in this season the Mall "taking over" the community was part of the sinister motivations of the "bad guys", but the truth is: Malls did come into communities & took away business from the smaller stores that had been established in the area for years beforehand.

That being said, Malls being popular are a thing of the past - thankfully; I always hated them. It's interesting that many of them around the country have actually gotten torn down/abandoned in the past 7-10 years. How times have changed.

-Very nice that Joyce Byers decided to adopt El, after Hopper had presumably been lost.

-The video store scene at the end (when Steve & Robin were trying to get jobs) was hilarious, and made it look like only those with an impressive knowledge of film would get hired at these stores - which couldn't be further from the truth. I.e., being a huge movie aficionado that definitely remembers video stores to a great extent, I thought it was funny that I (who never worked in one of these places) typically knew a lot more about film(s) than the employees did - LOL.

-I never thought that Dustin's girlfriend was imaginary, even when he first mentioned her. It would have been too obvious if that had been the case.

-It was an interesting "twist" to have Robin & Mike not hook up, which would have been totally predictable. I did mis-read her making fun of & berating him (for failing to hook up with the various female customers) and her various other good-natured insults - as interest on her part. When she later admitted who she really liked, I was surprised - which was obviously the whole point.

Some of my favorite homages:

-The various Aliens references were great!

-Erica (Lucas' little sister) wearing a dorky hat with flash-lights attached so she could see in the tunnel seemed like a homage to "Data" in Goonies - LOL.

-Hilarious that the Russian (who couldn't speak any English) referred to Hopper as a "Fat Rambo" - LOL.

-There was even a "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" (2009 comedy film) reference, when Robin, Steve, and Erica were stuck in the elevator - LOL.

I guess there will be a S04 (since S03 ended on a cliff-hanger), but not sure I want to see anything beyond that; they should definitely quit while they're ahead.

benbess likes this.